ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: nice power at the Hotel  (Read 15709 times)

Joe Brugnoni

Re: nice power at the Hotel
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »

Damn, now I need to go to the bathroom Laughing
Be nice to everyone as you can learn something from anybody

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 14:17

OTOH during a flood the rising water would hit a ground lug down terminal first and harmlessly ground the water... While I concede this is a slender benefit.

JR

Pure water doesn't conduct, impurities are what make it conductive. Even in a conductive state, it still has a high resistance. I doubt a circuit would trip if submerged in water in most cases (unless GFCI protected), instead, an electrolysis effect might happen where the water starts to react.

Jay Barracato

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »

The resistance of pure water is approximately 18 megaohm. In a lab setting the resistance is used as a measure of purity in distilled or deionized water units.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

My tap water is running between 1M and 2M .

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 12:03

The resistance of pure water is approximately 18 megaohm. In a lab setting the resistance is used as a measure of purity in distilled or deionized water units.

I just looked it up, since I never had before and had been going based on what science teachers and others told me.

18 megaohms certainly isn't completely non-conductive, but it is quite a high resistance. I wonder what the impedance graph of water looks like?

How is 18 megaohms measured? What distance in the water are we talking about? I'm assuming one would just dunk DMM probes in the water and measure? But wouldn't the resistance increase the farther the probes are apart, like with copper or anything else?

I'm interested now Very Happy

I'm going to do an impedance sweep of the shop's water tonight Laughing

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »

Never could understand why anyone would want the ground up.  Cords hang down, if slightly pulled out the equipment ground would be lost first, yet the H and N still inserted.  So your still energized with no eq. ground.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »

Alan Sledzieski wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 15:40

Never could understand why anyone would want the ground up.  Cords hang down, if slightly pulled out the equipment ground would be lost first, yet the H and N still inserted.  So your still energized with no eq. ground.

I'd rather have my cord plug itself back into the overused, non-spec-grade receptacle and have the show continue than have it unplug because it has no more grip, and end the show.

The ground pin is longer anyway.

PS-Give me camlocks or a twistlock any day over wall plugs.

"But they were enough for this really big show we had in here last year"

Ha!

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »

Alan Sledzieski wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 14:40

I'd rather have the ground connection resistance start to rise than have a current-carrying connection's resistance start to rise, especially under a heavy load.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

David "Luke" Landis

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »

Scott Smith wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 14:18

Rick Stansby wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 13:12

Jay Barracato wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 04:33

The logic that was explained to me the first time I saw a contractor doing that was that if a paper clip or something was dropped on a partially inserted plug, it would hit the ground first and slide off, instead of potentially shorting the hot/neutral.

"upside down" edison plugs used to be a pet peeve of mine, but then someone explained what you have just explained, and now I prefer them "upside down".

"Falling paper clips".... Shocked

Metal Drum Brushes.....

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter

I know how we all hate these things when musicians have broken gear they refuse to fix, even though they had the same broken shit that tripped GFIs last time you had them four months ago, and they know you remember it ... but IMO GFCI should be required for stage power.  I just wish everyone else agreed with me so I didn't seem like the crazy one!  Crazy is risking your life by handling some guitar rig that looks like, and probably did, just fall off a truck and produces that burning smell when powered on, instead of having a safety device that inconveniences people by making them repair their broke-ass gear.  $0.02.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.