ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114899 times)

Rick Stansby

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 21:19

BTW, the list price on that page has now jumped from $2500 to $3000. Interesting....

In another strange turn the price has been dropped back down to $2500.  I know it was $3000 up until yesterday.
Rick

Joe Gislason

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/28323/2555703890094187797S600x600Q85.jpg

Here it is as seen on the NAMM 2011 facebook page Behringer has.  Its under glass!

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »

Joe Gislason wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 18:23

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/28323/2555703890094187797S600x600Q85.jpg

Here it is as seen on the NAMM 2011 facebook page Behringer has.  Its under glass!

If they won't let you touch it, it ain't real. There are probably lots of kinks to workout. Hardware is relatively easy. The problem is the software. My day job involves testing our products of which most use FPGAs. Building the circuits is a relatively minor task to making the FPGA do what you want it to once the circuit is built. Without good software, you're spinning your wheels.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Joe Gislason

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »

At least its a pretty box...

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »

Double posts?
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »

I may have asked this earlier in the thread but its up to 7 pages,...
Does anyone know if it has 32 XLR mic inputs or is it 16 mic pre with adat extras?

Douglas R. Allen

Edit: 32 mic pre's. Digital snake. Records direct to external hard drive to export to DAW or mix down on the board.
$2500? Not to bad.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/01/14/behringer-announce -the-x32/

Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Simon Ryder

• http://www.audioengineer.co.uk
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »

I have to say that I am very interested in it.

The real question is: Does it sound as good or better than an LS9?

If the answer is yes thren I can see it appearing on a lot of shopping lists.

Joe Gislason

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2011, 01:59:53 AM »

Craig Walsh

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:19 PM »

Okay, based on a viewing of a couple of Youtube videos from NAMM2011, it is clear that:

The X32 is still vaporware. They did have a mockup version of it complete with flying faders, but this was running in some form of demo mode, and was not set up to display any of its features. To be fair, all along, it's page has estimated a Quarter 2/3 2001 release date. Nevertheless, it was kept under a plexi box unless demo'd by a Behringer rep.

That being said, here is what is apparent:

It will come with fully recallable preamps with XLR inputs. Like the LS9-32, it lacks inserts (although the need for inserts in such digital mixers is diminished by the onboard dynamics). It will also come with 6 TSR inputs and 6 TSR "aux" outputs, as well as 16 XLR "bus" outputs. According to on rep, it actually has 16 aux buses, so it will be interesting to see if those can be routed to the "bus" outputs, which would be handy. Given this, you would have 16 aux outputs, similar to the LS9-32. Regarding I/O, it also has main L/R XLR and TRS outs (not LCR outs like you have on an LS9-32). It also has what appears to be a couple of USB ports on the top of the board (for recording up to 32 channels to a USB drive), and ethernet AES50 ports for driving their digital snake and the P16 personal monitoring system. It looks like it also has slots for loading up a Firewire card to connect to a computer DAW for more serious recording purposes. I can't make out the back panel from pausing the video, but there appear to be other digital I/O connections and MIDI. It's not clear if it will come with ADAT I/O or if that is on an option card. The LS9-32 has 64 input channel capacity. It appears that there will be room for only 40 inputs on the X32.

There are 25 100 mm motorized faders, with 16 serving channels 1-16 and 17-32 on different fader pages. There is another group of 8 faders for the 16 mix buses. These 8 faders also control the 6 matrix buses and also control 8 DCAs. The board has 8 built in effects, so I'd imagine the effects sends and returns are also controlled by these faders.

On the channel faders, each channel strip has a feature that is pretty interesting. In addition to having what appears to be a 8-10 segment level meters, there is also an individual LCD display that will display an icon of what that channel represents (e.g. singer, snare, bass, etc). The LCD panel is backlit to a distinct color depending on the type of signal (e.g. purple for drums, blue for singers, etc...not sure about the actual colors of this though). This appears to be a nice way to go, esp. for festivals where a scene recall "relabels" each input channel strip. On the top of the 16 input faders, there is a set of ring encoders, etc. that appear to control 1) pre-amp settings (e.g. trim, phantom, high pass, polarity), dynamics (gate and compression), channel EQ (4 band fully parametric), FX, and routing (to the 16 channel mix bus, 16 channel aux bus, 8 channel aux bus, etc). According to the rep, there are also 8 assignable graphic EQs, and user definable keys.

Over each group fader, there is also a small LCD display for naming groups and a level meter. Above these faders, there is the main 7" color display that allows for additional parameter tweaking, setup, etc. I must say that I like the way the board appears to be laid out, with quick access to each input channel's main functions (e.g. pre-amp, dynamics, EQ an FX) right at the top of the board.

Things I hope they include: 1) a digital memory card insert for making recallable backups; 2) a Firewire card that will transport all 32 direct inputs to a DAW plus a couple of downstream channels to monitor the sound coming out of the DAW on the X32; 3) a way to use the 16 XLR outs as "multi-outs" instead of hardwiring them to the mix bus outputs; 4) ADAT connectivity; 5) AES/EBU I/O for sending the main outs to the DEQ2496/DCX2496 or other speaker processors; 6) cascade port to connect up more than one X32 in larger setups; 7) dedicated DAW mixing fader pages (broken into input channels and mix bus channels).

In summary (from what I can gather):

-32 XLR preamp inputs/16 XLR outputs/6 TSR inpus/6 TSR outputs
-two AES50 ethernet ports for driving their forthcoming digital snake and P16 system
-fully recallable preamp settings
-full scene recall
-full dynamics per channel
-16 aux channels
-16 mix channels
-8 DCA groups
-8 FX slots
-Firewire and USB connectivity; direct recording to USB drives
-full metering and labeling of each input and group/matrix fader channel

Now, let's see if they can pull this off for their target price of $2500!

Rick Stansby

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »

I've watched a few videos and I have a few notes to add to your in depth evaluation.

The 6 "aux" ins and outs have 1/4" on all 6 jacks, paralleled to RCA on channels 5 and 6 only.

These guys have a video that shows the back really well.  Go to the 4:00 minute mark.
 http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicStoreTV#p/search/0/I2q_v95Y 6bM

The 16 channel faders, as well as the 8 "DCA" faders have 4 bank buttons.  They never revealed all of the banks.  IIRC the Channels bank has 1-16, 17-32, USB/aux in and something else.

Also the board has:
Dedicated ultrA-net outlet. it is not AES50

AES/EBU out.
Rick
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 16 queries.