ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114968 times)

Caleb Dick

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »

It depends on how much cross-pollenization is allowed between Midas and Behringer. So far I've been hearing that Midas brainpower will be designing Midas products, utilizing Behringer distribution efficiencies.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller, $25k Midas digital. I would be surprised, greatly, to see any $6k+ Behringer. Also not expecting much 'Midas inside' Behringer product, other than possibly on the marketing side.

It seems to me that Uli is going to attempt to keep the Midas nameplate from being Behringerized too badly.
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Caleb Dick

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »

Behr-injured? Sad
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Ken Barlow

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 10:24

It depends on how much cross-pollenization is allowed between Midas and Behringer. So far I've been hearing that Midas brainpower will be designing Midas products, utilizing Behringer distribution efficiencies.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller, $25k Midas digital. I would be surprised, greatly, to see any $6k+ Behringer. Also not expecting much 'Midas inside' Behringer product, other than possibly on the marketing side.

It seems to me that Uli is going to attempt to keep the Midas nameplate from being Behringerized too badly.

The Digico SD9 will be(I heard)in the sub $25k range so it only makes sense that Midas will follow suit to stay competitive. But like I said in an earlier post, If Behringer comes out with a
sub $10k digital, I don't care if aliens designed it, they will have a hard time selling to the pro market. It will still be manufactured in China.
If it wasn't for the long hours and low pay, I would have gotten outta this business years ago.

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »

Ken Barlow wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 07:36

But like I said in an earlier post, If Behringer comes out with a sub $10k digital, I don't care if aliens designed it, they will have a hard time selling to the pro market. It will still be manufactured in China.

While I'm not a proponent of having things made in China, it's no longer a primary concern as far as quality. It's up to the manufacturer to choose good contractors and constantly perform QA on the products. Some very excellent quality product comes out of china. The Mac Pros I work on all day at the office, my laptop, my iPhone, etc. That's because Apple is on top of what's going on and won't allow complete crap to walk out the door of the contractors. There's no reason that decent pro audio gear can't be made there too. The problem is with who's doing the designing and calling the shots as far as assembly specs, not the location of the buildings they make the stuff. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not the country of manufacture that's the real issue anymore. Quality issues are really a company issue.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Craig Walsh

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 09:24

I agree. You cannot find mention of Behringer anywhere on the Midas or K/T websites. It's clearly not Uli's intention to "Behringerize" either company. However, I think it's already evident if the feature list comes to fruition that this desk will have some "Midas Inside." The AES50 choice is interesting because AFAIK only three companies use this protocol, including K/T and Midas. I would be very surprised that some of the Midas software doesn't end up in this. Why not? They've already paid for the talent and engineering work.

It's also clear that the Music Group doesn't want to cannibalize from their own brands. As proven by many of the responses here, the professional audio folks are still going to be buying their Midas consoles and Midas won't have to worry too much about their segment. They are strictly aiming for the garage band/MI market, not the pro-audio market. And they do sell tons of stuff to this segment. This new mixer is really aimed at the small time bands, home studios, schools and small churches that don't want to hassle with a bunch of outboard gear.

It remains to be seen if they can command that sort of price for it. They didn't seem to be able to draw much attention to their first digital mixer (the DDX3216) until they had a fire sale on it. I would not have picked one up at the original price it was sold at (app. $1800). But when it was dropped to $600 in 2006, I found it hard to pass up a 32 channel 16 bus digital console with all the goodies (like 17 motorized faders) at that price, and it's served me well for garage band use since. (Though, I do admit that I cringe every time I flip the power switch that it will boot up!). Overall, that console sounds fine, but it's no XL8.

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 10:38

However, I think it's already evident if the feature list comes to fruition that this desk will have some "Midas Inside." The AES50 choice is interesting because AFAIK only three companies use this protocol, including K/T and Midas. I would be very surprised that some of the Midas software doesn't end up in this. Why not? They've already paid for the talent and engineering work.

...and they did the Midas innards in Linux, and supposedly in a fairly modular fashion.  So it ought to be easy to use some of that stuff in other products, especially since they aren't stuck licensing a copy of Windows for each unit sold like Digico or Digidesign.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 11:38

It remains to be seen if they can command that sort of price for it. They didn't seem to be able to draw much attention to their first digital mixer (the DDX3216) until they had a fire sale on it. I would not have picked one up at the original price it was sold at (app. $1800). But when it was dropped to $600 in 2006, I found it hard to pass up a 32 channel 16 bus digital console with all the goodies (like 17 motorized faders) at that price, and it's served me well for garage band use since. (Though, I do admit that I cringe every time I flip the power switch that it will boot up!). Overall, that console sounds fine, but it's no XL8.

My only experience with the DDX3216 was for a live broadcast job I do every month. When the DDX came out the equipment vendor bought one since I had been arguing for a digital console (a DM1000). The console worked fine while we set everything up in the shop, and on the first day of load in. On day 2, 2 hours before a worldwide satellite test it failed to boot, the PS had gone bad. Good thing Dale Pro Audio was a 15 minute cab ride away and had a DM1000 in stock. I got the console, was able to program up our event, and went live on time. The gig now runs on 2 DM2000s and 1 DM1000.

Mac

Craig Walsh

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 13:42

[My only experience with the DDX3216 was for a live broadcast job I do every month. When the DDX came out the equipment vendor bought one since I had been arguing for a digital console (a DM1000). The console worked fine while we set everything up in the shop, and on the first day of load in. On day 2, 2 hours before a worldwide satellite test it fail to boot, the PS had gone bad. Good thing Dale Pro Audio was a 15 minute cab ride away and had a DM1000 in stock. I got the console, was able to program up our event, and went live on time. The gig now runs on 2 DM2000s and 1 DM1000.

Mac

Yep, that's apparently been the major issue with this desk, a faulty and complex power supply. Fortunately for me, I haven't encountered any problems like this yet with it or any other Behringer gear I have (e.g. DEQ and DCX2496 and ADA8K). When it does go, I'll probably pick up an O1V96 or the like though.

Craig Smith

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »

Ken Barlow wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 11:22

Targeting the digital console market for the average weekend warrior bands and local/small regional Sound Co's makes no sense to me as Yamaha, Roland and now Presonus has that pretty much wrapped up.

Both the Yamaha and Presonus have definite limitations.  Does Roland have something in that market?  The M-300 is well above it, and the Edirol products are well below.  I think there is plenty of room for more players, and am anxious to see some.  In a few years I think (or at least hope) that market will be virtually entirely digital.

Craig Smith

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 12:45

6 AUXes is probably fine for a lot of bar bands.  It isn't competitive with other digital offerings in this price range.

The StudioLive has 6, the Yamaha 8.  Is there something else in that range with more?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 15 queries.