ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Built a new t18 and it sounds like garbage! p.s im a noob -_-  (Read 17494 times)

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
Re: Built a new t18 and it sounds like garbage! p.s im a noob -_-
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »

Unfortunately I built these subs for a former employer (state of Texas) and I no longer have access to them. They were, however, just the straight up cabinet as recommended by WinISD. I didn't change anything. I think I used dual three-inch ports in each cab iirc. That size port was the most manageable size for my cabinet. 4 inch ports were way too long, and required a bend on the inside plus making the cabinet physically larger than needed.

These make nice single 18 subs. Nothing special, but very nice sounding, and a decent size to move around....

Art Welter

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Mon, 11 October 2010 22:00

WTF was EV thinking when they sold that cab to the public???

They were thinking that a small cabinet that can put out kick drum punch loud enough to be heard over an Ampeg SVT or an Acoustic 360 would be groovy.

Much of the kick drum sound of the disco era was not much lower than the fat snare sound that went with it, if a cabinet could do  60 Hz, good enough.

We want another octave lower now.

Kevin Unger

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »

Art Welter wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 07:21

Kevin,

The T 18 bass box referenced in this thread is a lousy bass box made by EV, not a lousy BFM box.

BFM's graphs would be much more believable if they were not hand drawn.

(OT)

Art,

I own and abuse a lot of those "lousy" BFM boxes. I've missed this part of the post as I was in a hurry.

The ROI is great for what I'm doing. As per smaart, the readings are not that far off from Bill's graphs (on the subs atleast, didn't get to test the omnitop line)

/OT

Art Welter

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »

Kevin Unger wrote on Mon, 25 October 2010 22:22

Art Welter wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 07:21

Kevin,

The T 18 bass box referenced in this thread is a lousy bass box made by EV, not a lousy BFM box.

BFM's graphs would be much more believable if they were not hand drawn.

(OT)

Art,

I own and abuse a lot of those "lousy" BFM boxes. I've missed this part of the post as I was in a hurry.

The ROI is great for what I'm doing. As per smaart, the readings are not that far off from Bill's graphs (on the subs atleast, didn't get to test the omnitop line)

/OT

Kevin,

When you last swerved the thread a month ago, mistaking the EV T 18 for a BFM, stating:
“ t18 is a tiny sub designed for small rooms and to be corner-loaded. I don't get all the BFM knocking on here,  when all the cabs perform as the graphs show on his site; and allow us diy'rs to build tested, easy to build cabs with a budget in mind.”

I tried to humorously point out nobody had mentioned BFM before you.

As you pointed out, some of BFM’s designs are too small to produce any low bass without being corner loaded in small rooms.
If those designs work for the end user, well and good.

Neither the EV T18, or the BFM T18 would work well for someone wanting much output in the 30-60 octave in other than a small room.

BFM does makes much larger and longer horn designs that are appropriate for large rooms.

As do many others, for free.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.