ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Boy lighting consoles ?????  (Read 21587 times)

Scott Flaws

Big Boy lighting consoles ?????
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »

Ok so i have been taught programming and live show running on a Grand MA, its a great desk, but obviously not something you can run out and just buy to have at the level I am doing light shows. Out side of light jockey at the low end, what is out there? I have not spent time on any Avo stuff but i know they are rider friendly. I also have seen Whole Hog 2 going for under 5k, what would be a user friendly console to walk up to for someone say at a b national act level and be happy with? The Martin maxyzz? The Chamsys opionions? Just some friendly input and experiences would be great. Thanks every one.

Rob Timmerman

Re: Big Boy lighting consoles ?????
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »

In many ways, lighting consoles are similar to digital mixing consoles.  Every console does the same thing in a slightly different manner, and every operator has their own preference.  And all of them have some degree of learning curve.

What type and size of rig is this console going to need to control?  Are you looking for dedicated hardware, or are you willing to go the PC + fader wing route?  Are you willing to go used?

Scott Flaws

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

Used is absolutely fine. I want something that when i have an act onstage that their ld will be fine with, with out having to buy a MA2. I really am only familiar with the Grand MA line of desk, but more so the syntax of which it runs. How easy will be for someone who knows a MA to go to a Hog, or Chamsys, or ( insert console here) i don't think the pc thing is going to be ok for a national act. It actually has to be a desk.

Jason Phair

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »

Have you looked into an MA Lite?
Jason Phair

Mark Lonow

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/606998/24533/?sr ch=avolites#msg_606998

best cheap real light console

4 dmx uni
10 faders with 40 bumps

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »

What type and size of lighting rig?

A console for a fully conventional rig will be different from a console for a small ML rig, which may yet be different from a console for a mixed rig.  

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »

Mark Lonow wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 18:45

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/606998/24533/?sr ch=avolites#msg_606998

4 dmx uni
10 faders with 40 bumps

if i ever have to program one of those desks again i swear i'll destroy it by the end of the gig so no one ever has to go through the pain of using it ever again...

that being said, for rider acceptability you want one of the following:

grandma
wholehog (2/3/ipc/road hog)
avolites pearl/diamond 4

90% of lighting guys will be ok with any of them, the rest will be carrying their own desks or not know what they're doing and not care

going from an MA background to Hog is EASY, they're relatively the same desk, avo is a pretty easy step too
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »

James Feenstra wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 22:40

Mark Lonow wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 18:45

4 dmx uni
10 faders with 40 bumps

if i ever have to program one of those desks again i swear i'll destroy it by the end of the gig so no one ever has to go through the pain of using it ever again...

that being said, for rider acceptability you want one of the following:

grandma
wholehog (2/3/ipc/road hog)
avolites pearl/diamond 4

90% of lighting guys will be ok with any of them, the rest will be carrying their own desks or not know what they're doing and not care

going from an MA background to Hog is EASY, they're relatively the same desk, avo is a pretty easy step too

And you *really* want the graphics tablet to go with the Pearl.

Cyan Magenta What?   Rolling Eyes

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »

Mark Lonow wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 17:45

4 dmx uni
10 faders with 40 bumps

Thanks for the link, and reminding me I still need to get some pictures.  James, are you not a fan of Avolites, or the Azure in particular?  If the latter, what didn't you like about it?  There are only a few minor differences that I've found and they were fairly easy to get used to.  Having said that, I am selling the Azure to upgrade to the Pearl.  I don't want to carry around an external monitor and need (want) more handles.

David Buehler

• http://www.audioexcellence4u.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »

I think you might look at the Chamsys line, you could do a EEEpc and a Chamsys PC wing for like $3k-4k with almost all the feature set of the MQ-100s and we've had many LDs use that setup. Our lighting guys just sold both of their MAXxyz consoles last week for a song, and are gonna stick with the Grandmas and Chamsys (they have both MQ-100+wings + PC wings and dongles/Touchscreen PCs) as thats what the trends for us tend to be.
David Buehler
Production & Systems Manager
Audio Excellence
New Mexico's Premire Event Production Company
Audio - Video - Backline - Lighting - Staging & Roofs - Barricade - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.