ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for advice on purchase  (Read 2667 times)

Hank Staples

Looking for advice on purchase
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

I am about ready to delve back into a truss/crank up system(shoot me now)  Rolling Eyes . I have looked at global's st180 lift and 12" trussing and was wondering if there were any other offerings that would compete with the price point. Also,is there any pros or cons that I should be aware of.

I will be hanging a few pars and possibly some movers..nothing major..now. I just would like something lift wise that will go at least 17-18 feet as most of the stages are 4' high that I normally work with.
Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Greg Adams

Re: Looking for advice on purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:27:49 pm »

Hi Hank,
Those are pretty heavy crank stands,maybe you can configure something with the straight sections to give you the height you need http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductsList.aspx?MainId=26&C ategory=69
And use base plates.
It might be cheaper going that route.  Smile

Hank Staples

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:26:08 pm »

Greg,

I have looked at doing just that..I just don't like the idea of doing "goalposts", and in the venues I work there are no flypoints to help lift or support them during a show.

Up until a couple years ago I had a crank/truss rig...was glad to sell it. Now I find my needs have changed and need to get another rig.. Confused

Thanks for your input!
Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:25:53 am »

Maybe tell us the "price point" so we don't have to research it.  Until then I'll just throw out some recommendations.  I use the Applied L16's for ground supported truss up to 16'.  Past that you're getting into Genie (or Sumner) territory, going to 20-25'.  As far as pricing, L16's are around $1200, Genies are in the $3000 range.

Hank Staples

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:54:32 pm »

Thomas..the price point I have seen online is about 1000 for a Global st180..and a little over 300 for each stick of 12" 10' truss.
Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

The only thing the ST180 has over the Applied L16 is those extra couple of feet.  If you can live with 16' instead of 18' then I think the Applied is the way to go.  The Global weighs 229 lbs!  The L16 is 98 lbs, so manageable by yourself.  Also, check the dimensions when folded up to make sure they'll fit in whatever you're transporting them in.  I can get the L16's in the back of a pickup (4 would go in easily, maybe 6 and still close the lid) and I've transported a pair of them and a pair of 4 bar Par64's in a Honda CRV.  For the most part I strap them to the wall of my 16' box truck, so it's no issue for me, but if you're doing gigs in your personal vehicle it's something to think about.

Hank Staples

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:56:35 am »

Thomas,

Thanks for all your input. I have a 24ft. Wells Cargo that I haul all my gear in so space is not a problem.

I went ahead and bought the st180 lifts and 30ft of the heavier duty 12" trussing. I will let you know how this works out for me in the next few weeks. Now to find some cans and movers to put on it  Very Happy .
Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:33 am »

Nice job!  Let us know what you think.  What you considered going with LED's over conventional pars?  When you add the cost of dimming, cabling, power, etc. you will probably find that an LED is much more cost efficient, and you will have unlimited choice of colors with RGB (AW) color mixing.

Hank Staples

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

Thomas,

I will have to give two thumbs up to Mike Pyle @ www.audiopyle.com for coming through with an excellent price on the system. I have 16 par 56's and nsi 6000+ dimmers on tripods now...and a few of those dimmers as extras. I will only be putting a few conventional pars in the center of this trussing for front lighting as well as a couple of moving heads for spot and effects. I do have 8 VEI par 64's that I use for small events...and have been happy with them for what it is.

Im like a lot of folks..just doing this as a weekend warrior type of thing..but trying to keep it professional...so no big money to back me up. I have to save and buy as I can. I would LOVE to use LED's..but they are still cost prohibitive compared to conventional pars right now. Once I can get some bright ones in the range of a loaded par 64 I will be happy to go that route.

Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

If you're buying from scratch LED's are much more cost efficient, but I can see that they would not be the best choice if you already have dimmers, pars, cabling, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.