ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XTI 4000 or what?  (Read 7384 times)

tracy garner

Re: XTI 4000 or what?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »

I'm probably not explaining very well. The XTI 4000s were in a road case full of amps that tipped. There was another rack on top that made the whole thing top heavy I guess (although it hadn't tipped in 6 years). The lid wasn't on the front yet. This guy tipped the whoe stack somewhow that had 2 IT 8000 and 3 XTI 4000 in it. Another rack above it had EQs and power supply in it that also fell but did zero damage.

The top 2 XTI units in the bottom rack took a dump square into the side of a tool box. Overall I lost both displays and three attenuators. The one XTI front panel got pushed in maybe 2 inches. It was the perfect storm and I'm not sure if I can recreate that same accident ever again the way the amps took a beating.

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »

tracy garner wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 14:26

I'm probably not explaining very well. The XTI 4000s were in a road case full of amps that tipped. There was another rack on top that made the whole thing top heavy I guess (although it hadn't tipped in 6 years). The lid wasn't on the front yet. This guy tipped the whoe stack somewhow that had 2 IT 8000 and 3 XTI 4000 in it. Another rack above it had EQs and power supply in it that also fell but did zero damage.

The top 2 XTI units in the bottom rack took a dump square into the side of a tool box. Overall I lost both displays and three attenuators. The one XTI front panel got pushed in maybe 2 inches. It was the perfect storm and I'm not sure if I can recreate that same accident ever again the way the amps took a beating.

Ok - good stuff.  I didn't mean to imply that you were doing this improperly but this is the lounge and I've seen all sorts of atrocities for transporting amplifiers and other gear.  The word 'cabinet' had me thinking about something completely different than road case.  Most of my amp racks would be more likely to fall sideways than forwards or backwards, a benefit I wasn't aware of until this thread.  Best of luck with the repair and replacement and I agree it would be smart to try checking them over yourself before sending them off.
I should probably be doing something else right now....

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »

Have you take apart the XTi to see if any parts where damaged?  Have you reset the ribbon cable?
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

tracy garner

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

Haven't done an internal check yet but I'll have some time to fool with it after this weekend. I've been using a different set of amps for monitors over the last month.

Chances are I will get a new display board for both units and a new front panel for the one unit and call it a day. Heck maybe I'll even invest in a deeper rack or some better friends.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »

What...no pictures? You're gonna tease us with gear carnage and not show us....not cool man. Very Happy
-Chris
Arthur Audio

"It never ceases to amaze me how many sound guys think the measure of their work is solely defined by whether or not their subs are capable of sonically vaporizing squirrels from 20 meters."

tracy garner

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

Chris Gruber wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 12:12

What...no pictures? You're gonna tease us with gear carnage and not show us....not cool man. Very Happy

ok photos coming when I bring them back from the dead. Right now, those two are in storage convalescing on top of a Peavey 3020HT cabinet..

Jared Chrysostom

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »

Check out QSC's GX7 when they ship next month. A little more power than your XTi4000, less weight, and they should end up around $500-$600. Downsides - no 2ohm, DSP or bridging.

I've been using several GX5's for monitors and SOS work, for about a year now. They've been wonderful so far.

tracy garner

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »

GX-7 series is interesting as it meets the wattage requirement and its not a Class D amp. At the same time it has the QSC badge. The Crown XLS 2500 beats it on straight pro features using Class D power.

My next step will likely be to purchase a few used Crown IT 4000 for monitor use. The Xti served well but I pretty much drove them to their limits even aside from the physical damage. It will be nice to have racks of the same amp family even if its all from a previous generation.

I wish there had been an IT 2500 built to replace the old MA 2400.

Jared Chrysostom

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »

tracy garner wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 21:25

GX-7 series is interesting as it meets the wattage requirement and its not a Class D amp. At the same time it has the QSC badge. The Crown XLS 2500 beats it on straight pro features using Class D power.

No way, bro.

GX7's output is in another league. In fact, it's in the same league as a PLX3602 when 8ohm and 4ohm stereo use is what you need. The new XLS line has some nifty DSP and stuff, but the power is not comparable.

Of course, if you need to bridge, the GX line is completely useless.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.