ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey EU218 Subs  (Read 20144 times)

Steve Hurt

Re: Peavey EU218 Subs
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »

Bob Josjor wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 09:06

The JTR's are a really interesting cabinet and one I would seriously consider for a small, efficient one.  I've never seen a published frequency chart for them, just the 45hz at -3 published on JTR's website.  Got one?

From the JTR forum.  He puts a lot more info on the forum than he does the website.  (takes a while to find sometimes!)

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4683881

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/racingxtc7/2011Growlerplusminus1db.jpg

Bob Josjor

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »

Thanks for the Growler info.  So looking at that chart, it looks like there is some slope at each end of the spectrum typical of subs, i.e. 40-110hz.
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?

Steve Hurt

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

Definitely some slope at the ends, but within the area it is normally run (45 to 85 or 90 hz), the Growler's response is pretty darn flat.

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »

I have a pair of peavey subcompact 18 subs I use for drum monitors,small room or loan out/free subs. I find they are the flattest peavey sub I have ever measured. Most times I find they are +/- 3 dbs in most places I have measured them.
This is them compared to a qsc hpr181i sub.

Peavey is the yellow "ish" trace.
QSC is blue/green trace.

This sub was measured with a 24db, 40hz low cut. 150hz 24 db high cut. The person was using them with 10 inch tops at the time.
This subs never took off for peavey but they measure and sound ok for the small size/weight that they are.  
Maybe compared to a Danley Th-Mini?

index.php/fa/34333/0/

The filter plus bandpass box roll-off doesn't give much below 47hz or so. Still a good thump for a small size.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80301953.pdf

Douglas R. Allen

Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Paul Lea

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »

Looks cool but I am confused, maybe I missed something.  

The EU218 handles 800 watts continuous and has a continuous output of 130db and peaks at 136 at Half space.  It runs at a 4 ohm load also. It weights 75 pounds-ish.

Why wouldn't I want a QW118 that weighs 10 pounds more, handles 800 watts (the same amount as the EU), does 132 continuous and 138 peak at a 8 ohm load leaving me open to chain another one and hit the 4 ohm power rating of my amp. Plus it is cheaper.

I like what peavey does for the money and have owned many Peavey speakers over the years. However, I fail to see why this one is even being sold when the cheaper, more efficient QW118 does a better job and has better expandability for most folk with high power amps.

I am NOT Peavey bashing here. Maybe I missed something somewhere.
Paul Lea

Owner - Midwest Sound and Production, LLC

Bob Josjor

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »

Paul Lea wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 15:31

Looks cool but I am confused, maybe I missed something.  

The EU218 handles 800 watts continuous and has a continuous output of 130db and peaks at 136 at Half space.  It runs at a 4 ohm load also. It weights 75 pounds-ish.

Why wouldn't I want a QW118 that weighs 10 pounds more, handles 800 watts (the same amount as the EU), does 132 continuous and 138 peak at a 8 ohm load leaving me open to chain another one and hit the 4 ohm power rating of my amp. Plus it is cheaper.

I like what peavey does for the money and have owned many Peavey speakers over the years. However, I fail to see why this one is even being sold when the cheaper, more efficient QW118 does a better job and has better expandability for most folk with high power amps.

I am NOT Peavey bashing here. Maybe I missed something somewhere.

You bring up a lot of valid points, Paul.  Really about the only semi-reasonable response is "Tech riders, son, tech riders."

How many times have I seen a tech rider that says:
15" w 4" driver
218 loaded subs

Very true, you can get the QW118 (or something of similar price/quality from another manufacturer) that will outperform, at least marginally, a double 18 like the EU.  But its not a 218 so doesn't meet the rider.  Silly, ain't it?

As a dealer I see it as a sellable unit simply because the idea of a 218 that's a one man lift is very appealing to a lot of people, regardless as to what the specifications are.  Again, silly, ain't it?

Paul Lea

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

Seems like the tech rider point is moot since it says "Peavey" anyway.  I know its not fair in some cases.

When peavey can build this box to the same or similar output of a QW218, I would actually buy them for my small portable rig. So close to the perfect inexpensive, lightweight sub box.
Paul Lea

Owner - Midwest Sound and Production, LLC

Bob Josjor

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »

Paul Lea wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 07:06

Seems like the tech rider point is moot since it says "Peavey" anyway.  I know its not fair in some cases.

You know, its kind of a funny deal, but I see the "No Peavey" less and less these days.  Granted, I deal with local and regional acts, not national.  The even funnier thing is that I'll see a list for FOH that simply lists speaker sizes and wattage with no model or brand designation and then when it comes to processing the brand requests start popping up.  

So basically they're saying its OK if you have Radio Shack speakers as long as you have an XYZ brand effects processor. Very Happy

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »

I am very surprised that nobody has yet said anything in this thread about the method Peavey used to load those drivers in the cabinet.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 23:09

I am very surprised that nobody has yet said anything in this thread about the method Peavey used to load those drivers in the cabinet.

I was thinking the same thing.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 17 queries.