ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2k Budget for new mains  (Read 4119 times)

Zack Slater

2k Budget for new mains
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »

I'm looking to get some new mains for my system.  I upgraded my subs to UCS1s and now I'm looking to get new mains.  I've been reading on the LAB here about the Yorkville U15, EV QRx 212/75, JBL SRX's and more.  The types of shows I do range from local rock bands in bars, smaller halls, ect.  However more recently I've been bringing my rig into theatres for musicals.  I'd like to be able to cover up to 500 inside although I don't see having too.  (headroom is always nice isn't it? ha) I've read great things about the QRx212's and seeing that a lot of people here have them paired with UCS1's, they look like an ever more attractive deal.  However, finding a pair for under 2k has been a bit of trouble.  

Another thing I've been thinking about was getting a pair of JBL SRX712's or SRX715's.  Anyone have experience using the 712's as mains?  (I had also briefly considered MRX515's because of how lightweight they are, but ditched the idea after reading that they don't sound very good past 30 feet)  My idea was to use the SRX712s for mains and then down the line bump them down for monitor duty when I can get bigger mains, although that may be counter productive.

Thought's on any of these ideas?  My main criteria for new speakers would be, Lightweight, Good sound when it's loud, and good stacking height, hoever I don't mind breaking out the poles.

Another one of my thoughts was one of the Community boxes, I'm doing my research on them right now....I don't know much about these boxes at all..

Thanks!

EDIT - I'd like to add that my current mains are Yamaha S115v's

Brian Harden

Re: 2k Budget for new mains
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

Well, I can tell you that the U15's sound very, very good, but I doubt you'll get more spl's than your current mains.  Also, they are a 60 degree box, which may or may not suit what you need.  I have used them in musicals and I think they shined in that application.  

To be honest, I don't know if you're going to find a whole lot in the sub $1,000 price range (per speaker) that's going to be much more than a lateral move from the yamahas... especially if you need to cover 500 indoors doing rock stuff.  

Good luck in your adventures!

Brian

Rick Powell

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »

Keep looking.  You will find used QRX 212's in the $900-1000 apiece range.  Have you tried placing a WTB in the LAB Marketplace?  As far as Community boxes go, you may find SLS 920's or 960's in that price range also.  The 920 is a good sounding & loud box but it may leave a hole around 100 to 150 hz between your UCS1's and the tops - they lack some in the low midrange; the 960 goes lower but weighs more than the EV's you are also interested in.
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Philip Rasmus

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »

Rick, why didn't you recommend the Triple 8's like you use?

Vinny D'Agostino

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »

If you are looking for something new in your price range you may want to check out the Peavey QW2f (don't let the Peavey name scare you, the QW series are excellent boxes).
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QW2F/

They get plenty loud and sound good doing it.

john sanders

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »

With my experience providing sound for plays and musicals I wouldn't suggest using the QRX212's. I'd strongly suggest a cabinet that is pole mountable since you will have greater flexibility getting the cabinets up in the air and forward of the stage. I own (4) of the QRX 212's and rate them highly, just not for this particular application.

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »

Philip Rasmus wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 21:27

First off, I absolutely love the T8's for the type of jobs I do - smaller spaces, very little outdoors work.  I get nothing but compliments on the articulation and presence of these cabinets for duty as a main mid/hi box, and they also make a fabulous floor monitor, but the gig starts to outrun the coverage when I try to do too big of an area and audience with them.  

For vocal intelligibility in smaller spaces as one would desire for musicals, etc., you couldn't go wrong with a T8.

For 500 people, the Triple 12's would probably be a better choice.  At about 80 lb, they are a little bit on the heavy side for pole mounting but definitely doable.  It would be worth a call from the OP to Jeff to see what he could do on a pair.
Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »

Although it would add to the budget, one of Nimrod Webber's BT-12 balanced tilters might be a handy device for pole mounting a pair of speakers and aiming them down at the audience for better coverage.  The Triple 8 is almost the perfect size for this device, and I suspect it would handle the Triple 12's OK (maximum weight on the BT 12 is 100 lb.)- or other varieties of pole mountable speakers.
Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »

Rick Powell wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 10:54

Philip Rasmus wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 21:27

First off, I absolutely love the T8's for the type of jobs I do - smaller spaces, very little outdoors work.  I get nothing but compliments on the articulation and presence of these cabinets for duty as a main mid/hi box, and they also make a fabulous floor monitor, but the gig starts to outrun the coverage when I try to do too big of an area and audience with them.  

For vocal intelligibility in smaller spaces as one would desire for musicals, etc., you couldn't go wrong with a T8.

For 500 people, the Triple 12's would probably be a better choice.  At about 80 lb, they are a little bit on the heavy side for pole mounting but definitely doable.  It would be worth a call from the OP to Jeff to see what he could do on a pair.

I agree with all of Rick's points. I call my T8s mini QRx212s.

The fact that they are 90 degree horns (that use the mid driver as a HF wave guide) tends limit their impact, but they sound very nice up to their limits.

BTW, I have done full sized auditoriums with them, with the audience gathered up close in front of the stage, with the T8s on poles and K&M tilts, it was a good solution.

I do 90% of my gigs with T8s and 2 or 4 subs.

Mike

Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Zack Slater

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »

Wow thanks for all the responses everyone.  I'm going to look into all the speakers you guys suggested!  One thing I'm going to do is save a little more so I can get some speakers that will be a real upgrade, rather than just a new box!

Gary Perrett

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »

I know that probably not too many have heard them but DAS RF1264 (60 deg) and RF1294 (90 deg) are really nice sounding, well built and under $800 (last I checked)...

NSL has them but not listed on the website you have to call.

Gary
EDIT:
2"exit horns and 4" voice coil woofers... get LOUD stay together, and really shine on vocals...
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.