ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville YX 10 as an EWI PR310 alternative?  (Read 2474 times)

Seth Hochberg

• http://www.sethhochberg.com
Yorkville YX 10 as an EWI PR310 alternative?
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for some small, versatile speakers to use as monitors/dry rental package SOS mains and have found a potentially good deal on a set of Yorkville YX 10s in good condition. The speaker I'd originally been planning to place in this role was the EWI PR310, but after speaking with Mark at Audiopile their supply of these is exhausted and they won't be able to get any more.

Has anyone used both of these speakers, by chance? I know the EWI is very well regarded, but how about the YX 10? Would I be better off looking a little higher up the food chain and trying to find some used EV ZX1s within my budget?

My primary market is smaller jazz/blues/acoustic gigs, so I don't really need huge SPL capability to run with a rock band in monitor duty. The SOS rental would be geared at talking head needs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

EDIT: EV ZX1, not XZ1... oops...
Owner, Osprey Audio
Assistant engineer, University of Miami Frost School of Music Recording Services

Matthew Haber

• http://www.matthewhaber.com
Re: Yorkville YX 10 as an EWI PR310 alternative?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »

While I can't speak to the YX10s as I have had no experiences with them, I can say that the EVs you mentioned are excellent and would definitely be a safe bet if you can swing the cost.

David Kaiser

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »

I was in the exact situation that you are. I purchased 4 YX10 last May and used them for the only fair that I do. They were powered by a Crown K2 amplifier and did really well. I wish they were symmetrical like the EWI speakers, but for the price they are good. The other speaker I looked at was the Peavey Pr10.
Went from Shure Pro Master 705 to Mackie 1604VLZ. Feel free to donate a Soundcraft FX16 or APB Prorack House.

Tim A Perry

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »

Keep in mind the the 150 watt rating is in Yorkvilles "program power" making them very light duty.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~ Berthold Auerbach

Seth Hochberg

• http://www.sethhochberg.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »

Tim A Perry wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 16:32

Keep in mind the the 150 watt rating is in Yorkvilles "program power" making them very light duty.

Indeed. I'm figuring I shouldn't under any normal circumstances need these to be louder than 110dB at 1m, so their 96dB sensitivity should get me there with slightly less than 75w RMS. Any gig where some more serious monitor power is required I can cover by rental; I don't expect the need to arise very often at all. For bigger dry rent needs I've got my current mains, Community XP500s.

Thanks for the input so far!
Owner, Osprey Audio
Assistant engineer, University of Miami Frost School of Music Recording Services
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.