Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer FUD Forum Archive

Retiring LABS - its been a good run

(1/2) > >>

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney):
I can't believe it has been around 9 years since I built my first set of LABS.

Well.. my crappy nightclub with 8 labs in it is finally shutting down for a massive remodel. Part of the project involves removing the LABs in place in favor for a turnkey line array system with matching subs.

In 9 years of HEAVY club use (mostly Rap nights and Techno nights) we pulled 1 driver out with a broken lead.. and 1 fried driver (I'm sure it was a defect). For a good 5 of those years the club was cranking 6 nights a week!! Thats like over 2500 gigs!!!!

Cabinets were built well and show no signs of breaking down yet. Just an example of how great this design is.. when properly carried out.

Art Welter:
Jeff,

That was a good run.
What amps and processing were you using on the Lab subs?

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney):
Art Welter wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 15:13
Jeff,

That was a good run.

Had many different power amps over the years due to failures on cheap amps (ala RMX, older MX)

The final configuration was 2 older VZ5000's and 1 PL380
(4 labs on the 380, 2 each on the 5000). the 380 is my favorite 'bang for your buck' amp. Then it would be powersoft.

Processing by DBX 260 using 2 channels mono to arc. They were all in 1 big block of 8.

Art Welter:
jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Thu, 23 December 2010 07:13
Art Welter wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 15:13
Jeff,

That was a good run.

Had many different power amps over the years due to failures on cheap amps (ala RMX, older MX)

The final configuration was 2 older VZ5000's and 1 PL380
(4 labs on the 380, 2 each on the 5000). the 380 is my favorite 'bang for your buck' amp. Then it would be powersoft.

Processing by DBX 260 using 2 channels mono to arc. They were all in 1 big block of 8.

Thanks. That's some decent power.
What do you mean by "mono to arc"?
Delay on outer cabinets?

drewgandy:
jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 08:13

Well.. my crappy nightclub with 8 labs in it is finally shutting down for a massive remodel. Part of the project involves removing the LABs in place in favor for a turnkey line array system with matching subs.

So I'm sure you're braced for the disappointment with the new 'matching subs' but is the owner?  

drew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version