Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting FUD Forum Archive

Black lights

(1/3) > >>

Darrel Hayes:
I need a few blacklights for a small stage show.  Typically, I use 6 Floorbars w/ Blacklight fluorescents.  But, I have a request for 2 stand-mounted blacklights from the front.  I was considering the purchase of 2 American DJ Cannon Blacklight 400-watt fixtures.  I see that Chauvet makes a DMX LED Shadow Blacklight fixture.  Does anyone have experience with these units?  Total budget for 2 lights is approximately $300-$400.  Thanks in advance.

Silas Pradetto:
You need these, obviously.

(Don't stand within 10 feet, you'll get sunburn)

Thomas Bishop:
Are you looking to purchase or rent?  I guess that depends on how long the show runs, right?  If you're renting the Wildfires are nice.  I rented a pair to light a gymnasium and they did the job.  Before I decided on renting I was looking at buying the ADJ UV Canons but since I would only be using them once a year or so renting was the better option.  There are also some LED options out there.  If you need DMX control and instant on these are the only option, otherwise you'll have to wait a few minutes for the blacklight to heat up.  I put mine on a relay so I could at least control the on/off via DMX, just be careful not to dim it.

James Feenstra:
they sell UV filters for par 64s...

i've used them before for some shows, although black lights to me have no place in rock and roll lol

John Strzalkowski:
I use the ADJ UV Cannons. Just picked up another pair for this coming halloween week. Love the things, they put out some massive black light. 2 of them covered a rather large dance area that we were going for. Hung them about 20ft in the air to get ridiculous coverage.

Good:
Large area coverage from one point
"Brighter" output than most other fixtures / cost
Lamp costs are the same as cheaper fixtures
Isn't a flourescent tube

Bad:
Heavy (30+ lbs), so a good rig point is needed.
Less versatile (needs more room to fill out, whereas multiple less powerful fixtures can be evenly spaced)
Lamp must be special ordered most of the time, tubes can be found at any hardware store.
takes about 10 minutes to become fully "charged"

Old rumor that was told to me was that these mercury vapor lamps were used to light the white stripes on the runway for airplanes to see at night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version