ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Strobe Help  (Read 6223 times)

Robin Parker

• Never teach a pig to sing.....
    • Suffolk Audio Services
DMX Strobe Help
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

This may be a simple problem - but I cannot seem to find the right answer. I currently have two (non DMX) 750w strobes that can be linked master/slave (via a 1/4 to 1/4 cable) - in order to make these work through a DMX dimmer, I had to 'invent' a small relay interface to make things work (in syncronized mode) properly.... OK, so far, so good...

Now I'd like to invest in true DMX strobes - at least two if not four - however, I do not see where running (srobes) via DMX allows for syncronized operation.... I understand operating X# of strobes, but do not see how they can or will be synced in this mode...

A little help please!

duane massey

Re: DMX Strobe Help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »

True "sync" is not possible with most DMX strobes, unlike the dedicated units. You can come really close...
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »

True "sync" is not possible with most DMX strobes, unlike the dedicated units. You can come really close...
really?

i've never had a problem firing 16-20 atomics, or dataflashes simutaniously in perfect sync with each other

curious as to what fixtures you're running into this issue with
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »

I will clarify. I normally run a separate address for each strobe so I can program chases and other special effects. With the DMX strobes my clients normally choose  (ADJ, Chauvet, etc) it is very, very difficult to get them to actually sync. Possibly the more $$$ strobes will be more precise, or using the same address for all the units might make a difference.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »

I will clarify. I normally run a separate address for each strobe so I can program chases and other special effects. With the DMX strobes my clients normally choose  (ADJ, Chauvet, etc) it is very, very difficult to get them to actually sync. Possibly the more $$$ strobes will be more precise, or using the same address for all the units might make a difference.
Same address they'll definitely sync

Different addresses (as any pro lighting guy would use) should still sync as there should be zero delay in dmx traveling down the line

If they don't sync, either it's a programming error or there's other problems in the rig as well.

Mind you I've never used budget strobes so it may be a problem with the lights themselves.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »

Most of my clients are definitely "budget" or lower, so I rarely get to spend any time with upper-scale gear. Using one address is the best solution if you specifically need them to be in sync, but I rarely need that to happen. I do use strobe chases a bit, but honestly don't use strobes that often in my installs.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Len Woelfel

• Chicago Lighting Design
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

I would think so.  Atomics seem to run very well.  I've had 12 on a show several times (and can still see in spite of it) and they will sync just fine.  I've also had good luck with Diversetronics (sp?). 

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:11 AM »

Diversitronics would be my first choice, but the best I normally see is the ADJ MegaStrobes.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »

Sorry for this Basic Question,

As I am Very new to Lighting, Why would you NOT use the same DMX Address for all the fixtures that you want to do the same thing?

Regards,  John

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Sorry for this Basic Question,

As I am Very new to Lighting, Why would you NOT use the same DMX Address for all the fixtures that you want to do the same thing?

Regards,  John

Because sometimes you dont want them all doing the same thing

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.