ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Test Mic placement for room tuning  (Read 11377 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Test Mic placement for room tuning
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »

Steve Richard-Preston wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 21:18

sure more mic positions per round is better for the average, but if you want to make a comparison between the first round of meaurements and then the second round of meaurements (after tweaking has bene done), then you wouldn't want any variance between the two readings of the same mic position? (as opposed to simply having more mic positiotns to average)

Cheers and thanks again for the info/discussion

If you really want to push the "no variance" then you will get into things like-is the temp the same at both times of measurements?  What about the humidity?

The deeper you dig-the deeper the hole gets.

In a lot of room alignmnets-it is more about getting the same realative sound everywhere-rather than geting really picky aobut little things that you don't have control over.

That is part of the whole alignment process-knowing what you can and-often more importantly-what you CAN'T fix.  So you just leave those areas alone and ignore them.  You can't do anything about it anyway.  Don't let it bother you.

A question for thought-if you have a multispeaker setup-what tool would you rather have 1: eqs   2: delays
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Steve Richard-Preston

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »

Hey Ivan, yeah wasn't going get into temperature etc  Laughing  Keep the aircon running the whole time anyway!!

Regarding your question, the point your getting at is ensuring phase between multiple speakers right?  Good question, so far I've been focussing more on a flat response. But thanks for the heads up. We've got Nexias going into the theatres, so I'm lucky that I don't have to choose! gotta love DSP.

What would you choose, if you had to?

We've got EV ZX5's going into the front corners of the room and then 2 x AT ALA arrays as a centre fill on the ceiling about 2 meters from the front wall... just FYI

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 08:05:56 PM »

Steve Richard-Preston wrote on Sun, 21 November 2010 19:58

Hey Ivan, yeah wasn't going get into temperature etc  Laughing  Keep the aircon running the whole time anyway!!

Regarding your question, the point your getting at is ensuring phase between multiple speakers right?  Good question, so far I've been focussing more on a flat response. But thanks for the heads up. We've got Nexias going into the theatres, so I'm lucky that I don't have to choose! gotta love DSP.

What would you choose, if you had to?

We've got EV ZX5's going into the front corners of the room and then 2 x AT ALA arrays as a centre fill on the ceiling about 2 meters from the front wall... just FYI

If you have loudspeakers that are "out of time" you will have all sorts of notches in the response-that no amount of eq cold possibly fix.  But get them lined up with a delay, the they will either go away-or be greatly reduced.

Yes the amplitude may still be a bit "off" without eq, but the ear is more sensitive to phase response (at least that has been my experience).  OF course that is "assuming" that the natural response of the loudspeaker is not all that bad. Rolling Eyes
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.