ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Help  (Read 9288 times)

Kaine Pritchett

Newbie Help
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »

Hi Guys,

Wondered if someone could help out at all.

I'm currently renewing a video system in a hall. As well as the new screens, part of the work includes us moving the mixing desk from a portable cabinet (which they pull out and plug into a multipin connector) back to the room with the amps (basically get it out of the room).

Its not completely finished, however yesterday we had to get the desk live again as they had a function last night. All went fine, apart from this morning had a call to say they have found a problem - it may be necessary to have the desk in the room after all, as they do need to kill some channels periodically - do'h!!!

Obvious option would be to rewire the multipin back, however I was wondering if there is another option so we could keep the desk hidden away. Some sort of remote control of the channels. I'm keen to do this as apparently the multipin connector regularly fails due to regular use by different people (bent pins etc).

Any ideas of an option? The desk is a 12 channel unit, but they are only use 8 channels for the stage

Thanks in advance

Kaine

p.s. sorry about the full name part - I can honestly say I didn't spot the notice at the top of the page

Gus Housen

Re: Newbie Help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »

You could use a small rack mountsubmixer or if you just need on and off -install a  switch pannel.
You rock...We roll!

Kaine Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply Gus

Developed a little more today (more people involved) - they need full control of MIC levels on some rare occasions.   We discussed about replacing the desk with a Firewire unit instead so they have the option of running some proprietory software to control it from a laptop.  Just looking at options now

Kaine

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

Kaine Pritchett wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 16:57

Developed a little more today (more people involved) - they need full control of MIC levels on some rare occasions.   We discussed about replacing the desk with a Firewire unit instead so they have the option of running some proprietory software to control it from a laptop.  Just looking at options now

What do you mean by "a Firewire unit" and why would you need proprietary software?

Maybe we can narrow things down by defining some parameters such as what level of channel control is required and which of those controls needs to be remote controlled (e.g. a full channel strip or just overall level)?  Are you dealing with multiple outputs or destinations?  And what is the budget?

I can see this potentially being from something like a Biamp or Symetrix box with a remote control or a digital mixer with the manufacturers remote software on a laptop or tablet or even a Software Audio Console with a single remote via a laptop or MIDI controller.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Kaine Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »

found and ordered the following solution

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra8R.html

firewire or USB interface with Hardware Output control from the PC software - confirmed with M-Audio today that this will work

Kaine

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.