ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood vs ABS Plastic for speaker cabnets.  (Read 37946 times)

Keith Schmidt

Wood vs ABS Plastic for speaker cabnets.
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:35 AM »

I know this sounds like a stupid thing to ask, because its quite obvious which is better. Wood Cabinets. No Question.

However, when on a budget and have hauling limitations, how much is wood really worth? It may sound way better, but it is heavy, takes up a larger space (Usually) and is harder to set up. Mind you the cab wont shatter if its pushed into a pit or knocked over by an over enthusiastic bassist.

But plastics have come a long way, are lighter, usually cheaper, and... thats about it.

Is it worth going for wood cabinets when on a budget, or would buying plastic cabs be a decent investment. They are a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

Personally i don't plan on buying an ABS Plastic cab for anything, except maybe studio monitors but thats a different forum all together, i am just curious because i have heard both sides of the argument, and there is always a catch 22.

The Deep

Seth Hochberg

• http://www.sethhochberg.com
Re: Wood vs ABS Plastic for speaker cabnets.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:18 AM »

There are good wood PA cabs, and there are plenty of bad ones. There are good plastic PA cabs, and plenty of bad ones of those, too.

Have specific models in mind? That might help folks give you a lot more specific advice.
Owner, Osprey Audio
Assistant engineer, University of Miami Frost School of Music Recording Services

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:15 AM »

I like wood. Will only buy wood.

But one of the best small club rigs (actually the best, by far - from Eric Muller's sound company) I have ever heard (many times) is a couple of ZXA5s over turbo subs.

If I wasn't so thick-headed, I would probably concede that listening tells a lot more than looking.

MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Dan Richardson

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »

Keith Schmidt wrote on Sun, 07 November 2010 00:42

I know this sounds like a stupid thing to ask, because its quite obvious which is better. Wood Cabinets. No Question.

Better for what?
dut duruduttdurudutt dut dutt. I hate iphones.

Bob Leonard

Re: Wood vs ABS Plastic for speaker cabinets.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »

Wood has it's own resonance and can either subtract or add to the tone significantly. Plastic, not so much. Wood can and will reduce distortion. Plastic, not so much. Wood gives me wood. Plastic, not so much.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Wood vs ABS Plastic for speaker cabinets.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Sun, 07 November 2010 08:34

Wood has it's own resonance and can either subtract or add to the tone significantly. Plastic, not so much. Wood can and will reduce distortion. Plastic, not so much. Wood gives me wood. Plastic, not so much.

Loudspeaker cabinets for musical reproduction are generally designed to be dead and free of resonances. Cabinets for musical instrument sound creation, is a different matter. I suspect plastic could probably make an acceptable music box with a little extra effort. Ovation guitars come to mind, as plastic that doesn't suck, but I expect that is subjective and opinions may vary.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

I won't pretend to know a lot about materials science or speaker design. If fact, the more I learn about each, the more I realize how much I don't know.

My guess is that building a speaker cabinet is not the same as building a violin.

I've also heard that speaker cabinet resonance can be a bad thing, and that's one of the reasons speaker cabinets have thick walls and use extensive amounts of bracing.

Also, "plastic" has a very long history of being a dirty word.

There is a company here in my hometown that makes HDPE panels up to 2 inches thick in sheets up to 5'x10'. I have often wondered how good they'd be for making speakers, and if the acoustic properties did not allow you the material to make good speaker cabinets, maybe it would be good for racks and cases.

The company is doing a bang-up business in products for rest rooms and locker rooms, and much of the success is due to the product's durability and longevity with very little maintenance.  
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Bob Josjor

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »

Seth Hochberg wrote on Sat, 06 November 2010 23:14

There are good wood PA cabs, and there are plenty of bad ones. There are good plastic PA cabs, and plenty of bad ones of those, too.

We have a winner!!! Very Happy

There are lots of general statements that may apply (wood is heavy, plastic flexs too much, etc) but the above statement is the only truly correct one.
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?

Chuck Simon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »

Bob Josjor wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 00:05

Seth Hochberg wrote on Sat, 06 November 2010 23:14

We have a winner!!! Very Happy

There are lots of general statements that may apply (wood is heavy, plastic flexs too much, etc) but the above statement is the only truly correct one.

Really?  What are some of the really good plastic ones?  Who is using them?

Bob Josjor

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »

I don't think it said "REALLY" good, just "good."  Very Happy  But for what its worth I've got some Peavey Impulse 1015's that, paired with a powered mixer, are my go to rig for small events like auctions, background muzak, etc.  They sound good, look good, and are fairly bullet proof for rentals.  

Definately not high end or tour grade, but GOOD, which is what the original quote specified.
Why did I drink all the ingredients for vomit?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.