ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eminence Lab12  (Read 4061 times)

leon douven

• http://www.drsjaak.nl
Eminence Lab12
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »

Hello all,

Could the Eminence LAB12 driver be improved for the existing LAB horn? If yes.. what parameters of the driver should be changed…and  what could be gained in performance of the LAB sub?

As far as I can track down the design of the LAB12 driver is around 10 years old… I can imagine that speaker technology in the past 10 years improved in a way that Eminence could upgrade the driver to the new state of the art…  Big chanse it will cost a fortune, on the other hand… that leaves a little chanse that if Eminence could be provided with new parameters we could end up with an improved driver.. and an improved LAB sub.

Just a thought,

Thanks, best regards,
Leon

Silas Pradetto

Re: Eminence Lab12
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

Tom Danley designed the box and the woofer. Undoubtedly, it's the right woofer for the box. Have technologies in the past 10 years really improved enough that something significantly better could be used?

The LAB design has the limitation of a small rear chamber with an inability to transfer heat to the outside world. A huge-power woofer would likely have lower sensitivity and dissipate more heat, not a good combination for the LAB.

The low frequency cutoff is much more determined by the horn than the woofer, do I doubt the LAB could be made to go any lower.

Now if a higher sensitivity woofer could be made that operated on the same power, it would be great. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the Thiele-Small parameters to recommend any changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.