ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: disable EV sb122 internal crossover  (Read 18608 times)

Sean Bugg

Re: disable EV sb122 internal crossover
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

Embarassed
uh .... yeah.

Reading comprehension.  Embarassed

Here's MY sign.

Paul Berg

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:58 AM »

Hey. I recently purchased a VRX918sp sub to go with my current system of two EV SB122's and two EV ZX1-90's. I'm wondering if I can disable the internal low pass filter in order to use the SB122's as mid range speakers. I would get an active crossover and send mid range signal to the SB122's, high range to the ZX1-90's, and low range to the VRX918. Would mid range just sound like garbage on the SB122's? And if not, any tips on removing the low pass or just in general would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Pyle

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

Paul Berg wrote on Sun, 06 February 2011 22:48

Hey. I recently purchased a VRX918sp sub to go with my current system of two EV SB122's and two EV ZX1-90's. I'm wondering if I can disable the internal low pass filter in order to use the SB122's as mid range speakers. I would get an active crossover and send mid range signal to the SB122's, high range to the ZX1-90's, and low range to the VRX918. Would mid range just sound like garbage on the SB122's? And if not, any tips on removing the low pass or just in general would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Midrange from the SB122 would sound bad. I will say that even with the lack of proper crossover the ZX1 and SB122 make a good sounding fullrange combination. If you were to bypass the filter in the SB122 and use an active crossover in the 150ish Hz range, you might get very nice performance with a little experimentation. Adding a highpass to the ZX1 would ceratinly give it more capability as a mid/high box.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Paul Berg

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »

Thanks for the input! Just curious, how much trouble would it be to bypass that filter, and would it be difficult to engage it again in case we decided that it isn't doing what we need?

Eric Wong!

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »

I have these "subs" and have done this mod. I always run an active crossover so didn't like the idea of the gigantic inductor introducing phase shift and soaking up some power.

It's very easy. Just get some appropriate wire, crimp on the appropriate sized female faston terminals (I *think* they are .205 and .25") and wire them up. Took less than an hour including disassembly.

Paul Berg

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

Awesome! Thank you for the help. That pretty much just answered my question.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.