ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM60F and Fulcrum DX1295  (Read 21888 times)

Silas Pradetto

Re: Danley SM60F and Fulcrum DX1295
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 13:14

Tim Weaver wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 00:36

I would like some sort of direct comparison to a KF650. These cabs seem to be all in the same market and the KF650 is a cabinet that many of us have direct experience with. It should help to quantify some of your impressions.

I don't think that that comparison is applicable for these cabinets.  The KF650 has a rated max SPL almost twice as loud as what these cabinets are rated for, is  tri-ampable, and is significantly heavier than either of the boxes in question here.

A much better comparison to the KF650 would be the Danley SH46 or D&B C series.

Jeff

I think you guys are overrating the KF650. It's still a single front-loaded 15, it's not magic or physics-defying. While the MF and HF will far outrun the LF, in a single-to-single comparison the KF650 probably won't beat out the dual-12 Fulcrum box, nor the dual-8 horn-loaded Danley box, or at least by much.

Also remember, the KF650 is rated "calculated max SPL" and both the Danley and Fulcrum are rated "this is the real maximum output we measured."

Fulcrum is letting me demo the DX boxes this weekend, and I've had a limited demo of the SM60. I've used the KF650s quite a bit.

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »

Silas Pradetto { wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 13:20

I think you guys are overrating the KF650. It's still a single front-loaded 15, it's not magic or physics-defying. While the MF and HF will far outrun the LF, in a single-to-single comparison the KF650 probably won't beat out the dual-12 Fulcrum box, nor the dual-8 horn-loaded Danley box, or at least by much.

Also remember, the KF650 is rated "calculated max SPL" and both the Danley and Fulcrum are rated "this is the real maximum output we measured."

Fulcrum is letting me demo the DX boxes this weekend, and I've had a limited demo of the SM60. I've used the KF650s quite a bit.

Hi Silas,

That's a good point, but the KF-650 low frequency drivers will couple when arrayed (and thus help to even out the frequency response/maximum SPL).

I don't think Fulcrum would intend for the DX1265/95 to be used in arrays of 2 or more per side.

One other note, while Danley lists a realistic Sensitivity and power rating for their products, they do not list the Measured Maximum SPL (it's calculated).

Please add your results once you've concluded testing too.

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »

Hello Jeff,

I was wondering how you would compare SM60's and SH50's?  I know you have not had the chance to directly compare them. However, I do know you have had a lot of experience with SH50's.  

The Calculated output is similar.  The weight on the other hand is very different.  Would you say that the SM60's still have that clean high output sound like the SH50's?  

I run SH50's at there peak output levels often. I love how after hours of listening I don't feel much ear fatigue.

If the SM60 is capable of similar high output yet easy listening. Then I am very interested in these cabinets..  

Danley sound on a regular tripod speaker stand!   Nice...
BooYaKahSha

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

Jeff Bailie wrote on Fri, 10 December 2010 14:00

Hello Jeff,

I was wondering how you would compare SM60's and SH50's?  I know you have not had the chance to directly compare them. However, I do know you have had a lot of experience with SH50's.  

The Calculated output is similar.  The weight on the other hand is very different.  Would you say that the SM60's still have that clean high output sound like the SH50's?  

I run SH50's at there peak output levels often. I love how after hours of listening I don't feel much ear fatigue.

If the SM60 is capable of similar high output yet easy listening. Then I am very interested in these cabinets..  

Danley sound on a regular tripod speaker stand!   Nice...

The big performance differences are that the SH50 goes lower in freq, and can handle a good bit more bass than the SM60.  You can do more boosting on the low end of the SH50 than you can on the SM60.  This may or may not be important in a particular system (like where the subs are crossover over and how they are run).

Te SM60 has a max output several dB lower than the SH50.

It is also a smaller horn, so the pattern control does not extend as low as the SH50.

Regarding sonic differences-people have different opinions, but on some material I like the SH50 better and on others I like the SM60 better.  

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 21 queries.