ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RFD Washington DC private room - any experience?  (Read 3904 times)

Bill MacFie

RFD Washington DC private room - any experience?
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »

My son's band is going to be playing a gig in the private room at RFD Washington DC in a few weeks. Anyone on the forum from the DC area have any experience and advise for the venue?

From the few pictures I've seen from their website, looks like a hard maze of a room, but really difficult to tell. I've asked my son to try to get some details on th room.  

Thanks for any input!

Bill

Jay Barracato

Re: RFD Washington DC private room - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:17 AM »

I have no idea what RFD stands for.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Bill MacFie

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »

It's just the name of the place....

http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html

Room only holds about 150 people according to the site.

Bill

Jay Barracato

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »

Brickkeller I would have recognized. That particular place on 7th street used to have different name/ownership that eludes me back in the 80's when I was down that way a lot.

I don't really remember anything specific (maybe a high pressed tin ceiling?) but in general I would follow the usual small room guidelines and keep as much sound off of the hard surfaces, control the stage volume, and don't try to overpower the room.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 08:06

Brickkeller I would have recognized. That particular place on 7th street used to have different name/ownership that eludes me back in the 80's when I was down that way a lot.

I don't really remember anything specific (maybe a high pressed tin ceiling?) but in general I would follow the usual small room guidelines and keep as much sound off of the hard surfaces, control the stage volume, and don't try to overpower the room.

Hello Jay,

Is that in the George Town Area? And, if so....was that a seafood Bar & Grille in the past?

Cheers,
 Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Jay Barracato

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »

The original Brickskeller on 22nd street is kind of near Georgetown. That has been there throughout my memory going back into the 80's. The one Bill is talking about is over on 7th street near the convention center/ verizon center. Since the verizon center opened that area has been rebuilt with a dining/entertainment district.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Steve Milner

• http://www.stevemilnersound.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

RFD isn't just near the Verizon Center on 7th street...it is DIRECTLY across from it, and a MAJOR hub of activity if anything is going on at the arena that night. I do not envy you the trouble you are going to have loading into that place, and if there happens to be a hockey game on that night, forget about it.

If it is a non-event night at the arena, (which is rare this time of year) then you should be able to pull up out front (provided you can snag a street space, which don't open up very often) and just roll through the front doors. I would do a site visit, talk to whoever you can about the best way to get in and out. On a moderate night, that bar is mobbed, and on a game night, the local radio stations use it as a base to broadcast some pre and post game shows, which always draws a stupid big crowd.

In that part of town, make sure you have a good cart with you that you can roll your gear easily if needed. It is not unusual in D.C. to have to push boxes a block or two down a sidewalk to get where you are going.... so make sure you have wheels!!!

Parking after you load in is easy, head around the corner to NY & 9th to the old convention center parking lot... it's an open air lot and can handle trailers, trucks and tour buses. FYI, they get you for $50 to park a box truck in there... not bad if you planned for it, but they only take cash, so be ready.

The last word of warning is to watch out for the people in the crosswalks that are wearing reflective vests that say traffic control on them. They are absolutely BRUTAL people to have to deal with, and they will write you a ticket within SECONDS of you committing any type of parking or traffic infraction. They are now stationed at the intersection outside of RFD on an almost permanent basis.... so pulling up and leaving flashers on, leaving the back end of your van sticking out into the intersection etc etc etc, will get you a nice juicy ticket almost immediately. Make sure whatever you do to load / unload and park is 100% legal, or they will snag you!

Oh yeah...another bit of advice is simply that on almost every north/south bound street  (and many of the east /west streets) there is ABSOLUTELY NO parking or standing between 4-6:30 pm, due to rush hour. The street signs seems to confuse EVERYONE, so make sure you read very carefully. If in doubt, don't park. They are amazingly fast with the tickets in that part of town, and have bands of roving tow trucks circling that part of the city just waiting to come scoop you up, should you leave your vehicle on the street during rush hour. This will cost you over $300 to get it back, and again it is CASH only. They even get the UPS & Fedex guys during this time when they are making deliveries, no one is above the rule... loading or otherwise.

I love D.C. !  Laughing

edit: SP.

Bill MacFie

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for all the info...I'm pretty familiar with DC in general and the hell that DC can be....I'd rather have to get around in NYC than DC any day. But the lot info is great.

The gig is on Sat. Nov. 13th, and there's a big gospel event at the Verizon center that night, so a ton of advance planning will be in order, which really isn't something that the boys do well (they do the load in, set up and load out). I might actually have to help them. Also will have to see if the venue has a prescribed loading area...

From what the boys told me the gig is a Sierra Nevada Brewery Anniversary bash, so they plan on having the place hopping (I just realized that that's a really bad pun that was actually unintended)with radio personalities and media....so it's a great exposure opportunity for them.

Thanks again!

Bill

Dick Rees

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »

Bill MacFie wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 13:41

...so it's a great exposure opportunity for them.

Bill

Bill....

Speaking from the far side of 40 years of playing music and working events I can say this:

People die of exposure every year.

Take cash only.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Bill MacFie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 14:50

Bill MacFie wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 13:41

...so it's a great exposure opportunity for them.

Bill

Bill....

Speaking from the far side of 40 years of playing music and working events I can say this:

People die of exposure every year.

Take cash only.

LOL....as far as I know, the boys will get paid. Just one of the details I need to get.

If they are going to get paid enough to bring a real sound guy in, I will certainly make that recommendation, and if so, will be contacting possible providers from this board. I just need to get more info to get a better read on the situation.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 15 queries.