ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114261 times)

Jeff Wheeler

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 12:49

I agree the omni-outputs are low relative to an LS9-32 (and two fewer than on an LS916), but I would imagine there will be a simple work-around (e.g. via an ADA8K or the like).

More D/A converters does not equal more AUX buses.  I do not understand why the unit is being advertised as having a fairly large number of mix buses but only 6 AUX buses.  IF the mix buses can be configured as additional AUXes, I could see this being a useful product; otherwise, not so much.

Head amp recall is great, but what are the most basic things you look at when deciding if a mixer is acceptable for your work?  Mine start it:
* does it have enough inputs?
* does it have enough AUX buses for my monitoring and FX needs?
* is the channel EQ good enough?
Then I move on to nice things.  The three above are essential, and if a mixer does not meet those criteria, it can't do the job.

6 AUXes is probably fine for a lot of bar bands.  It isn't competitive with other digital offerings in this price range.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Craig Walsh

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »

Jeff:

I agree that 6 aux buses would certainly limit this mixer. I very much doubt this will be the case. While the DDX3216 only has 4 multi-outs, it can be configured to send 8 auxes via ADAT->ADA8K. They mention something about interfacing with the Behringer P16 personal monitoring system, so maybe there is more to it than meets the eye. Right now the "P16" is also vapor-ware, but could be some sort of multi-channel monitoring system (or it could be an IEM system). As I mentioned, the DDX3216 brought about several accessories like the ADA8K that have been useful. This new mixer may also bring some other goodies with it.

But, I agree with your read of the spec list. Some of the features sound very interesting, but you must wonder why anyone would design a digital desk with so few aux buses, esp. in these days of stereo IEM acceptance.  

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »

No MIDI...
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Steve Hurt

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 19:02

No MIDI...

Huh?

From the hype page:

....AES/EBU stereo digital output and full MIDI implementation

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

missed that... i didn't read the full line.  Laughing

Carry on.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Steve Tarak

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »

"The X32 represents BEHRINGER's domination strategy in the digital mixing tournament of champions and we're confident that a checkmate isn't far behind."

I've owned Behringer gear. It has failed me, sounds like shit, and is a disappointment and waste of my money. If the strategy now is to dominate the digital market, well, it's about time they made some changes. As for me, I am, and will continue to be a huge skeptic of this inexpensive and unreliable copycat brand. That is a checkmate from my side of the board and it will take a hell of a rematch to convince me otherwise.

Steve

Matt Errend

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »

I am sure they will sell thousands to ignorant volunteer church audio "experts" and Guitar center shoppers.

Anyone with a clue will stay far far away.

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 03:06:17 AM »

Steve Tarak wrote on Mon, 22 November 2010 03:35

"The X32 represents BEHRINGER's domination strategy in the digital mixing tournament of champions and we're confident that a checkmate isn't far behind."

I've owned Behringer gear. It has failed me, sounds like shit, and is a disappointment and waste of my money. If the strategy now is to dominate the digital market, well, it's about time they made some changes. As for me, I am, and will continue to be a huge skeptic of this inexpensive and unreliable copycat brand. That is a checkmate from my side of the board and it will take a hell of a rematch to convince me otherwise.

Steve

I have owned Behringer crap and a few real gems.  While I don't condone their copycat practices, they might be on to a new path now.  They bought Midas fair-and-square, a company that obviously wouldn't have been for sale if their product was making money.  I for one can't waith to see how much of their new purchase made it's way into this product.

I say, give them a chance - if nothing else it will help keep their competitors on their toes!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

We'll see if this ever gets built.  

This is as vaporous as vaporware gets - just a napkin list of features everyone will want for a super cheap price with the goal of stalling sales of competitor products until they can figure out a way to build something.  Maybe they can execute, maybe they can't.

This won't be their first digital board - they had another one in the late 01v or early 01v96 timeframe.  I recall some reliability issues and suspect they didn't sell terribly many of them.

Behringer has historically been a "hardware" company - at least as much as copying everyone else's products makes you a hardware company.  While there may be a lot of hardware legos that can be assembled into a product with limited effort, a digital board also requires a lot of high-quality software.  This is neither easy or inexpensive, and there's no code to copy.  

Presonus has discovered just how hard the software can be to get right (and I believe they will succeed).  Like many others in this thread, I'll be trusting my gigs to 6th or 7th generation Yamaha digital products until other competitors' products get a little more baked.

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »

Now that the Music Group owns Behringer, Midas, and Klark Teknik, they need a new brand to fill the middle ground.  It will take 20 years or more for the majority of even semi-pros to take Behringer seriously.  If they want to make quality gear at a reasonable (higher than Behringer) price, they need to create or buy a new brand to market it with.

Grant  
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.