ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 8x24 DSP Matrix products  (Read 9386 times)

Glennn Carolan

8x24 DSP Matrix products
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »

Looking for suggestions for stand alone products to replace an existing 8x24 DSP Matrix for an auditorium.  tri amped LCR, near, subs, delays, rooms feeds, monitors, assitive listening etc.

Currently looking at the Ashly ne24.24M

Whats else is out there?  

Al Clayton

Re: 8x24 DSP Matrix products
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »

The ne24.24m is only capable of 24 i/o's. So the most outputs you could do with 8 inputs is 16.

Not sure, but I think you could get to 8x24 using the ne processors with cobranet interface.

Soundweb?

Symmetrix?

I like the Ashly. Easy to use, sound good, good price point. I've used a lot of them and they have been very reliable  
Beer is proof that God Loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

Horray Beer!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

I prefer the Bi amp Audia line of DSP's.

But they do not offer a unit that has 32 input/outputs on the same frame-you would have to use an expansion input or output module.

The Ashley you reference will not do 32 channels either (on the single frame)-unless I am missing something.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Glennn Carolan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

In reality could get away with 8 IN 13 OUT; current setup has every main/sub/delay speaker with it's own output.

Looking for replacement options, also thoughts/experiences with the Ashly ne or others.

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

Glennn Carolan wrote on Fri, 22 October 2010 11:06

Looking for suggestions for stand alone products to replace an existing 8x24 DSP Matrix for an auditorium.  tri amped LCR, near, subs, delays, rooms feeds, monitors, assitive listening etc.

Currently looking at the Ashly ne24.24M

Whats else is out there?  

Just commented about this in another thread actaully but I use the DBX SC-32 (or 64) when I need more ins/outs than the Ashly can offer.  In fact we just used one on an auditorium project.

http://www.dbxpro.com/SC32/index.php

Nice and easy to use.
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Adam Kane

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »

If you can get by with 8x16, the ne24.24 is a nice, easy to use unit that I have found to be very reliable. I can think of a couple that have been turned on 24/7 for a few years now (one under pretty harsh conditions) and have not had a single issue...typical of my experiences with Ashly stuff in general.

The dbx SC-32 that Peter mentioned isn't a bad way to go either.

There's a lot of CobraNet stuff out there (BSS Soundweb, QSC qscontrol, Biamp, etc) that could get the job done with multiple units. I like the flexibility and room for expansion that the platform offers, but the budget isn't there for every job.

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »

What is the existing processing?  The dbx SC 32, like the Ashly ne24.24M, basically provide input blocks with some processing options, a matrix router and output blocks with some processing options.  That can be quite different than the completely open processing, routing and mixing architecture some of the other options noted employ.  These units may work fine for your application but you would probably want to be sure that whatever you select provides the internal routing, processing, mixing, control, monitoring, etc. that you potentially need or desire.

If you have anything other than analog mic or line level inputs and outputs that could also affect the potential options.  For example, needing to support AES digital inputs and/or outputs could eliminate many products.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »

I've found that moving the tri-amped LCR PA to it's own processor is much more economical than trying to find a large-frame solution.
Use an Ashly for your primary routing matrix then send only 3 outputs from it to another unit (or multiple units) doing proper crossover and alignment for the speakers.  

(I prefer to use the speaker manufacturers DSP for this anyways as you don't have to try to translate DSP settings from their recommended processor to your 3rd party routing matrix)

The only caveat is the lack of aes/ebu digital capability out of the ashly, I do like to make that between-processor link digital.

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »

I also often use the approach of a 'system' processor and separate 'speaker' processors.  Another advantage in some applications is that you can then give access to the 'system' processor so users can adjust overall EQ, relative levels, etc. without giving access to the 'speaker' processing that incorporates the speaker and array processing and limiting.

If it is a digital console then I also agree that trying to stay digital through the processing is desirable to avoid the additional A/D and D/A conversion that would be required at the DSP devices for analog signals.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Glennn Carolan

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:41 AM »

The existing processing is an 11+ year old peavey media matrix 48 in/outs.  

As far as speaker brand specific all of the speakers are EAW, so EAW processing, or confidence in Ashly as well.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.