Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer FUD Forum Archive

Lab Sub Vs EAW KF940

(1/4) > >>

Todd Anisman:
The word is that the Lab beats a KF940... but I think the KF goes lower, yes?  According to specs & whatnot...  Who's heard both?

There are good deals on the Labs & KF's right now...

Silas Pradetto:
No chance is the KF940 going to beat a LAB. And no, it doesn't go lower.

KF940 is a bit less than 100dB at 30Hz, let's say 98dB. The LAB, IIRC, is about 103dB at 30Hz. That's a 5dB advantage for LAB sub.

I don't know where the KF940 unloads, but it certainly looks like crap on the graph. EAW only gets it's flat response from a heavily EQ'd preset. The LAB unloads at about 30Hz, and in sufficient quantity could be used into the mid-20s.

Todd Anisman:
Interesting... I know you own Labs... Have you heard the KF's in a comparative fashion? Both are heavy ass beasts...  

would you say that 2 Labs per side would be enough Boom to cover 3-400 outdoors, at about 110dBa @ 75'?

I'm not great at the spec reading, and I find most of them to be somewhat misleading...  so i ask these question from a real world & experience perspective..

tx,
T

Silas Pradetto:
Todd Anisman wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 14:12
Interesting... I know you own Labs... Have you heard the KF's in a comparative fashion? Both are heavy ass beasts...  

would you say that 2 Labs per side would be enough Boom to cover 3-400 outdoors, at about 110dBa @ 75'?

I'm not great at the spec reading, and I find most of them to be somewhat misleading...  so i ask these question from a real world & experience perspective..

tx,
T

Two LABs = about 3-4 double 18s, so would do the job. Four is way overkill; you could do at least 1000 outside with four.

And we don't use the A weighting to measure subs, we use C.

Two LABs should be able to do 118dB at 105 feet, given each sub gets 2000 watts.

Phil Lewandowski:
Silas Pradetto { wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 13:53
No chance is the KF940 going to beat a LAB. And no, it doesn't go lower.

KF940 is a bit less than 100dB at 30Hz, let's say 98dB. The LAB, IIRC, is about 103dB at 30Hz. That's a 5dB advantage for LAB sub.

I don't know where the KF940 unloads, but it certainly looks like crap on the graph. EAW only gets it's flat response from a heavily EQ'd preset. The LAB unloads at about 30Hz, and in sufficient quantity could be used into the mid-20s.

Hey Silas,

The thing that might shift things a touch is that that KF940 graph is in whole space according to the title at the top.

But if I had the choice I would most probably for with LABs.

Take Care,
Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version