ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose 802 C system controller - is it necessary?  (Read 53235 times)

Steve Moland

Bose 802 C system controller - is it necessary?
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »

I'm an emcee and announcer at running road races and I've got various amp, mixer and speaker combination for outdoor use. I use recorded music and I speak a lot so my sound quality needs to be clear and sometimes very loud. I'm not singing or playing acoustic guitar so I don't need concert grade sound. I've got what works for outdoors

At times I need a set up inside in rooms or halls with great to terrible acoustics. I got a pair of Bose 802 II which just don't sound as good as others I've seen in similar situations but at the time I did not know I'd needed to ask this question.

The back of the speakers say, must be used with and 802 C system controller or 802 E Equalizer. Does that really mean what is says? and if I do need the controller, what's the logic. I can't find any description anywhere which tells me what is going on.

All the individual speakers in the units work and sound fine up close. Together the are not as clear as I've heard. If anything they lean toward bass which seems strange because the multiple speakers in the cabinet are only 4 or 5 inch.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Bose 802 C system controller - is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »

Steve Moland wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 16:12

The back of the speakers say, must be used with and 802 C system controller or 802 E Equalizer. Does that really mean what is says? and if I do need the controller, what's the logic. I can't find any description anywhere which tells me what is going on.

Yes. You need the controller if you want any highs or lows out of the box. The design itself relies on extensive equalization.

A quick web search found this:
20 Hz = -5 dB
30 Hz = -1 dB
40 Hz = +3 dB
60 Hz = +14 dB
100 Hz = +5 dB
200 Hz = +1 dB
600 Hz = 0 dB
800 Hz = 0 dB
1 kHz = + 1dB
2 kHz = + 4 dB
3 kHz = + 5 dB
4 kHz = + 8 dB
6 kHz = + 11 dB
10 kHz = + 15dB
15 kHz = + 17 dB

http://www.audiorail.com/802_controller.gif
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chris Hindle

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »

Yes.
There's some pretty serious Ju-Ju going on to make a bunch of 4" speakers "work" together.
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »

it is a must have....absolute.  
Chuck Fudge
Technical Director
Braden Auditorium/Bone Student Center

Dick Rees

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »

No highs

No lows

No comment
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Steve Moland

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

Chris Hindle wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 15:28

Yes.
There's some pretty serious Ju-Ju going on to make a bunch of 4" speakers "work" together.

I thought it might be like that but the cabinet only has one input. Well it has two actually, a 1/4 and an XLR which I assumed was only an option as to which kind of cable one preferred.

I guess if there were two inputs like I've seen on some cabinets, one for the highs and another for the lows, I can see that something external has something to "mix" with. With only one wire I don't get it.

Steve Moland

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »

I'm a novice so I am assuming I'm already playing with the equalizer on my mixer, which I do.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »

Steve... it needs... equalization. Just like you would apply to any loudspeaker. The amounts it needs, however, and the frequencies at which it needs it, are beyond the capabilities of a reasonable passive crossover.

If you have been running them with no processing whatsoever, no wonder you think they sound dull.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Dick Rees

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:40 PM »

Steve Moland wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 15:39

Yes.

I thought it might be like that but the cabinet only has one input. Well it has two actually, a 1/4 and an XLR which I assumed was only an option as to which kind of cable one preferred.

I guess if there were two inputs like I've seen on some cabinets, one for the highs and another for the lows, I can see that something external has something to "mix" with. With only one wire I don't get it.

It's called "equalization" and is one of the basics of any live sound system operation.  You've got some serious research to do.  There is a lot of information on manufacturers websites.  You could start by reading the sticky topics in each section of the Forums.  Find out what components comprise a sound system, then look them up in the various manufacturers sites.  Find out what they do.  Ask more questions.  We were all in your situation at one time or another, some of us as junior high kids, some of us as adults DJ'ing for spare cash.

Rotsa ruck.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Chris Hindle

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »

Steve Moland wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 16:39

Yes.

No. The 2 connectors are paralleled together.
Choice of 1/4" or XLR connector.
They are "full range" cabinets - no Bi-Amp needed.
Bose EQ is not a suggestion, it is a requirement.
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.