ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My first pair of Labs  (Read 13202 times)

Ryan Stubbs

My first pair of Labs
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »

I just received my first pair of Labs. My first impression? Holy crap these things are big and heavy! What did I get myself into? However, once I got 'em hooked up to my new it4000, I couldn't stop smiling. I have now confirmed for myself that a pair of Labs blows a pair of la400's straight out of the water. No comparison really. These things are scary loud. I had my mixer set up under the attic door which quickly began raining insulation and dust forcing me to move. Good times! I couldn't be happier with them. My neighbors on the other hand, well that's a different story. Special thanks to Silas Pradetto for a deal done right. Now I just need to buy a trailer so I can roll these things up a ramp instead of having to heave them into a truck bed.

Silas Pradetto

Re: My first pair of Labs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »

Glad you like them Ryan. Glad the freight company didn't destroy them, for once.

I'll have the Itech preset file for you shortly, it really cleans them up.

Martin Toft

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »

Yeah, Silas, how do you set them up with a crossover and eq and whatever to make them sound better? i have a crown xti4000 that i believe have the same HI-Qnet functions as the iTech has. I am planning to build a pair soon if I have time. Hearing all these positive things about them makes it very tempting to start the project Smile

thanks, Martin Smile

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »

The XTI and I-Tech are very different in terms of their EQ capabilities.  Download and install Harman System Architect (not Band Manager) and drag one of each amp into the "venue" space and double click to open the control panel for each.

Explore the EQ, both input & output to discover the differences.  That said, it is usually possible to approximate I-Tech settings in the XTI, but it is not always possible to exactly duplicate them.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim "ported custom settings for XTI last month" Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 09:51

The XTI and I-Tech are very different in terms of their EQ capabilities.  Download and install Harman System Architect (not Band Manager) and drag one of each amp into the "venue" space and double click to open the control panel for each.

Explore the EQ, both input & output to discover the differences.  That said, it is usually possible to approximate I-Tech settings in the XTI, but it is not always possible to exactly duplicate them.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim "ported custom settings for XTI last month" Mc

I finally got presets over to Ryan, hopefully he can get them loaded up and working properly.

The XTi can do nearly nothing compared to an Itech. Sure, they both have reasonable EQ, but the Itech has all the limiters, load monitoring, proper clip protection, and other features that the XTis lack, along with really good sound quality and power. (I find the XTis very wimpy, especially on horn loaded subs which present a reactive load.)

If you're making the jump to LABs, get a real amp, or don't bother. It's not a jump that should be half-assed. Think: if you were actually upgrading to a $5000 subwoofer, wouldn't you want to use the proper amp with it?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

Silas Pradetto { wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 08:56

If you're making the jump to LABs, get a real amp, or don't bother. It's not a jump that should be half-assed. Think: if you were actually upgrading to a $5000 subwoofer, wouldn't you want to use the proper amp with it?

Silas, you have the proper perspective on this.  Take note, Martin.
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Martin Toft

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:25:03 AM »

wow. haha that is an insane difference! i had no idea, but i'm only 17 and trying to explore the subject Very Happy and the xti is just $700 so that fits my budget better Smile but is it really a $5000 subwoofer? i can't wait to start building these monsters. they are not for me, but for a DJ friend Very Happy i will let them know about the amp Very Happy

Thanks for helping me guys! I need every piece of advise and knowledge i can possibly get so i appreciate your help!

and please don't hate just because i'm 17. Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe a little too advanced start but i like a challenge Smile

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »

Martin Toft wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 23:25

wow. haha that is an insane difference! i had no idea, but i'm only 17 and trying to explore the subject Very Happy and the xti is just $700 so that fits my budget better Smile but is it really a $5000 subwoofer? i can't wait to start building these monsters. they are not for me, but for a DJ friend Very Happy i will let them know about the amp Very Happy

Thanks for helping me guys! I need every piece of advise and knowledge i can possibly get so i appreciate your help!

and please don't hate just because i'm 17. Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe a little too advanced start but i like a challenge Smile

A challenge you shall receive.  Trust me.

When Tom Danley designed the LABsub, it was to prove that certain large manufacturers weren't putting any "special sauce" in their subs and that competent builders could have a sub that was equal to or exceeded the "big guys" products for 20% of the cost.

While $5000 is a stretch (considering what is available and at what prices, now almost 7 years later), to say the LABsub is equal to or better than subs costing $2000-$3000 is not a stretch at all.

Have fun, good luck.  Oh, you need air-tight wood joints, so practice your cabinet making skills!

Tim Mc

Ryan Stubbs

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »

I finally got my amp's firmware updated and can now use System Architect properly. I like it when things work. I was so impressed by my first pair of Labs, I couldn't resist buying a second pair. They will be here Monday. I can't wait to hear what a block of four sounds like. Now I just need to find a second pair of SLS960's at a good price and my system will be complete...well I say that...something tells me I'll be wanting to trade in the XTI6000 for another IT4000 for the tops. I like the idea of being able to monitor the system wirelessly from anywhere in the venue.

Martin Toft

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »

Will be fun though. What kind of epoxy should I use? I heard west systems epoxy works good but what kind? Would birch plywood work best for a build like this?

Thanks Tim, appreciate the help.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.