ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Love My SOG Multi Tool  (Read 5551 times)

Matthew Haber

• http://www.matthewhaber.com
I Love My SOG Multi Tool
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »

I have been a happy and long time owner of a Leatherman Juice Xe6 and when I decided a couple of months ago that it was time to relegate the Juice to more casual use and get something a little more full sized for theatre work, I fully intended to get another Leatherman. I wanted something that locked so I was all squared away to order a Blast when up popped a SOG PowerLock EOD on Woot for a hair under $40. I had heard good things about SOGs from some carps I know so I figured it was worth a shot for that price since this tool is normally closer to $100.

Let me just say that I will never go back. I still like my Juice and SOG doesn't really make anything of that size and functionality but for full size tools, the SOG is great. Everything about it feels much tighter and beefier than the Leathermans and Gerbers that I have tried and the tools pop in and out easily with one finger which is great for working on ladders. The gearing system they have come up with means that I can easily cut wire and even small diameter aircraft cable and the built in crimper works well on crimp on terminals for use in stage-pin connectors.

The leather sheath it included was damaged out of the box which didn't really bother me since I carry my multi tool along with other small items in a Setwear pouch but, nonetheless, a quick email to SOG had them over-nighting a new one to me without any questions asked.

Anyway, I have no doubt this thing will hold up, I am very satisfied, and I would recommend it at any price. Next time I need to purchase a multi tool (which won't be for a while) I will definitely pay full price if that is what it takes.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: I Love My SOG Multi Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »

Hey Matthew. I've heard a lot of good things about the SOG tools, from their folding knives to their multitools they seem to be a company making very high quality gear. My history with multitools is probably not as long as yours, but I've had a lot of them in the past. My first multi tool was the original Leatherman Supertool, boy that was a great tool. Sure hurt your hand when you really needed to put some torque on the pliers, but all steel construction and once you got it broken in it was like an old friend. That first tool was a gift from a family friend, and they engraved it with my name. I carried it on my belt in the included leather holster for years and the most it suffered was a bent small screwdriver, a case of soft steel not holding up to my abuse. Sadly that tool was stolen from me, but not before it had repaired everything from lawnmowers to computers, and been through airline security in several different US states. Those were the days, I'd hate to think what would happen if I tried to take a multi-tool on a plane today. Of course, I even got hassled in New York City recently for the knife I carry, a Kershaw Black Blur by Ken Onion, great tool. The officer didn't think my knife, or my friend's similar knife, passed as a tool... meanwhile my other friend's leatherman didn't seem to require him putting the fear of god into him. I didn't appreciate being threatened with arrest for not breaking the law, but I sure as hell wasn't going to argue with an officer with a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes New York City seems like another country, but I guess they have their problems and feel like they are dealing with them. Anyway, after my super tool was stolen I got into the Gerber tools. I don't know if they still are but at that time you could order a totally custom tool from Gerber online, with the flick out pliers, in custom colors, with whatever tool compliment you wanted. That was a great tool, it came in a nylon holster which wasn't as good as the leather that the Leatherman came with, but nice to be able to carry it on your belt. The tools in the Gerber held up well, although the support on the flick out pliers wasn't nearly as good so they'd start to give out early if you tried to put any torque on them. As a handy tool it was pretty good but they sure hardened the steel on it, so the small screwdriver shattered after a year or so, I don't know if that's worse than the small screwdriver on the Leatherman tool bending, either way a good way to have a whole array of tools "broken" by a failure in one of them. Long story short I finally got rid of that tool for reasons I can't remember and bought another Gerber tool, the name of which I can't remember. It folds open like the Leatherman, so the pliers are a lot better, and it has a removable carbide insert for the wire cutter which is also very handy. Still have that tool, it lives in my glovebox, and also has a shattered small screwdriver. I have since given up on multi-tools. I carry a knife because it is handy the vast majority of the time, and that is what I was mostly using those multi-tools for. When I need a screwdriver I need the right screwdriver, and when I am in a situation where I might need a screwdriver I simply make sure I have a set available. Much better to get the right driver than strip out a screw or break some small wireless pack or something trying to adjust the gain. The tools on the multi-tool are never the right size, and while it is handy to have pliers and a knife the rest of it seems like money wasted that could have been invested in good tools. That latest Gerber tool has been in my glovebox for three years now, through two cars, and I can't remember the last time I opened up the holster and used that tool. I use my knife almost every day, though, and it's a lot easier to keep an edge on it than worry about a whole shitload of maybe-useful tools attached to some pliers.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chris Gruber

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:02 AM »

Where are the paragraph police when you need them? Rolling Eyes
-Chris
Arthur Audio

"It never ceases to amaze me how many sound guys think the measure of their work is solely defined by whether or not their subs are capable of sonically vaporizing squirrels from 20 meters."

Matthew Haber

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

Hmmmm...I think our tool use is probably pretty different. In addition to lighting/sound I professionally guide backpacking and backcountry ski trips and I have different multi tools and knives for my outdoor doings. During my tech work, which is predominantly lighting, I find that I don't tend to use the knife very often accept for cutting tieline and other stuff like that but I use the pliers all the time and screw driver for stuff like opening iris slots on Source Fours, etc. The thing I love about the SOG is who fantastic it is as a plier. It is easily better than any of the standard needle nose + light wire cutter I could buy at Home Depot and it includes the other stuff I want too. I also like the SOG tools are very easy to customize at home. I plan to swap the awl (which I will never use) for a V-cutter tool which I will use for gels and tie line. Also, if a screw driver does break, it is a $5 part and a 5 minute repair. Anyway, clearly I am very taken with my tool and I don't see the love affair ending anytime soon.

Matthew Haber

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:39:09 AM »

Chris Gruber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 00:37

Paragraphs added to my original post because I care.  Smile

Chris Gruber

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:51:43 AM »

Nice! It is just much easier to read. Somebody would have said it so I figured I'd be the one for a change. Twisted Evil
-Chris
Arthur Audio

"It never ceases to amaze me how many sound guys think the measure of their work is solely defined by whether or not their subs are capable of sonically vaporizing squirrels from 20 meters."

Adam Ellsworth

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09:26 AM »

Matthew Haber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 05:18

...up popped a SOG PowerLock EOD on Woot for a hair under $40. I had heard good things about SOGs from some carps I know so I figured it was worth a shot for that price since this tool is normally closer to $100.

Same! I hadn't been to Woot in awhile, caught this towards the end of the day... hadn't heard of SOGs but read good things and seemed a very good price. Oddly enough the UPS guy left it at the wrong house, and the guy (ex-military) opened it and wondered why someone sent him "a SOG out of the blue" before he noticed the name. Small world.

I haven't put mine to the test yet, but it certainly feels like a solid, precision-built tool.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:25 AM »

Matthew Haber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 01:37

Hmmmm...I think our tool use is probably pretty different. In addition to lighting/sound I professionally guide backpacking and backcountry ski trips and I have different multi tools and knives for my outdoor doings. During my tech work, which is predominantly lighting, I find that I don't tend to use the knife very often accept for cutting tieline and other stuff like that but I use the pliers all the time and screw driver for stuff like opening iris slots on Source Fours, etc. The thing I love about the SOG is who fantastic it is as a plier. It is easily better than any of the standard needle nose + light wire cutter I could buy at Home Depot and it includes the other stuff I want too. I also like the SOG tools are very easy to customize at home. I plan to swap the awl (which I will never use) for a V-cutter tool which I will use for gels and tie line. Also, if a screw driver does break, it is a $5 part and a 5 minute repair. Anyway, clearly I am very taken with my tool and I don't see the love affair ending anytime soon.

Just a note - with most multitools, the SOG included, you don't have complete freedom in what tools go where.  The issue is that there needs to be enough room in the handles for the plier head once the tool is folded.  I'm about 90% sure that the V-cutter needs to go in one of the 4 outside spots (occupied by knife blade, saw, file, scissors on the standard tool).  And fwiw, that awl is pretty useful for flipping DIP switches.

Matthew Haber

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 07:38

Just a note - with most multitools, the SOG included, you don't have complete freedom in what tools go where.  The issue is that there needs to be enough room in the handles for the plier head once the tool is folded.  I'm about 90% sure that the V-cutter needs to go in one of the 4 outside spots (occupied by knife blade, saw, file, scissors on the standard tool).  And fwiw, that awl is pretty useful for flipping DIP switches.

Good call. That means the saw, which I probably will never use anyway, is going to go bye-bye to make room for the v-cutter. Now that I look at their site, I like the idea of wire strippers too. So many choices!

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

Matthew Haber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 00:37

I am very taken with my tool and I don't see the love affair ending anytime soon.

Right here, in front of everybody? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

Matthew Haber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 01:39

Chris Gruber wrote on Thu, 16 December 2010 00:37

Paragraphs added to my original post because I care.  Smile

I believe my post stands on its own as a work of satire.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bob Josjor

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »

It's back on.
http://sellout.woot.com/?ts=1292564256&sig=436111f35176c 923

One day only deal so if you're wanting one you better grab it now.

woot is the first thing I check every morning.  Don't know how many silly t-shirts I have by now....... Very Happy
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?

Gerry Tacker

• http://www.asrproevents.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »

I have been carrying my original SOG multi tool with power pliers for 14 years now and it has never let me down.

"Figures don’t lie but liars can figure and unfortunatly misleading / incorrect / impossible figures can sell.."
Tom Danley

Matthew Haber

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »

Gerry Tacker wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 14:24

I have been carrying my original SOG multi tool with power pliers for 14 years now and it has never let me down.

I'm glad to hear that my impressions about it's quality were correct. I am looking forward to a long and happy future for us.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Matthew Haber wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 18:22

Gerry Tacker wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 14:24

I'm glad to hear that my impressions about it's quality were correct. I am looking forward to a long and happy future for us.

Until it goes missing.  Twisted Evil  Not that I am wishing for that to happen to you by any means, but that has been my history with multitools, regardless of brand, and I've had most of them. The most distressing disappearance was that of my beloved Leatherman Charge TTi; that was a lot of dollars AND was the best-equipped, especially with the add-on Bit Kit.

With all due respect to Bennett, who I'm sure has a full deluxe matched set of Snap-On
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Cosmo

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »

Gerry Tacker wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 13:24

Same here.  I had a custom leather pouch made for it, with a belt loop.  Love it!

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."  -Henry David Thoreau
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.