ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas on Lab 12 MkII vs. Titanic 12 MKIII with Lab 12 folded cabinet...  (Read 10397 times)

Jason Voyles

I am in the process of epoxying together the first of 4 lab 12's. I was pricing out and about to order the subwoofers when I saw something interesting.

I wanted to get a take on the “lab 12 MKII” vs. the Dayton “Titanic MKIII” subwoofers. They look somewhat equivalent, and I should be able to squeeze them into the cabinet. The Titanic looks like it would give you a lower frequency response, but I am not sure about the spec's. I think it would put some ware on the driver in a lab12 cabinet, limiting how much you could push it.

Could someone a bit more knowledgeable take a look and comment accordingly? (both are on parts express website)

Thanks..

Silas Pradetto

Re: Ideas on Lab 12 MkII vs. Titanic 12 MKIII with Lab 12 folded cabinet...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

I don't even have to look at it to tell you that you should be using the LAB12 driver. The driver was specifically designed for this box and no other driver is going to work as well.

A different driver is NOT going to make the box go lower. More boxes coupling will do that, limited ultimately by the horn length.

Art Welter

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »

Jason Voyles wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 14:52

I am in the process of epoxying together the first of 4 lab 12's. I was pricing out and about to order the subwoofers when I saw something interesting.

I wanted to get a take on the “lab 12 MKII” vs. the Dayton “Titanic MKIII” subwoofers. They look somewhat equivalent, and I should be able to squeeze them into the cabinet. The Titanic looks like it would give you a lower frequency response, but I am not sure about the spec's. I think it would put some ware on the driver in a lab12 cabinet, limiting how much you could push it.

Could someone a bit more knowledgeable take a look and comment accordingly? (both are on parts express website)

Thanks..

It has more Xmax, which is good, but less Bl, which is bad.
Also has a lower impedance, good if you want to get more power out of an amp, bad if the amp does not like a 2 ohm load.

I would not dismiss it without trying it, but doubt it would be an improvement.

John Halliburton

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »

Quote:

I am in the process of epoxying together the first of 4 lab 12's.

Why?  Regular wood glue is more than good enough.  About the only area you'd want to consider epoxy or some adhesive with filling capacity is the baffle area with the compound mitered pieces that form the initial part of the flare-and only if you're woodworking skills didn't produce a tight fitting set of pieces.

So much extra work and mess for nothing.

Best regards,

John

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »

John Halliburton wrote on Sat, 16 October 2010 08:51

Quote:

Why?  Regular wood glue is more than good enough.  About the only area you'd want to consider epoxy or some adhesive with filling capacity is the baffle area with the compound mitered pieces that form the initial part of the flare-and only if you're woodworking skills didn't produce a tight fitting set of pieces.

Best regards,

John

PL Premium is a good choice as it is super strong-fills gaps-and has a slight expanding characteristic.

More expensive than regular wood glue-but MUCH less expensive and less hassle and much easier to apply than epoxy.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Chuck Harrigan

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 16 October 2010 09:43

Quote:

Best regards,

John

PL Premium is a good choice as it is super strong-fills gaps-and has a slight expanding characteristic.

More expensive than regular wood glue-but MUCH less expensive and less hassle and much easier to apply than epoxy.

+1

This is what I use when building speaker cabinets
There is no electronic solution to a personnel problem.

-Andy Peters

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »

Chuck Harrigan wrote on Fri, 29 October 2010 20:49

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 16 October 2010 09:43

Quote:

Best regards,

John

+1

This is what I use when building speaker cabinets

+2

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »

PL Premium for me too!
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Duane Silveira

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

Keep in mind that you really shouldnt have any gaps to fill. If you do, then you have measured/cut incorectly. Take the extra time to get the parts fitting just right, if they arent..then do them over again!! Its worth it in the end knowing you have done it right and can be proud of it. Smile

Jeff Robinson

• http://www.geocities.com/loudspeakerguru
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

Jason Voyles wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 15:52

Thanks..

Jason

If you want a drop-in alternate, look at the Quattro QT305-4.

The Titanic's Qms is too low. Per Tom Danley you need for the Qms to be >9. The Vas and Qes are pretty close. Xmax is respectable at 10MM. About $40 less, stamped frame and lower power handling are the trade offs for the lower cost.

HTH

Jeff Robinson
Hail to thee, blithe Spirit!
Bird thou never wert
That from Heaven, or near it
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.