ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions  (Read 3125 times)

Petrie Daniels

Looking for Suggestions
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »

I'm looking to modify my existing lighting rig in some fashion, though I'm not sure how.

My current rig:
6 pars (I forget what size...46 I believe)
two dimmer packs
two colorpalettes
one colorstrobe
two color strips
Chauvet DMX55 controller MIDI controlled via Behringer 100 footpedal

I am looking to upgrade to software that can be controlled with the footpedal, and hopefully can initiate chases rather than static scenes. Any ideas on what platform would be best to use for this?

I'd also like to switch up the look of the stage a little bit so any suggestions on fixtures and placement would be great. I'll try and throw a picture of our current set up on here soon.

Venue for the lights: 4 piece band that gigs at clubs/sports bars. Crowd size is usually anywhere from 200-500ish, occasionally more, occasionally less, and rarely a LOT more. Just depends on the club really.

Thanks. Sorry if I left anything out. I look forward to your thoughts.

Petrie Daniels

Re: Looking for Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:56 AM »

So I got no bites on the first post. I took some pics from the gig this weekend with the hopes of putting them up for advice.index.php/fa/33958/0/

Petrie Daniels

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:59:22 AM »

index.php/fa/33959/0/

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:15 AM »

Consider a used Showdesigner 1; you can call up scenes via MIDI, and the scenes can include chases as well as static looks.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Petrie Daniels

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

Hey Duane,

Thanks for the reply. You're not too far from me in Houston - I'm in Austin and gig in DFW.

I've used to Show Designer at a club we play at and like it. But I'm interested in software so I can make changes at home without setting up my rig. Any thoughts on the most affordable yet reliable way to go? I'm guessing you'll say Enttec open DMX with MagicQ software, but maybe there's other thoughts.

As far as the pics above, any thoughts on set up design?

Thanks for your time.

Petrie

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:14 AM »

magic q will run you about $100

the next closest (useable) option will run you about $1000
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »

There's a company in San Antonio that is marketing a package, Megalite, that looked really good at LDI 2 years ago, but I have no hands-on experience. Not really a software guy myself, as almost all my applications/clients really seem more oriented towards a hardware controller.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »

Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 29 November 2010 01:59

Consider a used Showdesigner 1; you can call up scenes via MIDI, and the scenes can include chases as well as static looks.

I got a Show Designer 1, largely on the advice of Duane and others here.  I am very happy with it for the price.  I like it A LOT more than low-end PC programs like MyDMX, the Chauvet software, etc. which are not setup for any kind of user-efficiency when designing your show.  I am not familiar with MagicQ but I guess I should try out the program and see how it compares.

One of the big limitations with entry-level PC programs is that they won't execute more than one chase/sequence at a time.  This means that every parameter of every fixture must be set in every step.  To me, that is a feature I am unwilling to do without.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 15 queries.