ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help using Effects on my 01v96 v2  (Read 35369 times)

Rich Vogel

Help using Effects on my 01v96 v2
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »

Hello, first post here, greetings.

I just bought a Yamaha 01v96 v2 Mixer and I'm having some trouble understanding the internal effects, and how to configure things to get them to work.

I have an instrument connected to channel one, and the channel is selected. I hit the effect button on the 'Display Access' portion of the mixer, and that's where I'm lost. I've looked at the manual, tried out the examples in the Using Effects Processors via Aux Sends, and Inserting the Internal Effects into Channels but I'm not getting it, or not getting it to work.

Everything I've tried either permanently makes the track silent, or does nothing. I think the problem here is I'm very new to this kind of mixer, and not having a grasp on the whole in/out and aux situation.

Looking for some assistance from those who do understand, who might be able to break it down into some clearer english for me. I basically just want to apply an internal effect to an input audio channel. I really thought it would be a lot easier than this, most of the other functions seem to be straight forward for me to use and understand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim McCulloch

Re: Help using Effects on my 01v96 v2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

Two things:

Go to your user profile and change you alias to your real name or you'll get deleted.  It's the way things work here...

Next, did you read the manual?
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
Re: Help using Effects on my 01v96 v2 Setting up Effects in 01v96
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

Are you trying to insert an effect into a channel or are you trying to setup an effect engine that will effect several channels?

The effects system in the yamaha has many different setups.
The first one being you have 2 or 4 effects processors available depending on what sampling rate you are running your board at. If your set to 44.1 or 48khz you have 4 effects processors.
If your board is set to 88 or 196khz then you only have 2 processors available.

I will cover 1 effect engine or processor if you will.

A new 01v96 has Aux 1-4 patched to effects processors 1-4 in default mode. It also has Aux 1-4 patched to the Omni outs as well. If your using the Omni outs for your monitors will want to Patch the Auxs 5-8 to your omni outs. To check things.

First on the left hand side of the board Under "Display Access push the "patch button". Push the < button under your screen until the IN Patch tab can be seen. Push F1 to get to the view.
Your Stereo Input section close to the bottom should say "FX1-L FX1-R" "FX2-L-FX2R" "FX3L-FX3R" "FX4L-FX4R" If it does not say that enter these in.

Now Select F3 under your screen and you will see 2 or 4 effects processors. This screen is used to send you Aux channels or ? to your effects engines. Factory default is
Aux 1 to in 1.
Aux 1 to in 2. For effects 1

Aux 2 to in 1.
Aux 2 to in 2. For effects 2

Aux 3 to in 1.
Aux 3 to in 2. For effects 3

Aux 4 to in 1.
Aux 4 to in 2. For effects 4

This assigns auxs 1-4 to the 4 effects processors. Select these if you want the effects processors to effect more than one channel. You will decide which channels later here.....

The outputs should be.

Effect 1 - LOut 1 with ST/ 1L
          ROut 2 with ST/ 1R

Effect 2 - LOut 1 with ST/ 1L
          LOut 2 with St/ 2R

The same for the other 2 processors.

Next hit your > arrow below your screen and select F3. You want to be in your OMNI OUT section in the bottom of the screen. You would want to select Aux 5 under 1. Aux 6 under 2. Aux 7 under 3 and Aux 8 under 4. This assigns Aux's 5-8 to go out the 1/4 inch omni outs.

Now home work time.
Select Aux 1 in your fader mode section. Look in the Upper right hand corner. You will see 4 circles. The circles have a line from the center out at a location. They all should be at about the 8 o'clock spot on a clocks that has hands. If any are set higher than that look at your board just above the user defined keys. You will see 2 knobs and just above them it says Stereo in Button. Pushing this button lights up 1-2 or 3-4. When 1-2 is lit and you turn knob 1 the circle in your Aux screen will turn up or down. When 3-4 are lit you can control circles 3-4. This Assigns effects BACK into the AUX. BECAUSE Auxs (1-4) are feeding the effects processors its important not to have any of these circles turned up at all!!!. Feed back in the processor will occur. For now go through ALL 8 Aux sends and make sure none of the 4 circles in the upper right hand corner are turned up. When done read on.

Now its time to get some effects going!
First select MASTER in your Layer section. The first 4 faders are the master level for all the sends going into your effects processors. Put them All at +5. Faders almost to the top. Make sure the on button is lit up on these channels. The Faders 5-8 are your masters for Omni outs.

Now in your Layer section select 1-16. Have your stereo fader up and have channel 1 so your getting a dry signal to your speakers or headphones. We are only going to cover 1 effect processor but the rest is more of the same.
Go over to your ST IN button and push it until your 1-2 light is lit. Again on your 1-16 layer Turn ST IN 1 knob and watch the small circle in the upper right hand corner. It is speed dependant, give it a fast turn and it will turn up quicker. When it reached EXACTLY 3 0'clock the circle will turn BLACK. It takes some tweeking and getting used to doing it the first few times but it will do it. This is unity gain return putting the effects out your stereo L/R outs.

Now in your Display Access section select EFFECT button. Move the < or > arrow just below your screen untill you EX1 LIB can be seen. Push F1 to bring the tab up. The RECALL box should be flashing. If not use your up/down buttons beside your spinner knob to have it flashing. Now spin your knob or use your Up/Down buttons beside it to select No.29. A nice chorus/reverb. Push enter to select it. If you get a conformation box use your L/R buttons to select Yes. When selected it should say Rev+Chorus in the upper left hand side of the screen. Push your Home button and it should take you back to channel 1 on layer 1 with your stereo fader.

Now effects to this channel!
Push Aux 1 . On the Left hand side just below the 4 circles in your screen you want Variable and POST selected or Blacked out. This puts your effects send post fade. Use your UP/Down Left/Right keys to get the flashing indicator in these boxes to select them by using the Enter button if they are not.

"EDIT" Don't forget to select Post Fade in the 2-4 auxs as well if your using these auxs for effects sends.

Select F1 under your screen to see your send levels.

Now talk into your microphone. Start turning up fader 1. If you did everything right you will now start to hear a nice reverb+chorus in your main mix from channel 1. If not go through this again.

Remember your EFFECTS SEND is POST fade. You have to have a dry signal up and going before you go to your Aux and turn up. This same setup goes for the other Aux sends. On you home layer if your using other effects don't forget to turn up your ST IN knobs for these Aux's and the Aux send for these 1-4 aux sends.

Aux 1 feeds processor 1
Aux 2 feeds processor 2
Aux 3 feeds processor 3
Aux 4 feeds processor 4

If you are doing layers remember to be on the right layer before you go to your Aux. You can't send channel 23 to Aux 1 while on layer 1!

Hint. The ST IN knobs give you an overall mix level once set if needed or a way to Mute the effects between songs etc. EDIT.. Of course make sure these are turned on!

This should give you a basic starting point and some knowledge to go from here.
Let us know how you make out.

Douglas R. Allen

Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Rich Vogel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »

Douglas - thank you very much! Very in depth, I'm using effects now and your detailed answer is very appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I understand a lot more about the Aux channels and routing now, this is new to me.

Sometimes there are parts in equipment manuals that are not very clear, I think the problem (which maybe there really isn't in this case) is this mixer allows some really flexible effects routing with several possibilities, and not just "Select track, select effect". It's just a matter of learning the terminology, and now I understand it a lot better.

Thanks again.

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »

Rich Vogel wrote on Sun, 17 October 2010 17:12

Douglas - thank you very much! Very in depth, I'm using effects now and your detailed answer is very appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I understand a lot more about the Aux channels and routing now, this is new to me.

Sometimes there are parts in equipment manuals that are not very clear, I think the problem (which maybe there really isn't in this case) is this mixer allows some really flexible effects routing with several possibilities, and not just "Select track, select effect". It's just a matter of learning the terminology, and now I understand it a lot better.

Thanks again.

Rich

Glad you have things up and running. The LAB is a great place for information. I always try to give back when ever I can. Stay around and look at the other posts. You may have information to share with others as well.

The 01v96 is a great "swiss army knife" type of small format digital mixer. There is so much you can do with it. Effects can be inserted,effects edited,master fader view used for eq changes and compression etc. Store scenes and store In Patch and Out libraries as you go for easy recall.

Again welcome to the LAB.

Douglas R. Allen

Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »

Rich Vogel wrote on Sun, 17 October 2010 17:12

Thanks again.

Douglas, that was a detailed and friendly explanation that will help many others in the future I am sure.  Digital mixers (and their manuals!) needlessly scare away a lot of people.

For a few people I've tried to teach, having Studio Manager open and running makes some things a lot easier to understand, patch editing in particular.

Another cool feature that I'm embarrassed to not have figured out earlier is to disable 'layer select' from within the system setup dialog.  This lets you control the different layers separately (Ie; 17-32 in Studio Manager ).  

The possibilities are are really endless, and Studio Manager can help you get a grasp of what can be done.  Just don't let it become a crutch.  The day you forget your laptop you'll be happy you can get around quickly without a mouse.

I should probably be doing something else right now....

Rich Vogel

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34:06 PM »

That's great, I'll keep that info in mind as well. Appreciate all the help. I actually searched for a way to cancel my forum membership after reading Tim's reply, but glad I stuck around. I did post this to the LAB Lounge which is titled "LAB Lite" - a place for weekend warriors, small sound company operators, bands running their own PA and newbies." As the description on the main board reads, I am a newbie, to this forum and this mixer. I actually found this forum from a Google search that brought some related answer results. Thanks again for the help.

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »

Rich Vogel wrote on Sun, 17 October 2010 22:34

I actually found this forum from a Google search that brought some related answer results. Thanks again for the help.

If you stick around a little longer you'll see that Tim contributes immensely to the forum.  There is always a little abrasion with new forum members who miss a rule or two, especially as some of them ask a question or two and then move along, never to be seen again.

There is a sentiment among some of the regulars here that they are sometimes treated as knowledge banks.  You'll find that a lot of questions can be answered by a composite of previous threads.  YES, it takes some time, but you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you learn along the way.

Use google to search instead of the built in feature:

Ie google " 01v96 FX site:srforums.prosoundweb.com " (Without the " )

There's lots to learn!

Edit:

From following my own search advice I found the thread where Ivan's user friendly manual is posted.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/66361/0

This is a great reference.

I should probably be doing something else right now....

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:26 AM »

Despite what you might think, we don't eat our own young here.

That said, many posts on the forums, particularly the Lounge, would be answered by a good reading of the user manuals and support documents available from manufacturers.  Some, like Yamaha's, are about as dry as they can be and seem to be organized in ways only Pocket Protector Engineers can relate too... but the info is still in there.

Some general advice about the 01v and similar Yammy mixers: don't assume that *anything* is automatically routed simply because it was *selected*.  If you've gotten some time behind a "large frame" analog desk, you know that you can patch channel inserts but not have them in the loop until you press the "insert" button on the channel strip.  Most of the Yamaha digital mixers emulate this concept (the M7 automatically does the inserts...) but on a screen, rather than a physical button.  Likewise the way the signals are routed from AUX or BUS and "patched" to the EFX, and then the output patched to a particular knob or fader.  It's all analogous to analog, just don't tell anybody! Douglas wrote a very thorough walk through.  He'll get a gold star on his report card for today. Very Happy

More general advice at PSW forums... we're a community, not a wiki.  The Classic LAB (Live Audio Board) was originally founded to be a place for industry professionals to exchange ideas, concepts and information along with a bit of social networking and general fun.  It was meant to be a 'peer hangout'.  Eventually the quality of content attracted less experienced participants, a bunch of non-audio discussions and generally diluted the s/n of the Classic LAB.  The Lounge, Lighting, Pro AV and Marketplace forums were set up, and the Basement came along a bit after them.  Some of the participants you'll meet here are in the same situations you're in, others are the folks that design, build and market the gear you see on tour or find in studios.  We get the eyeballs of some of the biggest names in live audio, and many who's employers permit it, participate when appropriate.  Some of the folks here are out on tour (or have been) with Bands You've Heard Of.  We have rocket scientists, acousticians, musicians, IT professionals, RF engineers, electrical engineers and a few cranky old guys that have been doing audio since tubes warmed the house.

Oh, and the thing about real first/last names is required by the site owner for the Live forums.  It keeps things a bit more level when one's real name is attached to a post.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »

I hate it when the voice of reason and reality comes along.  It's more fun to eat the younguns......   Laughing
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.