ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 21" Sub Build Pics and Impressions  (Read 29100 times)

Loren Jones

Re: RCF 21" Sub Build Pics and Impressions
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »

Evan,

They do have some internal bracing between the side walls and the top and back of the cabinet.  I wouldn't say they are extensively braced compared to what I have done for some home subs in the past.  I could always add more bracing if I needed to.

As far as building a modified version of these, I am sure you would be happy with them (a dozen of them that is Smile ).  Building the flared port was the only mildly difficult part.

As far as measuring them I may take you up on that.  I will PM you.  Would love to hear your new Mackie HD's as well.  I have been wishing our church would buy a pair of those 1531's to go on top of these for the youth services.

Thanks,
Loren
Loren Jones

Loren Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »

I dunno about the weight for sure.  I can pick one of them up by those top handles and put it in my minivan.  I would guess they weigh 100lbs or so but that is just a guess.
Loren Jones

Loren Jones

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »

Quote:

I like the design can you post that too.

I would love to post the design, however it isn't mine to post.  I can put you in touch with the LABster who designed them if you would like to get the design from him.  He may have some slight modifications that he has made since my Fb came out a little lower than the design called for.  I don't know about that.

Perhaps he can chime in here if he cares to regarding his comments on the design or other thoughts.

Take care,
Loren Jones
Loren Jones

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »

Hi Loren,

Congratulations on the subwoofer build!  I'm glad that the drivers found a good home.

Please keep us posted if you get any measurements of the cabinets.

Thank you,

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Franz Francis

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »

Not trying to hijack your thread,
Eighteen Sound is offering a dual twenty one inch design on their website, the specs don’t look too efficient, wondering if anyone made an attempt to built this box.
http://www.eighteensound.com/staticContent/applications/kits /kit21_dual.htm

From what I heard Adamson’s huge T21 is clone of their design, just bigger and heavier.

http://www.adamsonsystems.com/products/yaxis/t21/t21.php

Franz

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »

Loren,

I'm jealous! I hope I'll have the opportunity to hear them sometime, "that LABster" talks a lot of shit, I'm curious to hear how the math worked out. Twisted Evil

P.S. Beautiful carpentry.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Ned Ward

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 01 November 2010 10:16

Loren,

P.S. Beautiful carpentry.

+1 on that - love all the pocket screws. Norm Abrams from the New Yankee Workshop would be proud.

Loren Jones

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »

Thanks Jeff for the good deal on the drivers.  I will definitely post some measurements if/when I get them.
Loren Jones

Loren Jones

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »

I believe that the RCF spec for sensitivity of the driver is 98.5 db but I didn't see on their website the test conditions for that.  So that would be pretty similar sensitivity to or perhaps a little higher than an average single 18".  The model of this design predicted 128db max continuous output at 49hz.  The driver is rated for 1500 watts continuous based on thermal capability.  So it will take some power to exploit it fully, but I don't think it is any less efficient than other single driver reflex loaded cabinets.

My $.02 on the efficiency question.  I don't know about those commercial offerings.
Loren Jones

Loren Jones

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »

Well Phillip errr I mean that Labster's excellent sketchup drawing of the design made it super easy to build.  Everything was measured down to the millimeter on the drawing.  I just had to set the ripfence and start cutting.

Thanks for the kind words on the carpentry.
Loren Jones
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.