ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trig? help... anyone?  (Read 13126 times)

Phil LaDue

Re: Trig? help... anyone?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »

Have you contacted the commanding officer of the station the trooper works out of?

Station H-4
250 Leverett Circle
Boston, MA 02114
Telephone: (617) 727-6780

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 11:11

Have you contacted the commanding officer of the station the trooper works out of?

This is one of the things that gets me about Chicago cops.  I got a ticket for right-turn-on-red in a no-right-on-red intersection a few years ago.  It happened late night after a downtown gig and I didn't get pulled over till several blocks after the turn so I was rather dumbfounded about whether I actually did the deed.  The next day I tried to call to at least get the name of the officer to find out where they were hiding at the time and the dept couldn't tell me who it was.  I had a badge # (and a 'doctor autograph') on the ticket but they acted like they had no way of correlating the # to a name.  After some time on the phone I realized that I wasn't going to talk to anyone who had any details about my ticket.  I decided it was just another example of the city's simple predator-prey system and chose to do the driving school.  But I was really ticked for awhile that I couldn't face my accuser without going to court; which in time alone cost the face value of the ticket let alone that it's a gamble on whether you will win or lose.  Then after a while I realized that there are much more important issues that society needs to fix before putting effort into the injustice of traffic stops.  
That said, this issue obviously still rubs me wrong.  

btw, are there any issues with audio recording the interaction with an officer during a traffic stop?  

btwII I'm very impressed at the prolific speeding efforts of many of the posters.

drew

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »

drewgandy wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 23:08

Phil LaDue wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 11:11

This is one of the things that gets me about Chicago cops.  I got a ticket for right-turn-on-red in a no-right-on-red intersection a few years ago.  It happened late night after a downtown gig and I didn't get pulled over till several blocks after the turn so I was rather dumbfounded about whether I actually did the deed.  The next day I tried to call to at least get the name of the officer to find out where they were hiding at the time and the dept couldn't tell me who it was.  I had a badge # (and a 'doctor autograph') on the ticket but they acted like they had no way of correlating the # to a name.  After some time on the phone I realized that I wasn't going to talk to anyone who had any details about my ticket.  I decided it was just another example of the city's simple predator-prey system and chose to do the driving school.  But I was really ticked for awhile that I couldn't face my accuser without going to court; which in time alone cost the face value of the ticket let alone that it's a gamble on whether you will win or lose.  Then after a while I realized that there are much more important issues that society needs to fix before putting effort into the injustice of traffic stops.  
That said, this issue obviously still rubs me wrong.  

btw, are there any issues with audio recording the interaction with an officer during a traffic stop?  

btwII I'm very impressed at the prolific speeding efforts of many of the posters.

drew

No, there are no legal issues, other than pissing off some Cop.  People that have positions of power, generally do not like to have their authority challenged. Being recorded, can be perceived as a challenge to their authority, especially if the recording device is not something that they were "prepared" for.

But, if the Cop doesn't know that you're recording, he cannot over act in regards to the recording device. If you're going to record, I'd suggest you keep the whole process as low-key as possible. Start the device, and DO NOT TOUCH IT until the event is completely over, and the Cop has left the scene.

Touching this device could be perceived as a physical threat to the officer, netting you a bullet.

In regards to "interaction" with an Officer during a stop....don't say anything and don't admit to anything.  

If stopped, pull to a safe location at the side of the road. Turn off your vehicle and wait for the officer to approach your vehicle with both of your hands on the steering wheel.

Bring out your license, insurance and registration, only if the officer requests them.

And, you don't not have to answer ANY questions asked by an officer...the Law states that you only have to provide identification, proof of insurance and the vehicle's registration.

If you're not under arrest, ask if you're free to go. This statement will prompt him to do SOMETHING...either arrest you, ticket you, or let you leave.

Good Luck, stay safe, and obey the traffic Laws...they're probably the most sane of our Laws.

Hammer

ps. consult your attorney for Legal advice..disclaimer.

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Andy Zimmerman

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 09:00:28 AM »

drew

You would have to look into the laws in your state to be certain, but in general you can't record such audio without the permission of all parties involved (ie the officer). Doing so w/o permission can lead to more problems (ie additional charges).

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »

Andy Zimmerman wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 08:00

drew

You would have to look into the laws in your state to be certain, but in general you can't record such audio without the permission of all parties involved (ie the officer). Doing so w/o permission can lead to more problems (ie additional charges).

Nonsense. You are in a public place. You can record inside your vehicle, it is your property.  The Laws regarding recording stipulate that as long as one party knows of the recording, it is legal.

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 16:58

drew

Nonsense. You are in a public place. You can record inside your vehicle, it is your property.  The Laws regarding recording stipulate that as long as one party knows of the recording, it is legal.

Hammer

Does this mean that in the USA, the cab companies can audio/video record you without even putting a sticker on the dash warning you that they are?

Andy Zimmerman

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 09:58

drew

Hammer

Like I said, you would have to look into the laws in your state to be certain. Here is an overview I found thru a quick search.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Randy Pence

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »

Public place, public servant, and you are taping yourself for your own protection.

Andy Zimmerman

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »

Randy Pence wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 13:24

Public place, public servant, and you are taping yourself for your own protection.

Possibly. But from what I have read, some police officers don't care to be recorded (audio/video/photo) while preforming their duties, and there are a number of instances I have heard of where the officer will demand that the recording device be turned off, regardless of his/her legal justification for doing so. With such an officer, discovery of a hidden recording device is going to further complicate matters. Also, AFAIK the whole point of making a recording is to use in a court of law - which if the recording is illegal in the first place, so much for that idea. You could also display the recording in the press or on YouTube, but an illegal recording can get you in trouble here also. Bottom line, how much court battle and legal fees are you willing to go through over a speeding ticket?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »

Andy Zimmerman wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 18:52

Randy Pence wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 13:24

Possibly. But from what I have read, some police officers don't care to be recorded (audio/video/photo) while preforming their duties, and there are a number of instances I have heard of where the officer will demand that the recording device be turned off, regardless of his/her legal justification for doing so. With such an officer, discovery of a hidden recording device is going to further complicate matters. Also, AFAIK the whole point of making a recording is to use in a court of law - which if the recording is illegal in the first place, so much for that idea. You could also display the recording in the press or on YouTube, but an illegal recording can get you in trouble here also. Bottom line, how much court battle and legal fees are you willing to go through over a speeding ticket?

Re-read Hammer's post, as it is generally correct.

If you are in a place where there is no inherent expectation of privacy (street, sidewalk, common areas of private property such as a hotel lobby or restaurant dining room); any private place which you own, lease or rent; one is free to record any conversation or activity to which that individual is a party.

Recording conversations that are not face to face, in-person encounters are different, as are recordings made without the knowledge (and presumably, consent) of the individuals involved.  The link to the Reporter's Freedom of the Press page highlights how these are different from recording in-person encounters.

Many law enforcement agencies record audio or audio & video of every officer encounter with the public.  In my area, the Kansas Highway Patrol and Sedgwick County Sheriff have recorders & cameras in every patrol vehicle, and the city PD is outfitting their cars gradually.  Oddly, the people who clamored for recorders are finding "their people" don't seem quite as innocent or maligned as their leaders believed.  Oops, might be drifting into verboten territory...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. recording encounters with L.E.O., unless it's already being done by the departments, is likely to be seen by the officer as provocative but any decent cop will just nod and go on.
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.