ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Fitzmaurice - Titan 48's & DR300's  (Read 37509 times)

Jeff Wheeler

Re: Bill Fitzmaurice - Titan 48's & DR300's
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »

1) The Bill Fitzmaurice subwoofer designs are of little merit.  If you search my posts on DJForums.com, you can find a thread where I debunked Bill's own claims of his subwoofers' performance, and clearly demonstrate that not only are commercially-available subwoofers smaller, easier to move, carry a recognized logo, have resale value, and are easy to find for rental or demonstration before you commit to buy them; they are unquestionably more cost-effective than Bill's DIY designs, dollar for dollar, even if you consider the value of your time and tools as zero.

2) If it were "easy" to design and build a line array element, I am sure more manufacturers would be competing in this market.  Note that there are many companies building trap boxes, and far fewer companies building line array elements.  If it were easy to do, it stands to reason that a lot more small- and mid-sized production companies would own a line array, and that industry acceptance of line arrays without a major brand name attached to the boxes would increase.

It also stands to reason that you would see Bill Fitzmaurice line arrays at every county fair, because the local sound provider would build himself some boxes and put on a big show.

I don't mind saying that I think your project is extremely foolish, and as Mac said, you will probably end up with a pile of firewood.  You definitely will not make any regional or bigger artists want to book at your venue again.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Gary Perrett

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »

I have built a few of the Fitz pieces, and while for small gigs they  would be ok, for larger systems with high SPl's not so much...The construction is usually "lightweight" and "hey you can go this with a skillsaw and a set of clamps!

Like Tom Danley said... he was always wondering where the computer modeled output was lost in the Jericho horn till they went to 1" ply and stiffer bracing.

There are just some area's skimping won't equate to quality, and one thing about the Fitz pieces he is more worried about weight and cost more than quality and longevity.  

The Labsub on the other hand is a real winner. 8 would be killer in a center cluster.

As for the Fitz 300's ...looks like 2, 90X40 horns in coincidence would not be very practical vertically arrayed. With a short horn like that you will begin to loose pattern control quickly.

Labsubs are a challenge to build and not terribly expensive, Long throw DIY tops will be a challenge as well but much more expensive to build.

I would look elsewhere for some good used boxes like others have suggested...

My $.02
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Dave Rickard

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »

John Marsh wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 12:30

One of the venues that I DJ for on a weekly basis is looking at building a Concert PA system for their outdoor pavilion. The audience size is roughly the size of two high-school baseball fields.

They don't have the working capital needed to be able to purchase high-end line arrays such as EAW's and the like.

I have a solid background in woodworking, and have built my own speakers before with great success. I've been looking through different speaker plans that are out there and wanted to get the opinions of anyone who has real-world experience with the following:

Bill Fitzmaurice's Titan 48's
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T48.html

Bill Fitzmaurice's DR 300 Concert PA tops
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR300.html

Titan 48's SPL Comparisons
 http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4 40

These DIY speakers boast a lot of large claims, and i'm wanting to know if these claims can be substantiated. I am very accurate in my building, so they would be built to specification, with no issues regarding air-leaks, incorrect horn angles, etc.

Some questions I'd like input on are things like:

1.) They state in the SPL chart that the Titan 48 pretty much across the board achieves a higher 1W/1M SPL than the EAW SB850. Is this true?

2.) What is the sound quality like for these DIY Cabinet? (If you've experienced them in person)

3.) Overall do you think this combination of cabinets would suit an outdoor venue the size I described, and if so, what would your estimate be for the number of subwoofers and full-range speakers needed?

4.) Any additional input that you can think of that may be of assistance in deciding which direction to go with this build.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone and everyone Smile

~ John Marsh

Search threads here for "Fitzmaurice"  "Titan" and "Tuba".  Lots of info from current and former users.

I have Tuba 30's (4012HO driver) that "just sit" now that I use UCS1P's.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »

Gary Perrett wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 17:19

As for the Fitz 300's ...looks like 2, 90X40 horns in coincidence would not be very practical vertically arrayed. With a short horn like that you will begin to loose pattern control quickly.

I can't post any comments on other products on the board, but the orientation of the horns bothers me in both the vertical (as you noted) but the horizontal coverage could not be very wide.

The horn is around 40
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

In a very small nutshell, the BFM DIY gear ends up being a slight step above your entry level equipment. (Yamaha SM/CM series, Gemini, Samson, etc.)  So for people that are on a major small budget, like under $400 a cab, some of the BFM DIY can be worth it. A lot of the BFM gear is also designed with sensitivity/loudness as the major priority, and sound quality takes a backseat to that.

But for someone that is looking for a serious rig for the future, it is best to look at used pro gear like Mac mentioned.

Take Care,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

John Marsh wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 13:30

One of the venues that I DJ for on a weekly basis is looking at building a Concert PA system for their outdoor pavilion. The audience size is roughly the size of two high-school baseball fields.

They don't have the working capital needed to be able to purchase high-end line arrays such as EAW's and the like.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone and everyone Smile

~ John Marsh

Hello John,

When I read Posts like this, I immediately get a headache.

I start to wonder whether it is the poster's idea to approach this "Venue" with a solution to their lack of funding?

Being a philanthropist, and at the same time, trying to build/buy their way into a steady gig...?

As you are asking for opinions, I'll offer that you should NOT get involved in either making any promises to provide a system or in the way of offering to build a system for this proposed Venue.

"Business is Business." And, "you have to spend money to make money".

1.) Smart Business people invest in Proved Technology from viable Companies, instead of boxes they could probably never sell for anywhere near their initial cost.

2.) Do you have a Contract to provide a Sound System? Or...are you intending to build this System on SPEC?

3.) Have you considered the total cost (including cabling, connectors, amplifiers, System Controllers/Processors, AC Power drops, Distros, Scaffolding/Mounting structures, Weather Protection,  etc.. of implementing ANY System?

4.) Do you have any Idea on how to design a System to fit your Venue, or are you going to just throw out some Cabinets?

5.) It's such a large area to cover, what SPLs are you expecting throughout the Venue?

6.) Did you consider the need for a Delay System, and the additional equipment needed?

7.) Building a shit-load of Boxes will cost a lot of money (2X what you probably realize) and hundreds of hours, and lots of space.

8.) If the Venue's intention is to have Acts worthy of the Venue Space (big space/big Acts) then you'll definitely have Tech Rider issues.

I think your idea is foolish.  Go to your Parents or some older Person of whom's opinion you trust...and explain your plan with EVERY detail.....hear what they think.

Good Luck,
 Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »

To do Bands You've Heard Of
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Dave Rickard

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »

John Marsh wrote on Sat, 18 December 2010 13:31

Also wanted to mention that the DR300 Tops would be flown in a vertical line array format

Who certifies the flyability of that design?  Who guarantees that the build quality is up to the task?

Flying is serious business with serious consequences for failure, not the stuff of "looks about right, I think it'll be safe"!!!
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

Looks like I'm the only one responding that actually has experience building and using Titans. I built 4 of them, did a decent job, no air leaks. 24.5" wide loaded with Kappalite 3015lf drivers. They are at this time firewood. I've been in this business for 20 years. I believed the hype that one titan 48 would outrun a JBL SRX 728 double 18. They wouldn't come close to my homebuilt eminence Omega loaded cabs. I built a prototype by an eminence design, took the 3015's out of two of the titans and put them in the new cab, and did a shootout with one double 18, the one prototype double 15, vs TWO titans. One double 18 vs TWO titans, one double 15 vs. TWO titans. The actual 1w/1m response is insignificant in my tests, or the actual DB vs. watts, I sent the same signal to each cab, just pulled the speaker cable and switched it over, to keep all things equal. Here are the results. The titan cabs seemed to choke the Kappalite 3015lf drivers.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=254030&id=79696443 7

I do use BF Omnitop 12's. I like them, and they do couple well when stacked. I've done events with 4 stacked on each side. If you look at Bill's own specs, you pick up one DB, 300 vs. omnitop. That's a lot of work for 1db. The OT's are easy to build, DR's are a pain.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247300&id=79696443 7
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/brodave2/New%20Syst em/DSCF1234.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/brodave2/New%20Syst em/DSCF1233.jpg
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

Rick Powell

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »

As far as your plan to use these in a pseudo "line array"...

The DR's show no evidence as being designed for a line array format.  Line array pro boxes are specially deigned to have wide horizontal and very tight vertical coverage, and gain pattern control as more units are added.  They are also designed with integral systems for flying or ground stacking, for stability, angle of coverage and safety.  If you go ahead with your plan to build these (against the advice of most folks here) they appear to be most suited to stacking on stage or on top of whatever subs you build, in a splayed arrangement.  If they are elevated and pointed down toward the audience, you will likely need some scaffolding...These things do not appear to be adequately designed with fly points, etc. where you could (for example) yoke them together and raise them with a Genie lift.

Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.