ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stand alone intercom  (Read 5087 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Stand alone intercom
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »

When to an arena this morning to check an old intercom system. They want it replaced with something new. This is a little outside of my usual install experience so I am here looking for suggestions.
They need communication between 3 areas, on handsets, and with some sort of a call button. That's it. There is currently dedicated phone line run between all 3 areas. It does not have to be tied into any other system (paging or otherwise). It does have to be economical...of course.
What do you guys use in such instances?
Thanks,
BJ

Charlie Zureki

Re: Stand alone intercom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 09:32

When to an arena this morning to check an old intercom system. They want it replaced with something new. This is a little outside of my usual install experience so I am here looking for suggestions.
They need communication between 3 areas, on handsets, and with some sort of a call button. That's it. There is currently dedicated phone line run between all 3 areas. It does not have to be tied into any other system (paging or otherwise). It does have to be economical...of course.
What do you guys use in such instances?
Thanks,
BJ

There are many brand-name phone systems that have Intercom incorporated in the design.  They are programmable.

Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

I was going to suggest that but the OP made it sound like there was a stand alone 3 station intercom. However he did mention "phone wiring". Is the wiring only between the three locations or is there some type of phone system in the building which this wiring could be connected to? Then provide three basic phones configured for intercom only. That would be a very economical solution.

-Hal

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

The wire is not attached to any phone system. You're right in the assumption that this would be a "stand alone" system.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
BJ

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 20:04

The wire is not attached to any phone system. You're right in the assumption that this would be a "stand alone" system.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
BJ

Then the next question is, do they need a party line like clearcom where "call" lights up everywhere and whoever picks up can talk to you, or do you need to be able to call a specific one of the other two stations?
to have addressable calling you'll either need more wires than the usual telephone setup, or a central system that can make each set addressable.

Jason

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 03:24:54 AM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 19:04

Suggestions?
Thanks,
BJ

Bradford,

Hal and I both suggested that you purchase a few office phones that have the built-in intercom/paging capabilities.
 Many companies manufacture these devices, just use the existing wire that's there.  You don't need to connect these to the phone lines, just the wire that you said was already run.

What other suggestions are you looking for?

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 03:24

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 19:04

Suggestions?
Thanks,
BJ

Bradford,

Hal and I both suggested that you purchase a few office phones that have the built-in intercom/paging capabilities.
 Many companies manufacture these devices, just use the existing wire that's there.  You don't need to connect these to the phone lines, just the wire that you said was already run.

What other suggestions are you looking for?

Hammer

Ah, I read that as meaning it would need to be hooked up to an existing phone system.
So, if using 3 of these office phones as you suggest, could phone 1 call phone 2, and phone 3 call phone 1 etc? They don't need a "live" phone line? They just get attached through regular phone cable? Sounds easy enough. Any suggestions on phones or any to avoid?
Thanks,
BJ

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:54 AM »

Sure, all office systems have intercom. The easiest way would be the stand-alone phones that need no control unit but they are consumer stuff and I have no idea what to recommend. Check out Staples, Best Buy, etc. Most of these, being consumer, are not built to take much abuse. I also kinda think that some may not work without at least one phone line and of course you won't find that out until after you try to make it work.

What I would do (being an Avaya dealer) is use a Partner ACS control unit. These can be had used or refurbed. The Partner system can use any standard single line phones. Program it for intercom only on those extensions and you are good to go. I would suggest some "old style" 2500 series wall phones that will take some abuse but anything will do. The thing with any system run by a control unit is that each phone has to have it's wiring home run to the control unit. I don't know how your wiring is installed but I would think at the least, locating the control unit at the center of the daisy chain (if that's what it is) would work.

-Hal  

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 00:17

Sure, all office systems have intercom. The easiest way would be the stand-alone phones that need no control unit but they are consumer stuff and I have no idea what to recommend. Check out Staples, Best Buy, etc. Most of these, being consumer, are not built to take much abuse. I also kinda think that some may not work without at least one phone line and of course you won't find that out until after you try to make it work.

What I would do (being an Avaya dealer) is use a Partner ACS control unit. These can be had used or refurbed. The Partner system can use any standard single line phones. Program it for intercom only on those extensions and you are good to go. I would suggest some "old style" 2500 series wall phones that will take some abuse but anything will do. The thing with any system run by a control unit is that each phone has to have it's wiring home run to the control unit. I don't know how your wiring is installed but I would think at the least, locating the control unit at the center of the daisy chain (if that's what it is) would work.

-Hal  

OK, thanks for the info.
Any experience with AIPhone?

BJ

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:16:46 PM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 10:27

OK, thanks for the info.
Any experience with AIPhone?

BJ

I was just going to suggest Aiphone. I've installed a few of their basic things for various purposes in the past. It was always easy to put in and it did what it advertised with no need to get out a computer and program it. The stuff I used didn't have a lot of features nor was it complicated to operate.

Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »

Aiphone products are used quite often in churches, etc. for a private intercom system with phone-type handsets. They have tone and light signaling options. System is powered by a 24vdc power supply. Check their website for cable requirements. I seem to remember it may use 3 or 4 conductors plus one conductor for each station or something like that.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.