ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining 70v system with non 70v speakers  (Read 3743 times)

ben carson

Combining 70v system with non 70v speakers
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »

Didn't know what to expect when I did this, though the result was good.

scenerio:
70V 4 Channel Crest Amp running very close to it's max tap on a zone. Client decided they want to use their old powered sub with speakers.  So, was going to run from the dsp, but for shits'n'giggles decided to run it off the amp.  Works great, so good in fact that I'm keeping it hooked up the way it is.  Any reason otherwise?

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Combining 70v system with non 70v speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »

ben carson wrote on Fri, 10 December 2010 16:57

Didn't know what to expect when I did this, though the result was good.

scenerio:
70V 4 Channel Crest Amp running very close to it's max tap on a zone. Client decided they want to use their old powered sub with speakers.  So, was going to run from the dsp, but for shits'n'giggles decided to run it off the amp.  Works great, so good in fact that I'm keeping it hooked up the way it is.  Any reason otherwise?

I need a little more information to give you an answer. Is the powered sub capable of accepting speaker level input signals or are you sending the 70V feed into a line level input.

If the latter you are risking overdriving that line input, if the powered sub is already looking for speaker level the 70V swing is like a good sized power amp.

JR

edit/  after sleeping on this, even if it does appear to work, another reason not to do this is the 70v path will be high pass filtered to prevent saturating the step up and step down transformers in  70V systems.

You are not starting out with a full bandwidth signal. The sub can't play what you don't send it.   /edit  
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

Just to add- I don't know whether that Crest amp has a direct 70V (transformerless) output. If so, driving your active subs alone will be fine (assuming they are designed for it), but the line transformers on all the speakers hung off that output will tend to high pass the line even if no EQ is used to purposely high pass it. A 70V system can sound very good if very good transformers are used together with a direct drive amp, but you will not get the same low frequency response as by driving the subs without transformers.

The "best" distributed systems that use subs use a combination of 70V speakers and active or voice coil subs. Since usually only a few subs are needed per a large number of distributed speakers, providing line level or voice coil connections through a crossover is easy to do. The crossover can make a big difference.

-Hal

ben carson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

Thanks for the replys, going to do some more playing around.. will get back with any new finds
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.