ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC KW or JBL PRX?  (Read 73669 times)

Joe Matracia

QSC KW or JBL PRX?
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »

Anyone have any opinions?

QSC KW153 vs JBL PRX635

and

QSC KW181 vs JBL PRX618SXLF

I'd like to have 1 each per side for a rock/pop cover band doing 100 - 400 seat inside venues. An occasional outside festival also, but typically club work.

Thanks!

Jay Barracato

Re: QSC KW or JBL PRX?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »

I run HPR153's and 181's and would take them any day over the PRX's.

I do think they would be a little thin for all but the smallest outdoor events, so I am not sure what area/crowd size you mean by festival.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Joe Matracia

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Fri, 10 September 2010 12:11

I run HPR153's and 181's and would take them any day over the PRX's.

I do think they would be a little thin for all but the smallest outdoor events, so I am not sure what area/crowd size you mean by festival.

Thanks Jay

Church, street/city festivals. Not concert sized events.

Are you using the KW181S? I know they've discontinued the HPR series...

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »

I really like the HPR 181/153 setup. However it is discontinued. The newer KW stuff I think would be good too but it hasn't been out long enough for anybody to really comment on it.

Like wise the PRX 600 series. This looks like it could be a real winner in the budget powered market but nobody knows yet. They just haven't been out long enough.

The PRX 500 stuff was pretty good, but a little under performing in the SPL category. Good for acoustic and jazz, but I wouldn't put a real rock band on them.

Jay Barracato

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

No I have the older HPR series, so I can't specifically comment to the newer KW's.

For outdoors, basically if the crowd is within 150 feet of stage you can get ok levels, beyond that it boils down to "there is some noise over there". That is a function of the physics, Any 90 degree box with the same max output is going to fall off the same.

Jay
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Jeff Grocki

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »

Joe I am in your shoes right now as well. I have not heard the KW boxes yet but I can tell you I got to hear the Prx625 over the 618s-xlf this morning. I would really think that is goign to be a very hard combo to beat in that price range. I did not hear the 3 way box. The double 15 did sound great though. my .02$. Let me know which way you go.

Joe Matracia

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »

Jeff Grocki wrote on Fri, 10 September 2010 14:21

Joe I am in your shoes right now as well. I have not heard the KW boxes yet but I can tell you I got to hear the Prx625 over the 618s-xlf this morning. I would really think that is goign to be a very hard combo to beat in that price range. I did not hear the 3 way box. The double 15 did sound great though. my .02$. Let me know which way you go.

I did hear the KWs. The 152's were great over the 181's. But the 153's were outstanding!

That said, I havent heard the JBL stuff and the JBLPRX635's are 1500watts to the 1000watt QSC KW153's. The subs are both 1000 watts. JBL uses crown amps...

JBL635 are $999 to the $1299 qsc kw153. Subs are the same, so pricing is almost a toss up....

---

Jeff Grocki

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »

Decsions Decsions!!! Smile

Ian Coughlin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 02:00:12 AM »

Same predicament here...  Two small factors that separate the two further more in my book are- 1. The selectable front LED indicator (power, limit, off) on the QSC and 2. The casters on the QSC being on the sub as to JBL's cover/bag with casters.  

Keep in mind I've been a JBL guy and love my SRX but the previous PRX500 rig I had left a sour taste in my mouth.  I've also personally heard the PRX618S-XLF and wasn't to impressed (then again it wasn't an ideal listening being that it was in a local "DJ" store, with some burned CD audio source, no tuning, etc.)

Just my two cents and FYI I'm leaning towards the KW's

Mike Pyle also gave a good review not to long ago of the KW181's if you search it.

Jon Smith

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:58:18 AM »

Joe,

I can't comment on KW but I have a pair of the PRX615 and the 612'S. So far I am very happy with them. I have used them indoors and out. 2 outdoor festivals that included folk, Bluegrass and mild rock. Artists and audience commented on how great the sound was. Even with the rock band they held their own.

I would like to hear the PRX 618XLF And the 635's. I think you will be happy with the PRX as long as you use them within their limits. (as anything)

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.