ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaart 7 Hookup Question  (Read 5165 times)

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
Re: Smaart 7 Hookup Question
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:04:58 pm »

Ok so I want to compare the signal coming out of mixer to the signal from the measurement mic.  Would I use a y cable from the output of the mixer?
Yes.  As long as the point where you "y" the output of the mixer is prior to the system eq.  And no, splitting an output does not reduce the level.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 01:36:18 am »

Also, in order to determine where to take the reference signal you need to define what you want to measure.
Many PA systems have a speaker processor or DSP after the mixer and before the amps. In these systems it is common to want to measure what the "speakers" are doing to the sound. Speakers, in this case is the speaker cabs, the amps and the DSP. Based on what you see, you make changes in the DSP.
In your case where the speakers are powered and contain a DSP as well you need to determine what you want to measure since you can't make changes in the DSP.
 If I were in your position, and I have been, then I would want to take my reference before my system EQ (typically at Graphic EQ) so I could make EQ changes based on my measurements.
A Y cable is a fine way to get the signal. It doesn't split half each way... Both paths will get the whole signal.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nicolas Lowman

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

Hi Johnny,

If you are serious about this stuff, get the book "Sound Systems: Design and Optimization, Second Edition: Modern Techniques and Tools for Sound System Design and Alignment" by the one and only Bob McCarthy. You will have lots of questions and there are many answers in the book. It is highly recommended.

Nicolas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.