ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32  (Read 114265 times)

Craig Walsh

New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »

Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32.aspx

Its price range would put it in competition with the O1V96 and Presonus offerings. But, it has some pretty good stuff to put it more in the league of the Yammy LS9:

32-Channel 16-Bus Digital Total Recall Live/Recording Mixing Console
•Total recall
•32 channels with inserts
•16 mix busses with inserts
•6 aux sends and returns
•8 stereo FX returns
•6 matrix mixers with inserts
•6 mute groups
•8 DCA groups
•Full-recording / multi-channel networking via FW/USB expansion cards*
•48-channel "digital snake" via ultra-low latency AES-50 ports*
•Fully programmable, high-end mic preamps
•25 low-noise 100mm motorized faders
•Super-easy user-interface with direct access
•No confusing menus
•High-resolution 7" colour TFT display
•Individual LCD displays per channel, DCA and Bus
•Full dynamics and EQ per channel, busses and matrices
•Adjustable line-delays on all inputs and outputs
•Virtual FX rack with 8 FX slots
•Powerful scene management for shows
•On-board recorder for uncompressed WAV files on USB flash drive
•Remote editor software to control via USB or Ethernet
•Extensive channel strip controls with user-definable control sections
•Connections to BEHRINGER P-16 personal monitoring system
•AES/EBU stereo digital output and full MIDI implementation
•Super-compact and lightweight
•$2,500 USD**

Yeah, it might be easy to dismiss based on its nameplate (I've owned a DDX3216 for 7 years and love that mixer, BTW). But didn't Uli buy Midas/KlarkTeknik? Could this be a result of that marriage?

The introduction of the DDX3216 brought about the ADA8000. I wonder if this new mixer will also result in the release of other new goodies that have been as useful. The 48 channel digital snake option sounds interesting, as does the built-in and FW-based connectivity.

Jeff Wheeler

Re: New Behringer digital mixer, the X32
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »

I do not agree that a mixer with 6 AUX sends is remotely "in the league" of the LS9.  If it is possible to convert mix buses into more AUXes, especially with convenient stereo IEM panning and AFL, I might change my mind.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if the feature set evolves before product launch.

As it is currently being touted, I don't see it offering much that the O1V doesn't, except the possible digital snake, head amp recall, and presumably more on-board pre-amps and A/D/A.  Those features are not enough to sell me on a product that costs a similar amount to an established product with a "better brand."

$0.02.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Craig Walsh

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

Jeff:

I agree the omni-outputs are low relative to an LS9-32 (and two fewer than on an LS916), but I would imagine there will be a simple work-around (e.g. via an ADA8K or the like). According to their page, there are 25 motorized faders, and 32 insert points with 16 bus inserts. This alone puts it way ahead of the 01V96. I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the "brand," but I think we'll have to see how this thing is laid out before just dismissing it off-hand. For example, it says it has "total recall." I could be wrong on this, but I believe this means the channel trims are also "full recall." This is supported by the following: "Fully programmable, high-end mic preamps." Now high-end is debatable, but fully programmable would imply recallable trim. This also would put this desk way ahead of the O1V96 and the Presonus units.

My own sense is that IF folks can get beyond the nameplate, this will offer some serious competition to other offerings in that price range. However, it's a BIG if. Their DDX3216 was/is a far more capable desk than the original O1V, but Behringer could not compete in that price range. We'll see how this one does.    

Adrian Genovesio

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 13:24

As it is currently being touted, I don't see it offering much that the O1V doesn't, except the possible digital snake, head amp recall, and presumably more on-board pre-amps and A/D/A.  Those features are not enough to sell me on a product that costs a similar amount to an established product with a "better brand."

$0.02.

Realistically, What people are looking for in there small format digital mixers these days are those things that you specified, along with it sounding good of course, so I think you are just disproving your point.  I think that the people who can accept using a brand that has a bad rep, will find themselves never looking back for a second on there decision to buy the Behringer over the Yamaha.  This mixer will definitely be in competition with the 01V and studio live.
"Based on Thévenin's theorem, all complicated problems in life can be calculated down to one basic problem that resists the normal continuance of life, P-thévenin, where P is the problem."

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »

Craig Walsh wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 09:54

Yeah, it might be easy to dismiss based on its nameplate

Yes it is.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Bob Kenton

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »

Would it be any different if the mixer had a "Designed by Midas" label on it?

Adrian Genovesio

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

Bob Kenton wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 15:23

Would it be any different if the mixer had a "Designed by Midas" label on it?

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
"Based on Thévenin's theorem, all complicated problems in life can be calculated down to one basic problem that resists the normal continuance of life, P-thévenin, where P is the problem."

Ned Ward

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »

it wouldn't until you looked on the back and saw "Built By Behringer" ... Laughing

Steve Hurt

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »

Things the Behringer has (supposedly), that the O1V96 does not, that interest me:

1) Total recall - recallable head amps
2) 25 motorized faders
3) Recording out for every channel via firewire
4) Digital snake

--------------------------------

On the other hand:
- The Behringer is vaporware currently.
- The Behringer is a Behringer and quality is NOT a given
- The Yamaha is a known - working - high quality - mixer - with a deep feature set

---------------------------------

Comes back to the same stuff that was said in the thread about the other digital mixer I'd read about.  

I know that this board isn't a LS9, M7, PM5D, etc.., but it sounds like it has a feature set that will sell units.  
I expect to see it on systems I mix on and am interested in knowing more.

---------------------------------

On a side note, I hope that this or one of the other new boards that are dropping will be what it takes to kick Yamaha's arse hard enough that they'll release a LS9-24 with an affordable digital snake.  Then I'll be happy........well..for a week or so!

Moby (Mike Diack)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 09:08

Craig Walsh wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 09:54

Yeah, it might be easy to dismiss based on its nameplate

Yes it is.

I find it quite extraordinary how quickly folk are ready to condemn equipment sight unseen on the basis of brand alone. I dont own a lot of Behringer (a couple of ADA8ks and a DEQ2496) but it all works 100% perfectly. Most of my Yammy gear is fine, but a 1974 TX500 bike bought new warped heads faster than electric kool-aid so I'm not about to show unquestioning faith in that brand.
Let's wait and see.
M
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.