ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is the best type of Sub?  (Read 9146 times)

Jared Bartimus

Re: Which is the best type of Sub?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:13:38 AM »

Keith Schmidt wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 00:07

Ivan Beaver wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 19:50

A note of clarification.  Running the subs on an aux does not mean that the bass insgtruments only go into the subs.  Ture they are the intruments that go into the subs-BUT THEY also go into the full range main cabinets.

The idea is to clean up the low end of the system-NOT to use the subs as the only amplification for the instruments.

This was a face-palm on my part, i wasn't thinking about the full system. I still am hesitant because the mixer doesn't have as many aux sends as id like. Something you can never have enough of is Aux sends I've found xD

Considering there was an article on PSW talking about TSO using 48 outputs on their monitor board, that is pretty much always true even on large scale productions.

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »

Keith Schmidt wrote on Sun, 07 November 2010 23:07

Ivan Beaver wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 19:50

A note of clarification.  Running the subs on an aux does not mean that the bass insgtruments only go into the subs.  Ture they are the intruments that go into the subs-BUT THEY also go into the full range main cabinets.

The idea is to clean up the low end of the system-NOT to use the subs as the only amplification for the instruments.

This was a face-palm on my part, i wasn't thinking about the full system. I still am hesitant because the mixer doesn't have as many aux sends as id like. Something you can never have enough of is Aux sends I've found xD

Although some prefer subs driven from an aux , you don't need aux sends to use subwoofers effectively.
You will need a crossover to remove the upper end from the subs, and the low end from the tops.

Keith Schmidt

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »

I found what seems to be a good Yamaha sub, the SW118V, with the frequency response i need (30hz to 200hz) and although its not the best design, it has nice ports on the bottom.

As for a crossover, would a $100 Peavey one work for me? it seems like a good product.
The Deep

Art Welter

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »

Keith Schmidt wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 17:47

I found what seems to be a good Yamaha sub, the SW118V, with the frequency response i need (30hz to 200hz) and although its not the best design, it has nice ports on the bottom.

As for a crossover, would a $100 Peavey one work for me? it seems like a good product.

Keith,

The SW118V is 10 dB down at 30 Hz, in other words, half as loud, needing 10 times the power to sound the same down low as in the 100 Hz range. Of course 30 Hz is below the "nice ports on the bottom" box tuning, and it will run out of excursion (cones will flap) if you try to put in much power down low.

Expect that one 18” SW118V will kind of “keep up” with one 12” top.
Expect if you have two top cabinets that one single (mid performance) 18” will be about 6 to 10 dB less output than what you are looking for.

As far as a $100 Peavey crossover, it probably is a simple analog crossover, which will “work”.

It won’t give you the control that a digital signal processor (like a DBX DriveRackPa) will give you.
A DSP allows you to set HP, LP, crossover slope and type, delay, and parametric EQ.

All of those controls are very helpful to get the most out of any sub without blowing it up.

You may want to try re- reading the posts in this thread, and my PM to you.

Good luck !

Art Welter
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.