ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless outdoor speakers on lamp posts  (Read 21896 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: Wireless outdoor speakers on lamp posts
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 12:38

Bradford "BJ" James wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 11:33

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 09:24

Hello,

This is another case where someone knows a bit of information... except, they don't understand that using a less that commercial grade equipment is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

They want something ...CHEAP and don't want to pay the real cost of a proper system.

Hammer

That's a given.

Hello Bradford,

Stick to the "Do it right" plan. They'll find some ahole to do what they THINK they want...then you'll get the job in a few years to clean up their mess...

Hammer

Ya, I'm afraid history will repeat itself.
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/555388/5162/#msg _555388

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

There is cable made for overhead suspension called messenger cable that has a dedicated suspension wire effectively 'siamesed' with the signal cable, however I can't find a simple single twisted pair version.

Look at IMSA cable. That's what's used for traffic signals and you should have no problem finding a 12/2 version with a messenger. You couldn't ask for a better cable for this. Be sure to get the proper support and attachment hardware for the cable you buy. There is hardware to attach the cable to the light posts as well as the 70v speakers to the light posts. As for that intersection, betcha there is a way to run overhead to get around that also. You just need someone who knows what they are doing.

But then all this runs counter to what they think a job like this involves and should cost.

-Hal

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:52 PM »

If there are buildings nearby, instead of trying to engineer a distributed system on lamp posts, why not design a more long throw system from buildings that could cover the same areas? For example, you could mount weather resistant long throw full range loudspeakers (like those used in stadium end zones or on top of press boxes) to some buildings and then be able to run cables inside, or across the roofs. Would require less speaker locations, and cover about the same area, if you have some good speaker mounting positions.

I used to do a distributed speaker array for a hotel's fireworks show. It required us to run thousands of feet of wire (as we didn't trust any wireless systems at the time for something so important) and took forever to install, and dismantle every year.

One year, we decided to try the area approach, and put large PA speakers on a few roofs. While we still needed to put a few delay speakers around, we saved a ton of delays, and cable, and got better coverage.

So, while a bigger weatherized speaker will cost more, it will cost less to rig and wire that a bunch of smaller pole mounted ones, saving money on the install, and total project.

And, now there are some pretty good sounding weatherized long throw speakers available, like the Community R series, so you won't sacrifice a lot (if any) of fidelity.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »

That's some great idea's guys. Thanks very much.
BJ

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 22:15

There is cable made for overhead suspension called messenger cable that has a dedicated suspension wire effectively 'siamesed' with the signal cable, however I can't find a simple single twisted pair version.

Look at IMSA cable. That's what's used for traffic signals and you should have no problem finding a 12/2 version with a messenger. You couldn't ask for a better cable for this. Be sure to get the proper support and attachment hardware for the cable you buy. There is hardware to attach the cable to the light posts as well as the 70v speakers to the light posts. As for that intersection, betcha there is a way to run overhead to get around that also. You just need someone who knows what they are doing.

But then all this runs counter to what they think a job like this involves and should cost.

-Hal

Hal,
Looks like I will be providing a quote for a wired system now.
Thanks for the info on the cable. Do you know of a supplier of this cable and clamps? The IMSA website doesn't have any listed or links to suppliers, and I have searched online. I have a few calls in to my cable vendors, but I doubt they carry this stuff.
Thanks,
BJ

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

Power and Tel Used to be Clifford of Vermont.

IMSA cable page

-Hal

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Thu, 07 October 2010 17:28

Power and Tel Used to be Clifford of Vermont.

IMSA cable page

-Hal

Thanks Hal,
I scoured the net for hours and couldn't find this.
Off to do some reading now.

BJ

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »

Couple more questions.
http://www.ptsupply.com/pdf/Catalog/Wire%20&%20Cable/IMS A.pdf

On page 6 of this chart- is this the cable I need? My main concern is that it is solid copper, and I would want to use stranded.
The town has a commercial electrical contractor they use. They will look after supplying the cable, and installing it. I just have to tell them what to use. I guess if we can't find the proper messenger cable, I could get them to run wire lashing and attach the cable of my choice.

Also looking for some advise on the maximum distance I can go.
Amps and controls will be in a central location. Cable has to run across the street then  branch off 1)up the street 3 blocks potentially 30 units 2) down the street 3 blocks with another potential 30 units. Amp will be a 2x 1200watt amp, so the total speaker load using 30 watt taps leaves me some room.
We're talking about a half mile in each direction. What IS the maximum I could go? -for future reference. If they were to go further in the distant future what do you do for runs of a mile or more?
Thanks,
BJ

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:49 PM »

bumped to add that I presume I would want to run twisted pair for this....which takes the messenger cable I mentioned out of the picture.
BJ

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »

Those pages are a little confusing. There is a lot of twisted pair available but they just give the spec, not what wire gauges are available. You don't absolutely have to use twisted pair but it would be nice. Give P&T a call and ask them for information. As for distances, you will have to do the math once you know all your run lenghts. Keep in mind that you can always bump up to 100 or even 200 volts.

-Hal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.