ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Q-Spot 260 LED  (Read 17456 times)

Jeff Wheeler

Chauvet Q-Spot 260 LED
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

Can anyone comment on the Chauvet Q-Spot 260 LED fixture?  I am interested in a couple of budget movers with color and gobo wheels.  I have no experience with movers and cannot compare to others; mostly I am interested in reliability -- if I treat it well, is it going to give me a few hundred shows without any major maintenance; or are these things a lot of upkeep?

Also, not being familiar with these type of fixtures, do they generally come with some color/gobo things, or do I need to purchase them?  I understand that they can be swapped for ones of my own choosing, but if there are some included in the unit when it ships it will make things simple for me.

Thanks
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: Chauvet Q-Spot 260 LED
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »

Jeff, I've had no experience with that specific fixture, but I have had a bit of experiences with other recent Chauvet moving heads, and it was almost 100% bad.

The only LED ,over that I've used is the ADJ X-Scan, and they are a cost-effective basic fixture.

In general, you buy the fixture and it comes with colors and gobos. If the fixture has rotating gobos you can typically replace them with different gobos. If the wheel is a fixed wheel, as are most cheaper mover/scanners, you typically cannot change the factory gobos easily. In most case the colors are fixed and not easily changed.

Just about everybody is moving away from halogens to LED's, and now there are a few cost-effective fixtures showing up that will compete with the features normally found on the 250w discharge fixtures.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »

Are there others in this price range?  The Q-Spot 260 is $1000 MAP and, to me, seemed like it might be "too good to be true."  As I mentioned, I know nothing about movers; but I am not surprised that the only response I got to my post was your warning.

So, is my budget too low and I need to be willing to spend significantly more for a good LED mover; or will good fixtures be in the $1000-ish price range soon?

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

I'd suggest the ADJ X-Move if you want a basic moving head w/o rotating gobos (MAP $ 599.99); ADJ Vizi LED Spot has more features and is probably a better value (MAP $ 749.99).

There were some new products at LDI, but not a whole lot of exciting stuff. ADJ had a prototype of the Vizi Scan, but no one seemed to notice (think AccuScan with an LED).
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Mike Pyle

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »

I've sold a few of the Q-Spot 260s to DJs, and so far the reviews have all been positive. I do have a sample here in stock that I ran for a little while in autorun. From this limited use so far I like what I see. The movement is quick, smooth and quiet. It is brighter than the 150w halogens I've seen, and probably as bright as the cheaper 250w discharge lights. They deliver a lot of features for the price.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »

How is Chauvet on service if it needs warranty or non-warranty repair?  I imagine if the service was poor you wouldn't want to be a dealer for them; but if I do have trouble with a fixture, is the turn-around time usually good?

My understanding of the spec sheet of the American DJ product is that its brightness is likely to be comparable to a 150w PAR can, or in other words, not all that great.  I think (through my limited understanding of how to interpret lux/lumens/lampie words) the Q-Spot 260 would be almost as bright as the PAR64 1w*36 fixtures I own, or a little more useful; but still nothing like a pro moving head with a power-hungry light source.

Buying movers is pretty spooky for me, since two of these gadgets is basically as much as enough PAR cans for me to add decent lighting to my B-rig.  But I know my customers will be really impressed if I get any kind of decently-bright mover that can run on crappy bar power.  They're not asking for more sound anymore, that part is covered, now they want more lights.

I don't know how to mount the things, either.  I don't see any way to get the fixtures to point the directions I need without hanging them overhead, so I am going to need to buy some truss that is portable enough for cheap work but also safe and will not flex or fail with the moving head doing its thing.  I am guessing this means square truss and something better than tripod stands to support it, like maybe a real structure with four legs.  So this is a pretty big expense for me and I really want to make the right fixture choice.

EDIT: Oh, to give you an idea about my knowledge of mounting light fixtures, I had no clue how to mount my par cans on T-bars.  I measured the bars, emailed Mike, and asked him to sell me the appropriate parts.  So I don't even have a clue what it's going to cost to buy the truss and supports I am going to need, I am guessing $2000 - $3000 would be about right for a configuration that could be around a 16 or 20 foot span, square truss columns, corner adapters, and some type of bases.  Maybe this is way low?  I do not know, but I don't want to buy the typical "DJ truss" I-beam and two tripods, because I am pretty sure that would at least scare people with live loads on it, if not fall down.

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »

another option to mount the moving heads would be to use 8' - 10' truss
sections and sit the moving head on top but depending on the setup of your
gigs that may not be the best option.  I got my truss from centerstagelighting.com
but their site has been down for some time now not sure what is going on
but they have pretty good prices on Global Truss.  As for lighting I can't speak
on the Q Spot 260 other than that I know a few DJs that have them and they
like them for their uses.  I have the ADJ X-Move due to its size and cost.  I
do mobile DJing so for me it works out pretty well.  I get out of it basically
what I expect for something at its price point.  I look at it this way... as long
as it holds up for the 3 years I plan to keep it I got my money worth.  I rarely
keep lighting more than 3 years and I don't do large scale shows so for me
the ADJ X-Move was a good purchase.  I keep them in cases during transport
and I wipe the dust off before storing them as well to make sure they stay clean.
Pre-Game Mixshow Tuesdays 9pm - 10pm EST only on www.THE6FM.com

Cameron Williamson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »

Just wanted to give a founded opinion on these fixtures. I love them. Kinda bulky for a mobile dj like myself, but, still smaller the a mac250/accuspot/design spot. And seriously bright. I am a very satisfied customer. I've only had these four three months so I can't comment on longevity, but I haven't had a single issue from any of the four I purchased. My only complaint and this is minor, the cooling fans (there are two) run constantly at high speed whether the led is on or not. I'm hoping this isn't a problem down the line. A dead fan could easily become a dead fixture, but at this point I haven't seen any other issues. Way less power consumption. (I was able to run all four lights, speakers and decks on one outlet!) Low heat, low weight and decent price point. I'm a believer, here's a video review I did along with some test footage. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpPQj_rekWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBzoMTr8S4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haDF_NjUkvo

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Cameron.  I have decided on this fixture and am pinching my pennies so I can pick up a bunch of other things at the same time / from same vendor.  I am not too worried about size/bulk but am looking forward to the low weight compared to more professional fixtures.  Hopefully that does not mean less longevity, but I'll give it a try and see how many of them have needed service within a few years. Smile

John Livings

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »

Hey Cameron,

Welcome and Nice review on the lights.

it is great to have someone who has actually used them, Please report back and let us know how the Q-Spot 260 LEDs work out a few months down the road.

Regards,  John
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.