ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus StudioLive over Midas?  (Read 26976 times)

Cole R. Lofink

• http://www.sonuslive.com
Re: Presonus StudioLive over Midas?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 31 December 2010 10:02

Justice C. Bigler wrote on Fri, 31 December 2010 01:00

I'm a StudioLive hater, but I'd rather have it than a Venice 320... Rolling Eyes

That video was like watching someone get excited about a Prius.

It's probably the first digital console he's ever seen....."I remember my first beer".
Cole R. Lofink
SONUS
www.sonuslive.com

Nick Aghababian

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »

I've worked with Ace before when he came through with Colin Hay and it sounded great. I've also worked with the Toysonus and I don't like it for sonic reasons only (aka stuff that 95% of people don't give a shit about). It's  just a tool to mix sound however good or bad that sound is, and come on, it's Paul Gilbert.

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 31 December 2010 10:02[/quote

That video was like watching someone get excited about a Prius.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Love it!
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

John Chiara

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 02:24:04 am »

:[/quote] Question: Why would you take Presonus' built-in comps over a rack of Klark comps and gates?

[/quote]
Ummm.....because the Klark comps and gates suck?
Yep....I said it...sorry... Cool
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 02:48:26 am »

Jason Phair wrote on Sat, 01 January 2011 15:22

Don McMeckan wrote on Fri, 31 December 2010 14:35

Ace's mix , unfortunately, was mostly distortion. Probably a function of the PM 4000 going through a couple channels on the PM5D

Right, because Digital = Distortion, right?

He was probably talking about clipping the individual channels at the inputs/mic pres, which on digital or analogue equals distortion.
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

Jason J Raboin

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:28 am »

I have had my SC48 sit next to an H3000, XL4, etc..   Consistency is king.  The extra time that the band would have to be on stage dialing in the other console isn't worth it to me or them.

I've even had my SC48 sit next to another SC48.  Unless your SC48 has Massey plug ins, and a mac mini hooked up for multi-tracking with a KVM switch, we're using mine.

There is also the production reimbursement to think about.  Most artists who carry production get a separate, non commissioned payment from the promoter because they do not need to rent gear, hire extra techs, etc.  Deciding to use the house gear at the last minute isn't as easy a decision as some people on this board make it out to be.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 10:02:04 am »

Jason  J Raboin wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 08:53

I have had my SC48 sit next to an H3000, XL4, etc..   Consistency is king.  The extra time that the band would have to be on stage dialing in the other console isn't worth it to me or them.

I've even had my SC48 sit next to another SC48.  Unless your SC48 has Massey plug ins, and a mac mini hooked up for multi-tracking with a KVM switch, we're using mine.

There is also the production reimbursement to think about.  Most artists who carry production get a separate, non commissioned payment from the promoter because they do not need to rent gear, hire extra techs, etc.  Deciding to use the house gear at the last minute isn't as easy a decision as some people on this board make it out to be.

That is, indeed, a valid concern for the artist or whoever is renting gear to the artist.  It is also a concern for the one-off provider who provides a service that includes consoles, snakes, etc., and the slime-ball promoters who expect a discount because the headliner is carrying desks.

Yes, I've had those phone calls, and no, I don't yield... but it's one more way to squeeze the local firms out of the last bit of profitability they might enjoy.

There are no easy answers, but I fully support an act carrying desks for the sake of repeatability.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »

Evan F. Hunter wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 02:48

He was probably talking about clipping the individual channels, which on digital or analogue equals distortion. Especially if they had XLR in through the mic pres. And Digital sounds worst when it clips IMO.

Evan,

Your new light is on.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Stavross (Sam Buck)

• http://www.thereverb.net
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »

I bet their TM is the Shamwow guy.
Wanted in three states for breaking ohm's law.

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 01:58:10 pm »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 18:02

Evan F. Hunter wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 02:48

He was probably talking about clipping the individual channels, which on digital or analogue equals distortion. Especially if they had XLR in through the mic pres. And Digital sounds worst when it clips IMO.

Evan,

Your new light is on.

Yeah, but...

Bennett, not jumping on you personally here as I saw this thread weer coming when the PM5D comment was first posted:

This is a typical LAB moment, though; one of the "juniors" words something slightly wrong and all the "seniors" get to mock and taunt the wording rather than stay focused on the actual message.

I'd say anyone who's been around the block has seen the situation where one mixer is being fed into another and there are either noise or distortion issues due to the fact that at the time when the gain was set on the second mixer, the signal present on the output of the first mixer wasn't indicative of what it turned out to be during the show.  This is the reason for half the DJ-related problems sound people keep complaining about, too.

Yes, it CAN work perfectly fine to cascade one mixer into another input, but there might be gain issues either before the input stage of the second mixer or within it.  Sometimes this can be corrected smoothly mid-show.  Sometimes not.

I fail to see how it's such a stretch of the imagination that this is what whoever posted about the PM5D meant.

Happy new year everyone!

Kristian  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.