ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help on new sound system  (Read 4068 times)

Jack Brown

Need help on new sound system
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »

Hello everyone,

have to say, very informative forum here. I'm a newbie to the pro audio world and on top of that this is my very first posting ever, in a forum - so before anyone has a temper tantrum, think of your first time...

In any case, I hope some of you can share your views/experience with me as I will be investing in a sound system still this year which will be used in a room that is about 20 metres x 5 metres (65 feet x 16 feet).

This is the system I have in mind:-

2 x   JBL AM5212/64
1 x   CROWN XTI 2000 (stereo)

1 x   JBL ASB6128V
1 x   CROWN XTI 2000 (bridged)

1 x   PIONEER DJM 700

1 x   FURMAN PL-8 C E

I think/hope the system is a good setup but, I do have a couple of questions:-

1. not being the expert - I assume the 60x40 coverage version of the AM5212 is the best option for the room size?

2. I'm a little bit worried because I can't listen to the jbl's before buying them - more specifically, I see loads of reviews/discussions on the SRX or MRX series but, nothing on the above mentioned AE Application Engineering series. Why is that?

3. the AM5212 loudspeakers use the same drivers as the MRX range and yet the AM speakers are quite a bit more expensive...why? should I just go with the MRX range? What is the difference between the two (apart from the extended frequency range on the AM5212 speakers)? Essentially they should sound the same? Or should I go with the SRX range?

4. is JBL being very accurate when they give their figures for frequency response?? Or do they use sound measurement tricks? When comparing to all the others such as EAW, EV, Peavey etc, no other speakers come close in terms of frequency range +/- 3db..

5. will the furman really make a difference? If so, is one enough or should I be using two (one per amplifier)?

Any other thoughts anyone?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
h

TJ (Tom) Cornish

Re: Need help on new sound system
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »

The Furman is an expensive power strip.  It won't provide any worthwhile protection to your gear, so unless the rack mount form factor is the reason you are buying that piece, you can skip it.  

Amps don't really need protection - they are very robust devices, and short of plugging in to the wrong voltage or lightning, aren't likely to be damaged by power spikes.

The AE speakers are designed for installation and have flypoints and such.  They are popular in that world.  You may get more feedback on those speakers in the installation forum here - the LAB tends to deal with more portable audio.

Usual questions apply - what are you trying to do?  Levels, style of music, etc.  What is your budget?  Why have you settled on these pieces of gear?

Jack Brown

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

TJ - thnks for your quick response

well noted on the furman... what am I trying to do? I want a loud/powerfull system for parties. Music will be mainly different styles of house (deep, progressive etc..)
- budget around usd 11-12k / reason for this gear simple: all based on the specifications...

Bruce Gering

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »

I would look into a powered system. QSC KW comes to mind.
Sometimes I wish I had a clone of myself so I could enjoy life while my clone worked for me. Thing is, my clone would just keep the money, or worse yet, I would be working while he enjoyed my life!

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:23 AM »

As far as the JBL AE speakers they are more a Contractor oriented speaker, you typically find them used in installed systems and not sold via MI or online retailers.

And that leads into the kinds of questions others may have.  Is this an installed system or a portable system?  How do you envision mounting the speakers?  Is the room 20m deep and 5m wide or 5m deep and 20m wide?  What is the ceiling height?  Is the system used solely for DJ applications?

As far as published specs, JBL has their own test facilities while many other manufacturers use third-party services such as those offered by Pat Brown or Ron Sauro.  JBL tests to the standards but like any manufacturer you often have to read the details of the specs and look beyond single numbers to get a more accurate picture.  If you look at the AM5212/64 product data here, http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3 &docid=1438, you might note that the frequency response listed is based on half space conditions, basically the speaker sitting on a concrete floor.  If you look on the second page of the AM5212/64 information you see a response chart that shows how that half space condition affects the low frequency response, dropping it from probably 130-150Hz to the stated 43Hz.  That effect would apply to most speakers but whether one is looking at half space or whole space numbers can significantly affect what is published.  There is nothing underhanded or improper in such presentation, the information is all there but one has to be careful in how it is interpreted.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Jack Brown

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:25 AM »

Brad,

Thanks your advice - and to answer your questions:-

installed system
speakers either flown or mounted on specially constructed platforms
room is 20 deep by 5 wide
ceiling height slightly xs 4 metres
system will be used solely for djing/house parties

and thnks for the tip on speaker measurements which I was unaware of - since the speakers will be used in a room as stated above and positioned close to walls, I assume the half-space measurements would be the ones to look at...

I was also considering whether or not to get the older AM6212 version which is more powerful / using different drivers - but then I will also have to go for the xti 4000s making the install more expensive.. all in all, I think for the room size the AM5212s are powerfull enough and taking into account the new design (AM5212) and updated/newer drivers which probably operate more efficiently I think they would do the job sufficiently..

Has anyone actually listened to the AM5212s?? Any opinions on the sound? What about the horn-loaded ASB6128V?

Look forward to hearing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.