ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC KW or JBL PRX?  (Read 63184 times)

Loren Jones

Re: QSC KW or JBL PRX? New Yamaha DSR Series 1300W !
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 03:58:30 pm »

That thread doesn't compare the PRX635 asked about by the OP.  It also doesn't include the Mackie hd1531.  See thread here http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/48190/0/

Anyway, I haven't heard or used any of these but am hoping my church will get a pair of one of these powered three ways for our youth services.  The JBL is significantly lighter (by nearly 30%).  If overall output and other features are fairly similar then the weight (in my opinion/application) would be the second most important factor behind sound quality when used for the intended application.

Good luck with your purchase.

Loren Jones

edit: added (in my opinion/application)
Loren Jones

Fernando Lopez

• http://www.runaway69.com
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »

Loren Jones wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 15:58

That thread doesn't compare the PRX635 asked about by the OP.  It also doesn't include the Mackie hd1531.  See thread here http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/48190/0/

Anyway, I haven't heard or used any of these but am hoping my church will get a pair of one of these powered three ways for our youth services.  The JBL is significantly lighter (by nearly 30%).  If overall output and other features are fairly similar then the weight (in my opinion/application) would be the second most important factor behind sound quality when used for the intended application.

Good luck with your purchase.

Loren Jones

edit: added (in my opinion/application)

He asked about the KW and the PRX635, I am just pointing out a recent comparison made with the KW153 because there aren't many reviews out yet.

Also why the Mackie he did not even ask about it?
You can never be too rich or too thin.........or have enough bass!!!

Loren Jones

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »

Sorry if my tone seemed contrary.  I just though it was perhaps a little premature to suggest that a thread that mentioned only one of the two speakers in question should "make the KW153 an easy choice".  Not saying the KW153 isn't a good or even great speaker, but the thread in question didn't have any way to suggest which of the two would be a better choice.  That thread clearly had a fairly positive opinion of the KW153.

As for the HD1531, you are right he didn't ask about it, but in the around $1000 per box powered 3 way category the Mackie, QSC and JBL offerings seem like the main contenders (and possibly the Yamaha just mentioned in this thread).  The Mackie hadn't been mentioned so I thought I would link the thread.  There is the Yorkville U15P but it costs a little more and has only 60 degree dispersion so may not cover some of the same venues with one per side that the other boxes mentioned might cover better.

Take care,
Loren Jones
Loren Jones

Chuck Simon

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:11 am »

I just used a pair of PRX618X-XLF for the first time last weekend to add some more bottom end for an outdoor gig.  They sounded just like a properly powered 18 inch JBL should sound and have a great power to weight ratio.  I will be getting at least 2 more.

Joe Matracia

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21:30 am »

Thanks to all - really good info/discussion. Still on the fence with the QSC/JBL.

Hadn't really considered the Mackie as I continue to hear not so good things about them...although the HD stuff certainly seemed in the ballpark specs/dollar-wise.

I spoke with someone at Sweetwater who had heard QSC/JBL side by side. His observation was the QSC's sounded more 'studio-y' and the JBLs were more 'grainy/live music-like'. He liked both. But said he'd probably prefer the QSC's...but that both would be good for my application.
Price-wise they are the same from them, so just a matter of pulling the trigger.

I appreciate all the input!

Billy Crabtree

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:24 am »

KW's are supposed to be made in the USA on the west coast. Where are the JBL's manufactured? I have HPR 153i's and love them (just a bit heavy and not pole mountable). Big JBL fan but my qsc 153's are sweeet. I need to replace some srm 450s and was looking at the jbl's. Great thread, saved me from having to start one. I am considering selling my hpr's and buying the kw's because they are made in the US.

Joe Matracia

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:50:04 am »

I also just noticed an 'free 6year warranty' on the site. Called just to check...and all you have to do is go online to extend the factory standard 3yr to 6yr...hummm...finding harder not to like the QSC stuff

Jon Smith

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 11:52:33 am »

Joe Matracia wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 08:21

Thanks to all - really good info/discussion. Still on the fence with the QSC/JBL.

Hadn't really considered the Mackie as I continue to hear not so good things about them...although the HD stuff certainly seemed in the ballpark specs/dollar-wise.

I spoke with someone at Sweetwater who had heard QSC/JBL side by side. His observation was the QSC's sounded more 'studio-y' and the JBLs were more 'grainy/live music-like'. He liked both. But said he'd probably prefer the QSC's...but that both would be good for my application.
Price-wise they are the same from them, so just a matter of pulling the trigger.

I appreciate all the input!

I really wish I could hear the QSC to give a fair comparison. For those if us who work with Bluegrass and Folk Artists, we know how critical they can be about sound. The comments I heard about the PRX 615's & 612's was for their size, they were the clearest most natural sounding speakers they had heard in a long time.

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!

Chuck Simon

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »

"Where are the JBL's manufactured?"

Mexico.  I can't say that I am thrilled about that, but it has allowed JBL to keep the cost competitive for the 600 series.  Mine does have the 2268 speaker which I assume is USA made.

Scott Wagner

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:48 pm »

My only question with the JBLs: do they still have the undefeatable limiters that the PRX500s had?  If they do, then my vote is for the KWs.  If not, it's a toss up (although the PRXs are lighter).

Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.