ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cost effective dj rig?  (Read 7146 times)

(Brian) Frost

cost effective dj rig?
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:38:02 pm »

Doing an install.  Trying to incorporate some of what they already own:  JRX 125s, xti 4000, crown ce1000.  

Spec'ing the jrx they have for fills in the smaller side room, and SRX 725 tops and 728 subs, a pair of each should cover their space with an itech 6000 for bottom and the xti they have for the tops.

Choosing the crown option mainly because of its limiting and included setup with the JBL boxes.  This will be run by DJs week in and week out, so Im hoping that combination will be enough rig for the gig and be bulletproof enough that they wont blow it up constantly.  

Looking for a more cost effective solution as well.  Any suggestions?  Yorkville?  Peavey?

Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

frank kayser

Re: cost effective dj rig?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:28 pm »

The limiting on an XTI is neither graceful nor pretty.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:36:56 pm »

valid concern, tho we are talking about upgrading a pair of jrx and a single mrx sub.  hopefully they wont hit the limiters so much if I put enough rig for the gig.
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Used Peavey QW comes to mind here The subs and tops. SRX should kick some serious ass compared to your JRXs though.  I would rather use some old Crown Macrotechs that you can buy used for fairly cheap now and a good DSP with proper limiting over and XTI though. Probably come close to the same price actually.
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:16:59 pm »

And/or the XTI6000 for subs. That saves a couple bucks and matches your top amp. Even though the limiters suck, they'll be floored by the performance of the SRX vs. JRX. I doubt they'll notice the limiting.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:25:14 pm »

Yorkville LS1208's. They're big, they're loud and they're everything a DJ wants and then some. They are cheap, and don't need much power either. A Crown IT4000 would be plenty to power 4. 2 will outrun the SRX's from about 45hz and up, 4 will outrun 4 SRX's all the way across the board.

EV QRX212 on top. They need less power, cost less then the JBL and sound good too.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:47:37 am »

Use limiters.  Just because the current DJs have not blown up the current rig doesn't mean they won't hire an idiot next week.

EDIT: Also, I disagree with Evan unless his suggestion is to conserve budget resources for other things.  I would rather have SRX728S than an equal quantity of LS1208.  The SRX has more LF extension, equal efficiency within the Yorkville sub's bandpass, and 4dB more power handling.  Certainly the Yorkville subs are cheaper, but they don't win a cost/output or output/floor space comparison.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Doug Maye

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:53 am »

The Yorkies are really hard to beat for DJ venues. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the SRX subs. But the Yorkies pound hard and are ideal for club DJ rigs. Tough call, but being in Chicage makes choosing the Yorkies a lot easier. I think the distribution center for Yorkville in the states is somewhere around Buffalo NY. Thats a one day ground shipment if parts were needed. Something to think about. First time I got to use the LS1208's was a real eye opener for me. It was a festival event with 6 a side. It was plenty for the event.
at one time I was foolish enough to think I had seen it all.

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:46:05 am »

Specs say the low freq extension of the JBL is 2 hz lower in singles, max SPL of both cabinets is identical, and you can get there with less power to the LS1208.  What's the downside?  They are both large and heavy so that part is a toss up.

The 1208 did OK at the sub shootout a few years ago against some serious cabinets.  Not the tightest cabinet, but it is loud, cheap, and has reasonable response.  When you add more 1208's you begin to get better extension than the JBL also.  2-4 per side is a serious contender at the Lounge.

Jeff Knorr (Cobra Sound) has SMAART data posted on his website from the shootout.  Maybe not pound for pound, but certainly in the dollar for dollar category, 1208's are impressive subs.

EDIT: here is a link...

http://www.cobrasound.com/MDSubwoofers
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Jimmy Wright

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:43 pm »

Look up Bill Fitzmaurice
"Who needs overheads? We have 58's on vocals"
"If you can't hear the subs, try moving 4 feet"
BFM T39-Best investment of my life
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.