ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater controller for MBT LED PAR 64's  (Read 3724 times)

Tim A Perry

Theater controller for MBT LED PAR 64's
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »

Hello folks. I did a cursory search before posting so I hope this isn't a question that has not been beat to death.

Santa brought me some MBT LED par64's. When I hook them up to my Behringer LC2412 I find the taper is not to my liking.

When I try to color mix and fade as I do with conventional PARs I find I am operating only in the bottom tenth of the fader travel.

I have tried both liner and curve modes on the controller with unsatisfactory results.

The MBT DMX controller is designed for band/dj type shows.

Does anyone have a trick that will help me with my existing controller or suggest a low cost alternative?
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~ Berthold Auerbach

Jeff Wheeler

Re: Theater controller for MBT LED PAR 64's
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »

I am not familiar with the LC2414, but I use color presets for my LED fixtures.  I really never touch the DMX channels themselves, I just created the presets I wanted and use those.  If the Behringer has enough preset storage, I suggest you try it this way.

It does not seem like a very suitable controller for multi-channel fixtures.  I bought a Show Designer 1 on a recommendation here, and am quite happy with it.  We normally just have LED PARs and some multi-channel wash boxes, but this weekend we have rented some Design Spot 250s, and it is easy to use these with it also.  Regular dimmers work fine, too; you can even setup multiple dimmer channels as one fixture in the controller if you want, although this does change the way you will configure them in scenes/chases, it can allow you to control a lot more than 16 instruments if it is suitable to your work-flow.

I am fairly certain my next "controller" will be a LightJockey 2 setup.  After a couple dozen hours teaching myself to use it, I think the program is a very good balance of flexibility/capability vs complexity/learning curve, especially for ~$1000.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »

My guess is it's not the controller, but the fixtures.  LED have very strange dimming curves.  

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

Sounds like the fixtures have a linear dimming curve.  The problem is, of course, that our eyes, much like our ears, have a logarithmic response.

I'd check to see if the fixtures have the option to change the dimming curve on the unit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.