ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie HD1531 & HD1801  (Read 62695 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Mackie HD1531 & HD1801
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »

Just updating this thread:

The Mackie's have been going out on rentals over the past few weeks. These are for school events, DJ's, church events, or whatever they need the speakers for. I've rented the tops out 6 times now, and they're still going strong. Nothing but positive comments from people renting them. They are going out with a small mixer, cables, stands and a few mics. No external processing or anything. No blown components, and no failures at all. I have no idea what kind of use they're seeing on the rentals, but needless to say, I've had 0 issues so far.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »

Like Evan, I have had no issues other than the need to reseat some connectors on one amp module following a rough ride during shipping.

I would expect blown speakers to be an anomaly.

I am extremely pleased with their performance.

Phil Lewandowski

Re: Mackie HD1531 & HD1801 - Reliability Data
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »

Hey,

Just wanted to see if there are any dealers out there that would be able to share what percentage of Mackie HD cabs they have actually found to have reliability  issues for one reason or another.

There have been lots of reports of multiple reliability issues with HD cabs, but then also reports of dealers that the percentage has still been under 3% which they said was about the average for speaker cabs.

So just want to make sure this issue wouldn't get blown out of proportion if it was really just a case of a couple bad ones to the same people, and a factor of the large number of these cabs that are being sold.

Thanks Much,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Caleb Dick

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »

3% failure rate is really high.
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 26 November 2010 23:48

I would believe it and it does seem high. I remember reading it from one of the major dealers replying about the Mackie HD series saying it was finding about 2% of the cabs were being reported as having an issue.  And went on to say that 3% was about the average.

But I would have to agree that that seems a bit high.

Thanks,
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Jared Chrysostom

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 03:52:45 AM »

When you factor in all of the possible causes of failure - the largest being abuse/misuse by the user - 3 failures in every 100 cabs is reasonable, isn't it?

Caleb Dick

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »

Jared Chrysostom wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 00:52

When you factor in all of the possible causes of failure - the largest being abuse/misuse by the user - 3 failures in every 100 cabs is reasonable, isn't it?

Any speaker/sub, abused sufficiently, will fail.  I should have clarified - 3% failure under normal, non-abusive use is very high.  
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Jack Herlong

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Tue, 26 October 2010 21:37

I have heard that there have been a couple reports of failures in the HD series already. Does anyone know of these reports and if they are true what has been failing?

We have two of the HD1521's and have experienced failures on both.  The first one blew an amp module.  Mackie refunded about 90% of the purchase price so we could buy another one ASAP.  They didn't have any it stock! Yes, they were under warranty and yes that's a weird way of doing things.  They belong to my drummer and he did all of the talking with Mackie.  Whatever!

The second one just failed at this Saturday's gig.  Sounds like either the tweeter is gone, or the tweeter amp has failed.  I will know more on this as soon as the repair process begins.

We are not an exsessively loud band and do not abuse our equipment.  These speakers have seen 30-40 gigs max.

That being said, these have been excellent sounding speakers.  I have been running them over LS608's and they seem to be a fine combination.  I really hate that these failures have happened from that standpoint, because I have been totally surprised by their sound quality.  I do not trust them now, however.  Hopefully, the repairs will solve the problem.

Jack Herlong

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »

A follow-up to my post above.

Failure #2 on the HD1521's turned out to be a blown high frequency driver diaphragm.  Repaired in less than 30 minutes at the local shop under warranty.

I guess this could have been operator error, but I don't think it was.  We do not play overly loud and I'm pretty dilligent in setting the board level.

That being said, I'm willing to give the Mackies a pass on this one.

Again, these are great sounding speakers at their price point IMO.

I'll report back after several gigs and let everyone know how they are holding up.

George Friedman-Jimenez

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Evan and others:
Can anyone compare your impressions of the sound quality of the Mackie HD1221 and the EV QRX112? Evan I know you have had QRX212s but I don't know about 112s. My main use for either is for vocals and between-sets dj'ing in small venues with 50-200 people. The QRX112s I have now sound great but weigh a little more than I like to carry up and down my basement stairs. I don't use a sub now but plan to get one soon for the between-sets dj'ing. Thanks in advance.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.