ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Curious audio puzzle (TRS -> XLR)  (Read 28550 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

Re: Curious audio puzzle (TRS -> XLR)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »

Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 21:24

+1 on changing to XLR; Examine the TRS connectors closely. There are some out there that are not standard, but you have to look really close to see the difference.

+2 - a diagonal cutters are the right solution for TRS males on a snake fantail.

Donnie Evans

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »

+3...

Get one of these for your processor:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/XLR_Barrel/CA-310/CA-310_TRS_120w.jpg

And one of these for your fantail end of your snake. (or better yet cut the TRS end off and install female XLR)

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/NEUTRIK/NA3FJ/NA3FJ_130w.jpg
Shump In Da Tub!  www.ogeecheeriverband.com

Rob Gow

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »

I'll give thy a try and see how it works, with the adapters then I'll probably re-wire things...

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »

Are you maybe using Hosa brand TRS plugs? I have come across some plastic encased male plugs where the plastic was a bit too long, or to put it another way, where the metal is encased a bit too deep into the plastic, so the plug cannot enter all the way into the jack

Rob Gow

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »

I ended up making new extension cables, with Neutrik connectors, and now the problem is solved. Everything works fine, so I'm glad I was able to find a solution!!!

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I stayed with TRS, going to XLR was the next step...

I used these...

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/210_748797090.jpg

And

http://www.neutrik.com/client/neutrik/media/products/view/210_135449292.jpg

Dick Rees

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

Well, it's good that you got it working.  But (as Mac said earlier) why didn't you just use an XLR cable to go from the TRS>XLRM adaptor at the snake box to the rack?  too easy?
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Rob Gow

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 12:01:38 AM »

Since I'm thinking of selling the snake farily soon, I'm not too crazy about hacking it up. By using the adapters, and an XLR cord in between, I just felt like I was introducing more connections than need be.

If what I did hadnt worked, I would have went the XLR route...

Dick Rees

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »

You needn't worry so much about the number of connections as long as they are of a standard, robust type such as XLR.  They should of course lock together for security.  And at times it may even be desirable to not put "all your eggs in one basket" for quick trouble-shooting or replacement.  Staying with standard, readily available cables should always be preferred over making proprietary cabling......unless you make up plenty of spares.  
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

brian maddox

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:48:17 PM »

Donnie Evans wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 10:16

+3...

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/Adaptors/XLR_Barrel/CA-310/CA-310_TRS_120w.jpg

sorry, i know the OP's issue has been resolved, but i have to jump in...

these adapters are an abomination that should never have been invented.  why, you ask?  well i'll tell you...

they always get plugged into a devices 1/4" jack with an additional xlr connector plugged into the end of them.  this introduces a tremendous amount of leverage on the connector not to mention providing a very convenient 'pole' sticking out of your gear for you to trip/snag on.  just a very, very bad idea.

if you must adapt 1/4" male to XLR female, please use a proper adapter wired out of separate connectors and a piece of wire, even if said wire is only 3 inches long.  infinitely safer and easier to strain relief.  that's the right/only way to do it.

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

'do not trifle with the affairs of dragons....
       ....  for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup'

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:44 AM »

brian maddox wrote on Sun, 13 February 2011 21:48

Donnie Evans wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 10:16

+3...

sorry, i know the OP's issue has been resolved, but i have to jump in...

these adapters are an abomination that should never have been invented.  why, you ask?  well i'll tell you...

they always get plugged into a devices 1/4" jack with an additional xlr connector plugged into the end of them.  this introduces a tremendous amount of leverage on the connector not to mention providing a very convenient 'pole' sticking out of your gear for you to trip/snag on.  just a very, very bad idea.

if you must adapt 1/4" male to XLR female, please use a proper adapter wired out of separate connectors and a piece of wire, even if said wire is only 3 inches long.  infinitely safer and easier to strain relief.  that's the right/only way to do it.

brian

Now let's say you have a bunch of rigs out and each of needs a set of adapters for every bonehead BE or musician that forgot his or hers at home.  I would say that the barrel type adapters are the correct item to put in the tool box.  I own several dozen barrel type adapters and they have NEVER caused any damage to any of my gear.  I also own several patch cables with TRS to XLR in all genders and they also have never caused any damage.  For quick fixes, I'll take the barrel adapters any day, for patching between equipment for an entire event or semi permanent use, I'll take the patch cables everytime!
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.