ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Please change your names posts"  (Read 3225 times)

Chad Costanzo

• Temecula, CA (San Diego, Riverside Area)
    • Pyxis Industries, Inc
"Please change your names posts"
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »

Have you ever considered sending the offender an "PM" to change their user name to their real name.  All the post having "Please change your name you have 24 hours" or some other version of the same message is getting old and if I was a new user would keep me away from this forum.  We all have to find out way around the new forum and fix what needs fixing in our profile.  Yes, i like the use of our real name but get tired of the change your name or else post right now.  In a few months once it is back to normla great, but right now every post seems to get the hostile change your name
Chad Costanzo
Pyxis Industries, inc
www.PyxisIndustries.com
888-PYXISAV
Murrieta, CA

Full Service Audio, Lighting, Rigging, & Video Production Services

Dealer: EV, KT, Elation, Shure, AT, Da-Lite, Furman, Tascam, Midas, Road Ready, American DJ, Global Truss, CBI, Furman, Roland RSS, and More

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: "Please change your names posts"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Have you ever considered sending the offender an "PM" to change their user name to their real name.  All the post having "Please change your name you have 24 hours" or some other version of the same message is getting old and if I was a new user would keep me away from this forum.  We all have to find out way around the new forum and fix what needs fixing in our profile.  Yes, i like the use of our real name but get tired of the change your name or else post right now.  In a few months once it is back to normla great, but right now every post seems to get the hostile change your name

I don't think it is hostile, and it leaves a reminder for those who continue to not read the rules, which are posted in several places. New users might do well to read the forums for a while before posting so that they know to use their real name, or they might even read the Required Reading for All Members under Site rules and Suggestions.

Mac

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:49 pm »

I don't think it is hostile, and it leaves a reminder for those who continue to not read the rules, which are posted in several places. New users might do well to read the forums for a while before posting so that they know to use their real name, or they might even read the Required Reading for All Members under Site rules and Suggestions.

Mac
I agree one change your name post isn't hostile, but right now there is a thread in the Church Sound forum with two of them, one from you and one from Tom Young.  Though yours was more of a helpful suggestion to read the rules rather than a threat of being kicked off the forum, this can still be quite disconcerting to a new member.  I know it was to me when I first signed up in the old Church Sound forums and the first several replies to my question were simply 'we'll help when you follow the rules.'  I also should mention I thought I was following the rules because the warning at the top of the page didn't really fit with format- it said 'NO ALIASES' but the forum woudn't let you sign up without an alias.  I think the new forums are clearer there. Anyway, I think it should be a general rule, or maybe just a suggestion, that if your going to post 'change your name' on one of these threads and you're not the acting moderator, you should at least include a little bit of helpful info about their question.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:29 pm »

I think it should be a general rule, or maybe just a suggestion, that if your going to post 'change your name' on one of these threads and you're not the acting moderator, you should at least include a little bit of helpful info about their question.

Tom's post doesn't say anything about being kicked off the forum. The poster has 24hrs to respond before the message is deleted. I have been trying to put messages about names in as many places as i can. It really isn't very complicated to go to your profile and when you do you will see a field called "Name" which is described as "This is the displayed name that people will see." It should be pretty straight forward from there.

Mac

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »

Tom's post doesn't say anything about being kicked off the forum. The poster has 24hrs to respond before the message is deleted. I have been trying to put messages about names in as many places as i can. It really isn't very complicated to go to your profile and when you do you will see a field called "Name" which is described as "This is the displayed name that people will see." It should be pretty straight forward from there.

Mac
No, Tom's post says nothing about being kicked off the forum, or about the post being deleted - just that he has 24 to change his name - no consequences mentioned at all. I've got no issues with Tom's post whatsoever - he's the moderator of the Church Sound forum, it's his job to police it.  Anyway, that's beside my point.  Chad's point was that the 'change your name' posts seemed a bit hostile. I'm saying that one 'change your name' post from the moderator and giving the poster a set time to do so is not hostile, but that multiple replies that say 'change your name' and offer no answers can seem hostile.  The thread in Church Sound isn't the best example of this happening, since it's just one reply before the 'official' 'change your name' post, just the first I've seen over here on the new forums I thought this thread would be a good place to address it.  I'm thinking preemptively.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:53:32 am »

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,222.0.html
Here's a better example of what bothers me. 

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:32:40 pm »

This topic is done. We have a strictly enforced rule here about real names. Generally the moderators take care of it, but we are not here 24/7. If a member wants to point out that a new user has failed to read rules that are clearly posted in a number of places they are free to do so. If a new member fails to take any one of those several opportunities to learn how the community they are trying to join works, they are open to being corrected or chastised by whoever responds first. In the Church and HOW forums the treatment is generally a little gentler, but these are all professional forums for grownups. If you choose to not read the rules you take your chances with how the rest of the community will react.

Mac
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:38:32 pm by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:32:40 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.