ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless outdoor speakers on lamp posts  (Read 21897 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Wireless outdoor speakers on lamp posts
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

Smalltown mainstreet is looking to install an outdoor wireless speaker system to play background music and possibly make announcements for special events. I am not aware of anything that would be suitable for this application. We have harsh winters and this system would be used 4 seasons. A previous proposal in a different town I have seen has indicated heaters be installed for each unit. I just see so many points for failure in a system like this, but not sure how a simple 70v system could be run due to the cables.
Suggestions?

Funny thing is, right now they have about 6 crappy bookshelf speakers mounted on the posts with about 1000' of cheap zip wire run from one post to the next. An old discarded home stereo is supplying the music from one of the stores. One of the local shopkeepers set this up himself, and I'm surprised it still works as well as it does....though not much level in the last few speakers.)

Silas Pradetto

Re: Wireless outdoor speakers on lamp posts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »

If they're running zip cord pole to pole and it's acceptable, why can't they run proper wire for a 70v system pole to pole?

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

The zip cable isn't acceptable. It works but it's not correct. Is there a speaker cable that could be used for 70v that would be able to be stretched like that? My only other concern is that they may want it run across a stoplight intersection where we won't be allow to run overhead cables.

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »

Obviously the lamp posts have power to them for the lamps but is there accessible power for an amp, RF receiver, etc. at every post?  If not, then wireless seems pretty much impractical unless somebody wants to be constantly recharging or replacing batteries.

If you have power at a minimum of one pole on each 'block' then you could use a single wireless transmitter and then for each 'block' have a receiver and amp that serves the speakers on that block.  I believe that some people have used some of the Lectrosonics wireless systems for this type of application.  You might indeed need to have some type of environmentally conditioned space for this, heating may an issue but so may be keeping everything dry including from condensation on the inside of any enclosure if the electronics get warm while it is cold outside.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »

Brad,

With all due respect, I would forget the wireless speaker idea.  I doubt you'll even find a wireless speaker that will hold up to the weather.  Secondly, all the effort around A/C and wireless signal distribution is going to be a hell of a lot more work than running good speaker wire no?  Check with the town, perhaps there is pole to pole conduit run underground you could use?  If not, can you span wire rope taught from pole to pole and then attach the speaker wire to it?  Sort of like a tight rope? Lastly, there are plenty of good sounding and extremely durable outdoor professional speakers to choose from - and will offer you far more options than anything wireless.

ScottH

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here. If they insist on going the wireless speaker route, I was planning on extricating myself out of the situation.
This just came out of left field at me yesterday so I haven't had a chance to see if there were any realistic candidates for the wireless setup. I'm imagining that they are probably thinking about those wireless garden speakers you can buy at Walmart. Probably do up the whole town for a couple hundred bucks lol.
Underground conduit would probably be too good to be true, but I'll check into that.

BJ

edited for spelling

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »

Perhaps some confusion as I did not suggest wireless speakers, in fact I said they were likely impractical.  However, BJ's one post stated there is part of the run where a wired connection may not be an option, so what I was suggesting was possibility of multiple wired subsystems with a wireless link between them or from a common source.  An amp and receiver for each susbsystem could be located at the first pole in each subsystem or in a nearby building or enclosure.

Lectrosonics makes wireless mics and IFB systems using their digital hybrid technology.  These do not use companding and thus are typically better suited for wireless transmission of music.  It's a pretty common approach to use their systems as wireless audio repeaters.

The underground conduit approach may be a good one if it is empty conduit or used just for signaling cable.  If the conduit is also used for Class 1 or similar power wiring then code prohibits running multiple Classes of cable in the same conduit or raceway.  If there is an open conduit you may want to consider direct burial or water resistant cable.

There is cable made for overhead suspension called messenger cable that has a dedicated suspension wire effectively 'siamesed' with the signal cable, however I can't find a simple single twisted pair version.  Plenty of coax versions and some UTP/CAT versions that you might be able to use.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »

Hello,

This is another case where someone knows a bit of information... except, they don't understand that using a less that commercial grade equipment is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

They want something ...CHEAP and don't want to pay the real cost of a proper system.

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 09:24

Hello,

This is another case where someone knows a bit of information... except, they don't understand that using a less that commercial grade equipment is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

They want something ...CHEAP and don't want to pay the real cost of a proper system.

Hammer

That's a given.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 11:33

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 09:24

Hello,

Hammer

That's a given.

Hello Bradford,

Stick to the "Do it right" plan. They'll find some ahole to do what they THINK they want...then you'll get the job in a few years to clean up their mess...

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.