Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmmm  (Read 2437 times)

Gus Housen

Hmmm
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »

Ok so I am finally @ the point where I need to go to at least some DMX. Currenty I use all NSI Microplex rig mount ( dds 6000 + and nrd 5000 and 4600 packsdimmers.
Should I convert each pack or some of the packs like the 6000's or should I just relace the packs with cheap AMDJ/ chauvet/behringer dimmers. The cost to retrofit looks as expensive as buying dome cheap dimmers.

I do small to medium festivals typically no more than 24 cans per stage and typically each can is 600 watts (dys)or less 500 watt incandesant.

I have thought about going LED but I have tons of cans. I dont have moving lights.
Does any one still make a can retrofit Kit
Going to rack mount dimmers always seems like a great idea but typically my venues dont have anything other than edison. I considered just buying some old rackmount packs (eta) and getting a DMX to analog converter but getting more than 20amps on a edison is difficult to get supplied in my market.

You rock...We roll!

Ben Lawrence

• http://vtaudiovisual.com/
Re: Hmmm
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:25 pm »

It seems like if your just getting 20a on edison  a LED solution is going to be inevitable. The color Blending might offer you the option of using less total fixtures as well. The downside is obviously cost.

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:59:09 am »

Check into a dmx-MPX converter. It would be cheaper than buying new packs or converting the old ones IF you have more than 3 or more packs. There are at 2 available, the NSI and another (cheaper) unit. Do a search in this forum or google for the links.

LED's are still getting cheaper and better, but the demands on a conventional analog dimming desk can be overwhelming, so make sure you are prepared for this as well.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

I second the idea of using a DMX to Microplex converter. You retain the advantage of distributed dimmer packs for 20A circuits and gain the flexibility of DMX control for future LEDs or other DMX devices. The DMX-Tools DMX-lator I is selling for $150 via Ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/DMX-Lator-DMX-Microplex-Protocol-Convert er-/180600283371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0c9da0 eb#ht_500wt_920) or the Lightronics TX-30 can be had for around $250 on Ebay as well.

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »

I have installed a couple of DMX Tools DMX-Lators in churches and they do their job perfectly without taking up a lot of space or even having to think about them after installation.  That $150 one on eBay is a good price, but let me know if you're interested in buying new as I am a dealer.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »

If you truly have that much conventional lighting with tree packs you should be looking into the LED upgrade path soon. You can still sell the stuff you have now before it becomes worthless. Which will be very soon BTW.

Look at what happened to the Analog sound console market! You can't hardly sell an analog desk right now. And if you do, you're only getting pennies on the dollar.

LED's are dropping in price FAST. It's only a matter of time before every band and provider out there has an led rig the size of your par rig. The only problem is, the LED rigs will offer up way more colors, less heat, less power draw, much better saturation, way lower cost of operation, and some fancy effects that you can't do with your pars.

I say sell off most of what you've got and start buying LED. You can keep 2-4 trees of pars to use as front lighting. Having an incandescent lamp for front lighting is still a good choice. The time to sell is NOW because bands are still buying what you have. This will not be the case starting as early as next year!

Gus Housen

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:35 pm »

Tim I think your right. Par can rental is almost non existant. I think looking to other solutions is important. I think Keeping 36-40 Fixtures and dimming channels  will probably be the way to go. I will probably Keep 16 par 64's and 8 par 56 and maybe 8 par 46 and a set of 4 mini lekos. Everything else should be sold. Probably only Keep the 64's and the leko's eventually.
Looking @ ebay i should at least sell the smaller 600wpc packs while i can still get something for them.
You rock...We roll!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.